Backing Into Parking Spots: The Debate

ShawnPAJL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
I usually pull forward into spots. With the JL's parking sensors and rearview camera, my situational awareness when first starting to back out is better than when I'm trying to pull forward to leave with my view blocked by two Ford Exploders or something along those lines. Backing in was the best option before modern tech but at this point, it's less cut and dried.
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
A few years ago I was working a valet job in college where all of the cars were to be backed into their spot. These spots were super tight and company policy demanded that we only back in. Basically, since then I have almost always backed my vehicles into parking spots. My fiancé is ever so embarrassed when i do this because she is opposed to reverse parking as it seems stupid and that normal parking just makes more sense.

My caveat: I will not back into parking spots in parking structures, OR if I am going to be making someone else wait for me. ( If Someone is behind me)

It doesnt ever Take more than putting the car into reverse to get the job done, no multiple point turns or that nonSense. If it takes more forwards and backwards I often say that the spot is too small lol and I ought to be parked back more in the Lot.

Is backing into parking spots a frowned upon thing? It seems that many people find it annoying, but it seems of those people the annoying part is them having to wait while some ding dong makes a 15 point turn to park. Thoughts? LOL
Backing in is actually more practical than driving in. Leaving is easier because you can just pull out while seeing if there is any traffic coming instead of backing out and stopping every few seconds to make sure a car or pedestrians arent in your path. You can also adjust how the vehicle lines up easier backing in as well. The only downside is the access to the tailgate could be blocked.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'm another back in guy. I almost always back in (or pull though if two spaces are open). I've owned a lot of trucks so it's been a habit of mine for a long time.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Backing in is safer, although I dont do it all of the time at the grocery store or home depot, dont want someone getting so close that I cant open the rear gate.

There have been many studies that show backing in is safer. Couple towns I read about changed the parking in their downtown areas (angled parking) to back in angled parking. So much safer for pedestrian traffic and passing cars when you are pulling out.

I back into my garage as well, mostly for taking the top off near the back. I back in and park under it as well, not sure why some people pull in nose first with the top hanging from the ceiling.

BUT, to each their own...as long as they dont back into me in the parking lot!

baudo219

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Backing in is way safer. I work in the insurance business and the amount of claims we handle from parking lots where both parties were backing out of a spot is unreal. Back in when you get there and when you pull out, you don't have to worry about backing into someone or something else. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I back in whenever feasible (IE: not holding up others, directional parking lanes, etc). It's just easier to get in properly, and then easier to see clearly as you leave.

I used to back into the garage, because I get the right side of the garage, and backing in, meant I had better view of how close I was the to the wall, which maximized space between mine and my wife's vehicles. I don't currently back the Jeep in because my motorcycle is parked on the side now, and there isn't enough room to open the door to get out.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Backing in is way safer. I work in the insurance business and the amount of claims we handle from parking lots where both parties were backing out of a spot is unreal. Back in when you get there and when you pull out, you don't have to worry about backing into someone or something else. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

or the idiot doing 90mph through the parking lot, and refuses to let you out, even though your half way out already, and zips around you then flips you off like you did something wrong.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I back in wherever possible. Most parking lots around here don't have bumpers so I'll sometimes pull through instead. The rear visibility on the JL is good, and the cross-path sensors can see cars that I can't, but if I'm pulling forward out of a space and someone backs into me, I have dash cam footage on my side... if we're both backing then it becomes more complicated.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I try to get everywhere I need to be with a few minutes to spare, so that I'm not bothered walking a bit further and parking slightly further out, so I always back in unless I'd be making others wait for me.

But my wife pulls in straight at home, so I reverse. That way, driver doors are on opposite sides and we can maximize space.

I think the only rule should be that if you back in, you better back in well and not block traffic to do so.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also pay attention to who I pull in between in a parking lot. I try to avoid vehicles that look like they're on a beer run from the demolition derby.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I have been parking farther away from the entrances, where I can either find a place to pull through or have plenty of room to back in without making others wait. The exception being if I know I'm going to have to open the tailgate fully to get whatever I'm buying in the Jeep. Because when I need to and I back in, invariably someone will pull in REAL close behind me where I can't open the tailgate.

The rear camera and the warning system help out a lot if I do end up where I have to back out.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
But who backs in to their garage? I don’t, but my neighbor does and I find it strange. Besides being unnecessarily difficult, you’re filling the garage with exhaust.

In parking lots I pull in unless I’m driving my wife’s Yukon XL. The Yukon is sooooo long; backing in is easier and pulling back out is much safer. My 2dr Jeep is easier to just pull in.
I do because, due to an inconvenient places parking block, thats the only way my jeep fits with the garage door closed, also am able to use a ceiling hoist for the hard top

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I try to back in most of the time, but a pull-through situation is the Holy Grail.

Lives2fish

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JLU - Stingray
I guess this topic is void in Florida since it's illegal to back into a spot. (Some counties allow it)
Sponsored