Sponsored

Battery dead every 5-6 months

tengg2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi y’all
Not sure if anyone has similar experience.

I bought my JLUR back in February 2021. In Early august, the battery just died without apparent cause, and I had to jump started it. Checked by the dealer, said bad cell and replaced both batteries.

now another 6 months past, it suddenly doesnt start again. I haven’t drive it for the past 5 days but there isn’t any accessories on it that could draw current. I’m using the Noco to charge it, but it still 1-bar after 6 hours. Not a good sign!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You replaced a low quality oem battery with another low quality oem battery. With a failure rate as high as we are seeing on these things, double or triple failure in one warranty period isn’t going to be too uncommon.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Which NOCO? The little one may not bring back a dead battery.

G.

OP
OP

tengg2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You replaced a low quality oem battery with another low quality oem battery. With a failure rate as high as we are seeing on these things, double or triple failure in one warranty period isn’t going to be too uncommon.
I know.. But even though Mopar's battery has a defect rate of 10% (assuming this is a defect one), got two bad in a row is kinda rare statistiacally. I'm start to think if it's possible that some other part rather than battery could contribute to this?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I know.. But even though Mopar's battery has a defect rate of 10% (assuming this is a defect one), got two bad in a row is kinda rare statistiacally. I'm start to think if it's possible that some other part rather than battery could contribute to this?
of course it would feel like a rare occurrence for it to happen to you, but it’s a statistical guarantee that it will happen to someone. Just as likely to be you as anyone else.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
If you have a multimeter you can check for a parasitic draw by following the steps in the video below. I know you sad you don't have any accessories added that would be causing the battery to go low but something is doing it.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Just put a Optima DH6. Only $300 or so, and 3 year free replacement, in any auto zone store. Why bother with another junk battery?

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
of course it would feel like a rare occurrence for it to happen to you, but it’s a statistical guarantee that it will happen to someone. Just as likely to be you as anyone else.
Statistical possibility maybe, no a guarantee. You have something else wrong with your Jeep.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
My personal hunch would be that you're doing something to drain the battery without realizing it. While the OEM batteries frequently fail, that would be extremely fast to go through 2 in 6 months. Me personally, both my main and aux were fine for nearly 3 years before I preemptively replaced. So it's surprising to see a thread like this, even though they come up frequently.

Do you have a dashcam that's frequently recording?

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
If indeed the OEM batteries have a 10% defect rate then OP has a 1 in 100 chance of having two bad batteries in a row. One more replacement gives him 1 in 1000. I'd still check for parasites.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Maybe I missed it, but what engine do you have? It does sound like you may have some kind of draw on your Jeep.