Sponsored

3.6L V6 with eTorque; how many batteries?

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the V6 with eTorque on my Sahara, because it was the only V6 with automatic. Only the Rubi could be ordered with the V6/no eTorque. Anyway, now I notice on the build that there is no mention of ESS, but there is a 600 Amp maintenance free battery, belt start generator, and oil cooler. I know there is usually a motorcycle-size battery behind the passenger footwell for the ESS, but for eTorque there must be another battery somewhere? So now there are 3? Or, would this eTorque not have ESS? I get the impression that I may have one of the few V6 eTorques on the road (it is due on the 25th). Does anyone have one yet?
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The battery set up should be the same as the 2.0T with BSG. IIRC there is a normal 12V car battery in the engine compartment and then a 2nd (48V?) LI battery in the rear under a skid plate.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
I ordered the V6 with eTorque on my Sahara, because it was the only V6 with automatic. Only the Rubi could be ordered with the V6/no eTorque. Anyway, now I notice on the build that there is no mention of ESS, but there is a 600 Amp maintenance free battery, belt start generator, and oil cooler. I know there is usually a motorcycle-size battery behind the passenger footwell for the ESS, but for eTorque there must be another battery somewhere? So now there are 3? Or, would this eTorque not have ESS? I get the impression that I may have one of the few V6 eTorques on the road (it is due on the 25th). Does anyone have one yet?
The 2020 Sports can get a V6 automatic without eTorque.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
There will be a large 48v battery under the body on the driver side.
Screenshot_20190826-204326_Chrome.jpg

However, your engine will still shut off after coming to a stop. The 3.6 without E-Torque uses the second smaller battery to power the radio and some climate controls while the engine is off, (I don't know if the E-torque has the small battery) the E-Torque setup uses the 48v battery to spin a small electric motor to start the engine instead of a starter. This also helps provide smoother shifting and get the Jeep moving from a stand still, but provides no real noticable power increase.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
There will be a large 48v battery under the body on the driver side.
Screenshot_20190826-204326_Chrome.jpg

However, your engine will still shut off after coming to a stop. The 3.6 without E-Torque uses the second smaller battery to power the radio and some climate controls while the engine is off, (I don't know if the E-torque has the small battery) the E-Torque setup uses the 48v battery to spin a small electric motor to start the engine instead of a starter. This also helps provide smoother shifting and get the Jeep moving from a stand still, but provides no real noticable power increase.
If it’s the same a the Ram, it’ll be done giving it’s push (90 lb ft iirc) and done by 1500rpm. Just enough to get you going and saving some city mpg.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Electronic Stop Start (ESS) has 2 12v batteries under the hood and utilizes the starter motor for both cold starts and stop/start events.

Belt Start Generator (BSG) has 1 12v battery under the hood and a second 48v battery mounted as shown above. The 12v battery handles cold starts and the 48v takes care of stop/start events, provides extra torque from idle to 1800 rpm (if memory serves), aids in smoother and quicker up- and down-shifts and enhances enginebraking, and is charged by both the generator and by using the brakes.

Last edited:

Roadking12

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have had my etorque V6 for 3 months and appears to be very smooth. Also agree with other comments on stop/start being seem less. Actually at first had to make sure it was actually turned on. However no longevity results yet for the battery.
Sponsored