Batteries - What's up with them?

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
It does not get rid of or replace the smart charging in the JL wrangler. After installing the Genesis, your charging system will still operate in "not so smart" mode, leaving your Odyssey batteries under charged.

There are some threads running around that make mention of disconnecting the battery sensor in order to force your alternator into 14V+ permanently. But I would be worried about over charging the battery during long trips, which will also destroy your battery.

Currently, I am looking into DC to DC chargers, and if I will be able to connect one of these in order to keep the Genesis system properly charged. But it's getting expensive!
I agree that the oem charging system is insufficient. I have not tried to disconnect the sensor, however it’s said to charge at 14.4v constant if you do, which should be plenty safe for the Odyssey batteries. I ended up buying a NOCO dual bank on board charger to keep them charged up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
May want to check with Genesis, for some reason I don't think the Optima batteries will work with their setup.

I went with Odyssey for mine and have no complaints.
They say it can be any battery so long as it is a group 25 size battery. I went with the Optimas since I am in Chicago and according to the video above, the Optimas perform better in cold climate--at least that's what I am hoping for...

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
They say it can be any battery so long as it is a group 25 size battery. I went with the Optimas since I am in Chicago and according to the video above, the Optimas perform better in cold climate--at least that's what I am hoping for...
Yep you are correct, just double checked their website. Optimas are GTG with the genesis kit

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I agree that the oem charging system is insufficient. I have not tried to disconnect the sensor, however it’s said to charge at 14.4v constant if you do, which should be plenty safe for the Odyssey batteries. I ended up buying a NOCO dual bank on board charger to keep them charged up.
Seems the voltage is 14.7 with the sensor disconnected. I just tried it this morning. Now I'm worried I might be overcharging my batteries on longer multi hour trips...?

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Seems the voltage is 14.7 with the sensor disconnected. I just tried it this morning. Now I'm worried I might be overcharging my batteries on longer multi hour trips...?
I tried it myself for the first time this morning as well. I got an auto start service message and light upon startup. Turned the jeep off and plugged it back in and everything was clear again. In the threads I read I don't remember hearing about disconnecting it causing any warning lights. Did you have this issue when you tried it?

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried it myself for the first time this morning as well. I got an auto start service message and light upon startup. Turned the jeep off and plugged it back in and everything was clear again. In the threads I read I don't remember hearing about disconnecting it causing any warning lights. Did you have this issue when you tried it?
I did not, no. And I specifically made sure to enable ESS on my drive to work this morning, and all is working as expected. Are you also using the Genesis dual battery system like me?

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I did not, no. And I specifically made sure to enable ESS on my drive to work this morning, and all is working as expected. Are you also using the Genesis dual battery system like me?
Yes. I'm running a tazer mini with ESS off upon startup, maybe that had something to do with it...not sure.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I'm running a tazer mini with ESS off upon startup, maybe that had something to do with it...not sure.
I'm running the exact same system as well with ESS disabled on startup. It could be your battery voltage, as I've seen that error light and message before when my batteries weren't fully charged with a 12.84V resting voltage. It was intermittent though.

It may have absolutely nothing to do with the disconnected IBS sensor. Because I've had that light trip using the ESS when I still had the sensor plugged in.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the exact same system as well with ESS disabled on startup. It could be your battery voltage, as I've seen that error light and message before when my batteries weren't fully charged with a 12.84V resting voltage. It was intermittent though.

It may have absolutely nothing to do with the disconnected IBS sensor. Because I've had that light trip using the ESS when I still had the sensor plugged in.
I am having an interesting ESS issue with the @Genesis Offroad installed. I called Genesis and I am told that Chrysler has designed the ESS to stop functioning each 6 cycles. I did not have any issues before but I never counted the cycles and so I find it all pretty bizarre that I am now getting a notice that ESS isn't working and needs to be serviced after installing the double battery setup. So I am puzzled...

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am having an interesting ESS issue with the @Genesis Offroad installed. I called Genesis and I am told that Chrysler has designed the ESS to stop functioning each 6 cycles. I did not have any issues before but I never counted the cycles and so I find it all pretty bizarre that I am now getting a notice that ESS isn't working and needs to be serviced after installing the double battery setup. So I am puzzled...
You can't be serious. You were told that it is supposed to stop working after 6 start/stop cycles, as designed by Chrysler?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase

rolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2DR
Thanks!
They are Ion rims matte black series 171 and Toyo Open Country R/T 33x12.5 18s.
Very nice. Are the caps "push through" or do they just bolt on the face of the wheel. Trying to find a 8 hole wheel where I can also use hubcentric rings (which usually aren't compatible with push through caps).

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Anyone find out what the stock battery group size is?

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Anyone find out what the stock battery group size is?
from my research on the forums, battery sizes on ESS JLs are:

Main: H6/Group 48 12.0625x6.875x7.5625” or 306x175x192mm LxWxH

Mini Battery: AUX14 - Group 400