Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I am upgrading to the @Genesis Offroad dual battery and the kit requires two group 25 sized batteries. I have looked around and the price on these batteries varies widely!
For example:
There is the Odyssey that goes to $296 on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Odyssey-25-PC1400T-Automotive-LTV-Battery/dp/B00249CS5U/) and then there are others less expensive like the Optima for $180 each (https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/optim...5-720-cca-top-post-8025-160/_/R-BCFJ-8025-160).

So what's with the huge price difference? What criteria should I use in making the decision as to which one to go with?

Guidance will be appreciated.

Photo for attention!

Jeep-Rhonda-8008-Edit.jpg
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There is a large degree of reliability between the two brands you mentioned. Ă“ptima used to be a decent brand.

I use the Odyssey brand and have been very happy. Buy once, cry once.

Photo for attention: haha

29BDB985-518D-41D8-B6F7-315699B45D5C.jpeg

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
PSA - I have had bad luck with Optima batteries in the past. Specifically two red top batteries in a row that lasted no longer than a year.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I am upgrading to the @Genesis Offroad dual battery and the kit requires two group 25 sized batteries. I have looked around and the price on these batteries varies widely!
For example:
There is the Odyssey that goes to $296 on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Odyssey-25-PC1400T-Automotive-LTV-Battery/dp/B00249CS5U/) and then there are others less expensive like the Optima for $180 each (https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/optim...5-720-cca-top-post-8025-160/_/R-BCFJ-8025-160).

So what's with the huge price difference? What criteria should I use in making the decision as to which one to go with?

Guidance will be appreciated.

Photo for attention!

Jeep-Rhonda-8008-Edit.jpg

Hi, what rims and tires are those? They look so very cool. Thanks.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have had very good luck with Optima's in the past and when I upgrade to the Genesis Dual Battery system, I will likely go with them again. Also, each one is about 19 pounds less than the Odyssey's.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I have had very good luck with Optima's in the past and when I upgrade to the Genesis Dual Battery system, I will likely go with them again. Also, each one is about 19 pounds less than the Odyssey's.
I’ve got a Genesis system sitting here, getting rid of the factory crap ASAP.

Just a heads up.....one thing to think about with regards to battery weight. Higher weight means more lead, which is a good thing.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, what rims and tires are those? They look so very cool. Thanks.
Thanks!
They are Ion rims matte black series 171 and Toyo Open Country R/T 33x12.5 18s.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Just FYI, I also installed the Genesis system over the summer, and I'm having issues with BOTH of my Odyssey batteries. Neither one will hold a charge above 12.5 volts, even when using an Odyssey approved charger.

These batteries should have a resting voltage of 12.84 volts when fully charged.

It seems the Odyssey batteries, really do not get along well with our "smart charging" systems. Those batteries require a very specific charging profile, in order to be charged to max capacity, and being undercharged will cause the batteries to sulfate and lose capacity, turning what should be a 7 to 10 year battery into a 2 to 3 year battery at most.

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI, I also installed the Genesis system over the summer, and I'm having issues with BOTH of my Odyssey batteries. Neither one will hold a charge above 12.5 volts, even when using an Odyssey approved charger.

These batteries should have a resting voltage of 12.84 volts when fully charged.

It seems the Odyssey batteries, really do not get along well with our "smart charging" systems. Those batteries require a very specific charging profile, in order to be charged to max capacity, and being undercharged will cause the batteries to sulfate and lose capacity, turning what should be a 7 to 10 year battery into a 2 to 3 year battery at most.
I thought replacing the ess with the genesis dual battery kit circumvented the need for the “smart charging” and the computer never engaged that profile since it never “sees” the second battery? This is concerning because I was planning on the same mod soon....

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
May want to check with Genesis, for some reason I don't think the Optima batteries will work with their setup.

I went with Odyssey for mine and have no complaints.

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I thought replacing the ess with the genesis dual battery kit circumvented the need for the “smart charging” and the computer never engaged that profile since it never “sees” the second battery? This is concerning because I was planning on the same mod soon....
I believe it works as normal, you just have a much larger second battery with the Genesis system. Tazer mini is your friend if you want the ESS gone.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
It does not get rid of or replace the smart charging in the JL wrangler. After installing the Genesis, your charging system will still operate in "not so smart" mode, leaving your Odyssey batteries under charged.

There are some threads running around that make mention of disconnecting the battery sensor in order to force your alternator into 14V+ permanently. But I would be worried about over charging the battery during long trips, which will also destroy your battery.

Currently, I am looking into DC to DC chargers, and if I will be able to connect one of these in order to keep the Genesis system properly charged. But it's getting expensive!
Sponsored