Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
The auxiliary battery failed at the end of a three day off road camping trip with my son, grandson, and couple of friends. We pulled off the freeway about a mile from home and the ESS engaged, stopping the engine. As soon as I took my foot off the brake the engine died with all kinds of warnings and beeping, and wouldn't restart. This was on a Sunday so I had it towed home, removed all of our gear, and then towed to the dealer Monday afternoon. It sat at the dealer Tuesday and Wednesday due to power outages throughout the area. The service rep called me each day to let me know they couldn't look at until they got power, which was late Wednesday. He called me late Thursday morning telling me it was ready to pick up, and said the auxiliary battery and fuse board failed.

The service ticket stated: FOUND NO POWER TO VEHICLE INTERIOR. TRACED & FOUND BLOWN FUSE #3 IN PDC FUSE ARRAY. TESTED BATTERY AND FOUND AUX BATTERY FAILED CAUSING SURGE BACK FROM MAIN BATTERY BLOWING FUSE. REMOVED AND REPLACED AUX BATTERY. REPLACED FUSE ARRAY IN PDC. The parts they replaced were 68368854AA and BBAUX101AA.

This happened on a 2019 JLUR with about 16,000 miles. I have a 2.5" lift with 35's and a winch. Also installed Baja Design LP6's and BD backup lights, connected to the factory auxiliary switches. I was concerned the dealer would give me warranty issues, but fixed it without question.

If this happened a few hours earlier we could have been stuck 200 miles from home and miles from the nearest paved road. I plan on getting a spare auxiliary battery, which I can replace if necessary, but the fuse array appears to be above my pay scale.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auxiliary Battery Blues Alabama Hills 20210116-5830-Edit-1600 (2)
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Did a quick check on P/N 68368854AA, about $80.00

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's what typically happens with the ESS systems to cause this. The main battery positive terminal is disconnected and allowed to make contact with a grounded surface, not knowing that the ESS aux battery is still connected to the terminal. This causes the ESS High Current fuse to blow, which isolates the ESS aux battery from the alternator and the main battery. This leaves only the ESS aux battery powering the system electronics and when it runs down, there's no power to the system electronics.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Thanks for sharing this info.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So did you disconnect cables and possibly short something out, I would think just pulling over and stopping would not cause a short in the high current fuse bar

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
To add a tad bit of confusion here..... last night, I messaged @Jebiruph and mentioned that this thread was talking about a 68368854AA ......

I stumbled with this......HUH........ huh, because for the last 2.5 years here, we have been talking about part # 68368853AA as the part # for the fuse array for the JL/JLU.. I carry a spare 53AA in my JL.

Turns out there are actually two different fuse arrays that are/could be used on the JL/JLU/JT.
One of the arrays has a 60 amp fan fuse(53AA) and the other has a 100 amp fan fuse...(54AA)

On edit: The 68368854AA is for a JL /JLU/JT with the tow package...
]

Last edited:
OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
So did you disconnect cables and possibly short something out, I would think just pulling over and stopping would not cause a short in the high current fuse bar
What I neglected to mention in my original post was that when I got home I did some "trouble shooting" and disconnected the positive battery cable, reconnected, and tried starting the vehicle. It started momentarily and then died. This left it with no power whatsoever. Sounds like I made a bad situation worse by doing something stupid. This is good to know as I won't be making the same mistake again. Also, this tells me that maybe this was a simple aux. battery failure, which is something even I can change on the trail and not get stranded.
thanks,

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
To add a tad bit of confusion here..... last night, I messaged @Jebiruph and mentioned that this thread was talking about a 68368854AA ......

I stumbled with this......HUH........ huh, because for the last 2.5 years here, we have been talking about part # 68368853AA as the part # for the fuse array for the JL/JLU.. I carry a spare 53AA in my JL.

Turns out there are actually two different fuse arrays that are/could be used on the JL/JLU/JT.
One of the arrays has a 60 amp fan fuse(53AA) and the other has a 100 amp fan fuse...(54AA)

With that said, now confusion exists for us, what fuse array is used for what/which JL/JLU/JT.

Another words, what actually dictates what fuse array you use for a specific vehicle.. Hmmmmmm..
Interesting. I didn't know anything about this a few days ago and still in over my head, but maybe I'll get an extra 100 amp fuse as a spare, and learn how to change it.
Thanks,

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
least it happened close to home!

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I believe that the 60 Amp type is for vehicles without the AUX Switch pack and the 100 Amp is with AUX Switches.. Seems to make sense.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/Jeep/FUSE-ARRAY-Z-Case-Export/13261863/68368854AA.html

Since I added the AUX Switches myself, my Wrangler should have the 60 Amp fuse. Whenever it gets above freezing up here in Maine I will go look. If I have a 60 Amp fuse link I will probably order a 100 amp link from the referenced site.
It's the radiator fan fuse, 60 or 100 amp fan.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
It's the radiator fan fuse, 60 or 100 amp fan.
Yep, comes with towing package my Sport came without towing or AUX Switch pkg and I was right. It has a 60 Amp fuse link on the array.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up scrapping the auxiliary battery and installing a genesis dual battery kit and have never looked back. Gives you a whole lot more confidence when off-roading by yourself. The downside is that Jeep will may give you grief about your warranty.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The auxiliary battery failed at the end of a three day off road camping trip with my son, grandson, and couple of friends. We pulled off the freeway about a mile from home and the ESS engaged, stopping the engine. As soon as I took my foot off the brake the engine died with all kinds of warnings and beeping, and wouldn't restart. This was on a Sunday so I had it towed home, removed all of our gear, and then towed to the dealer Monday afternoon. It sat at the dealer Tuesday and Wednesday due to power outages throughout the area. The service rep called me each day to let me know they couldn't look at until they got power, which was late Wednesday. He called me late Thursday morning telling me it was ready to pick up, and said the auxiliary battery and fuse board failed.

The service ticket stated: FOUND NO POWER TO VEHICLE INTERIOR. TRACED & FOUND BLOWN FUSE #3 IN PDC FUSE ARRAY. TESTED BATTERY AND FOUND AUX BATTERY FAILED CAUSING SURGE BACK FROM MAIN BATTERY BLOWING FUSE. REMOVED AND REPLACED AUX BATTERY. REPLACED FUSE ARRAY IN PDC. The parts they replaced were 68368854AA and BBAUX101AA.

This happened on a 2019 JLUR with about 16,000 miles. I have a 2.5" lift with 35's and a winch. Also installed Baja Design LP6's and BD backup lights, connected to the factory auxiliary switches. I was concerned the dealer would give me warranty issues, but fixed it without question.

If this happened a few hours earlier we could have been stuck 200 miles from home and miles from the nearest paved road. I plan on getting a spare auxiliary battery, which I can replace if necessary, but the fuse array appears to be above my pay scale.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auxiliary Battery Blues Alabama Hills 20210116-5830-Edit-1600 (2)
Is this concern still present or has the dealer been able to repair? If you still need assistance, please don't hesitate to send our team a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored