Backing Into Parking Spots: The Debate

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
A few years ago I was working a valet job in college where all of the cars were to be backed into their spot. These spots were super tight and company policy demanded that we only back in. Basically, since then I have almost always backed my vehicles into parking spots. My fiancé is ever so embarrassed when i do this because she is opposed to reverse parking as it seems stupid and that normal parking just makes more sense.

My caveat: I will not back into parking spots in parking structures, OR if I am going to be making someone else wait for me. ( If Someone is behind me)

It doesnt ever Take more than putting the car into reverse to get the job done, no multiple point turns or that nonSense. If it takes more forwards and backwards I often say that the spot is too small lol and I ought to be parked back more in the Lot.

Is backing into parking spots a frowned upon thing? It seems that many people find it annoying, but it seems of those people the annoying part is them having to wait while some ding dong makes a 15 point turn to park. Thoughts? LOL
Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I also back in almost everywhere.

To me it's easier and I think it is safer. When I arrive to a spot I have seen all around me and back in knowing what's there. When I leave I am driving forward and again have full vision of what's around me.

When I back out of spots I feel blind and I'm just hoping that anyone coming isn't going to hit me as I pull out slowly.

Last edited:

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I always back in. Backing into parking spots makes more sense than trying to back out of a spot when you can't see rear cross traffic. Companies I have worked for also require drivers to back into spots.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
But who backs in to their garage? I don’t, but my neighbor does and I find it strange. Besides being unnecessarily difficult, you’re filling the garage with exhaust.

In parking lots I pull in unless I’m driving my wife’s Yukon XL. The Yukon is sooooo long; backing in is easier and pulling back out is much safer. My 2dr Jeep is easier to just pull in.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I back my crew cab pickup with a 6.5' bed in most times because it's easier, or I pull though so that it's facing out if the lot is empty enough. In my 2 door Jeep, it's really easy to pull straight in without backing, so that's what I do most of the time. If the spot is tight, I tend to prefer backing in.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
But who backs on to their garage? I don’t, but my neighbor does and I find it strange. Besides being unnecessarily difficult, you’re filling the garage with exhaust.

In parking lots I pull in unless I’m driving my wife’s Yukon XL. The Yukon is sooooo long; backing in is easier and pulling back out is much safer. My 2dr Jeep is easier to just pull in.
I actually back into my garage, it is super narrow. Its in an apartment complex i live in. I think through the door I have about 1 foot on each side past the front fenders. If the garage was bigger I wouldn’t, never used to when I was in highschool

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
But who backs on to their garage? I don’t, but my neighbor does and I find it strange. Besides being unnecessarily difficult, you’re filling the garage with exhaust.

I back into my garage in my current house, and 2/3 previous residences. It is more of a function of which side I’m parking on. I try to keep the driver door on the inside of the garage to allow maximum clearance for both vehicles.
The lift will change that, jeep won’t fit.

Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392

I back in to my garage. It takes all of 10 sec so I doubt exhaust is a problem.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I usually back end. But I am also used to driving large trucks and vans where I can’t see out the back. Easier to back in and also helps when leaving.

Last edited:

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
In a tight spot I drive in forwards. If it is extra tight my wife will guide me. If I reverse in than I cannot open the tailgate because a wall will be in the way!

I drive forwards into my garage. Firstly its the exhaust and secondly, I can open the tailgate.
Sponsored