First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLU Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Adult Day Care
The problem is that the 2021 with the OEM front camera uses a different rear cable/extension. Rear camera will NOT work with the extension cable that fits 2018-2020. Ask me how I know.
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The problem is that the 2021 with the OEM front camera uses a different rear cable/extension. Rear camera will NOT work with the extension cable that fits 2018-2020. Ask me how I know.
From what I understand all you have to do is trim the little tabs off for it to work.

From LOD's instructions on rear camera install for 2021s
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up Camera wire extension Snap3

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Well, it looks like that cable will fit. The original part number posted in this thread was PE38748A-12. They told me it is "out of stock and one of it's components has been discontinued." They suggested PE3C6305-12 be used in it's place and that's what they sent. It does not fit. It's basically the same fittings but the alignment tabs are not in the right places. As someone else noted, I would need to trim part of the fitting for it to work.

I just sent them an email about exchanging it for PE38753H-12. It looks like those are the correct fittings.
I don't know if this is the right size plug, but it appears to be the right clocking for the anti-rotation features. black connector, it appears that the color connector dictates orientation.
Pasternack link

And it is not white, but white has the "block" key on the correct side, but the "wing" or "triangle" key is pointing up instead of out horizontally.

See diagram on spec sheet.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this is the right size plug, but it appears to be the right clocking for the anti-rotation features. black connector, it appears that the color connector dictates orientation.
Pasternack link

And it is not white, but white has the "block" key on the correct side, but the "wing" or "triangle" key is pointing up instead of out horizontally.

See diagram on spec sheet.
The connector notches are specific for a reason.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...mera-wire-extension.45405/page-2#post-1451853

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
did you give the wrong link? this points to nothing of substance that explains the variations in clocking features.

the spec sheet I posted basically tells you there is really no electric difference between the different colors. From what I see the descriptions for the shapes are what are commonly used. Its the same coax with the same impedance, so all that varies is the connector. A connector is a piece of plastic giving a mechanical latch for making a connection. The only variance that could be present that isn't listed on the spec sheet would be the signal pin size and shield capture OD. When it comes time for me to do this I'm going to check my plug and see what color plug it aligns to. From LODs diagram, it appears to be black.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies guess the link was to the wrong post. I was just raising a flag since the notches are intentional. Sounded like a square peg was being pounded into a round hole.

When I needed to extend the rear camera cable, I reached out to the company with pictures of the plug. They sent me an extension specifically for the application.

I was trying to say it might be safer to do the same for the front camera application. It was just a suggestion, hoping it would help. Good luck.

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
My apologies guess the link was to the wrong post. I was just raising a flag since the notches are intentional. Sounded like a square peg was being pounded into a round hole.

When I needed to extend the rear camera cable, I reached out to the company with pictures of the plug. They sent me an extension specifically for the application.

I was trying to say it might be safer to do the same for the front camera application. It was just a suggestion, hoping it eould
I didn't know people were trying to extend the front camera. With the front camera equipped jeeps (I don't know if it is also for 2021 jeeps w/o front camera) there is a different camera housing which has a different connector features. This is what I've seen most people discuss. I have one of these cameras, but I have not gotten to the point where I'm going move it. But that day is coming up soon in the next couple weeks and I will find out what is needed then. But I do know it all depends on where you are trying to connect to the camera cable because jeep has male-male cables and female-female cables which is weird, but maybe its done so the assembly line doesn't plug in the wrong cable assembly in the wrong place.

206dude

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just a quick note if you order from Pasternack . . . they claim to make all wires "to order" and therefore, everything is a "custom order." So, no returns of any kind for any reason. They are pretty pricey for what you get, and once your order it you own it. Buyer beware.