Sponsored

Automated Suction cup marks left on front windshield...removal?

BrianinNC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I see these as well when the sun hits just right. I've cleaned the windshield many times, but never tried alcohol. If they're actually on the glass, wouldn't they be covered (and thus impossible to clean) by any tinting?
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I see these as well when the sun hits just right. I've cleaned the windshield many times, but never tried alcohol. If they're actually on the glass, wouldn't they be covered (and thus impossible to clean) by any tinting?
Well, we're talking about the windshield here and other than maybe a couple of inches of the glass at the top, most states probably don't allow you to tint the windshield.

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I didn't see any further replies on this to confirm if the isopropyl alcohol worked or not. Can someone confirm? Also was it for sure on the inside or the outside? I just noticed this on my 3 week old vehicle for the first time last night when the interior got foggy. But to me it would make more sense that the suction cups would be on the outside during the manufacturing process, but perhaps the windshield gets put on the windshield frame before it gets mounted to the rest of the body, in which case I could they could suction from the inside.

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I can't confirm the isopropyl alcohol itself will work or not, but I have them on mine and have had them on other vehicle in the past. I got rid of them pretty much on accident once. I treat all my windshields with Rainx on the outside. I started doing it to the inside once I had a convertible for the first time. When I got my S2000 then my 2007 Wrangler and I will be doing it on my new JL (which will make the inside easier by dropping the windshield!!! Anyway, this is what I do:

First, I take a window cleaner (I use Invisible glass) and wipe the window down real good. Then I use 0000 steel wool and buff the crap out of it (will also take hard water spots and bugs and crap off of it) you can do this in any direction (circular, up and down, side to side, etc) It wont matter. Then I use rubbing alcohol on the whole windshield and really 'buff' it on. After that I used a window cleaner again. Then I take a micro fiber and soak it in the RainX and wipe it all over the window. I allow it to dry to a haze and then reapply the RainX. Again I let it haze and repeat one more time. Then, after the hazing I take another micro fiber and get it soaked with water and wipe the window down. Take another micro fiber, damp, and wipe it down again. Then I use another to buff the window. DONE!

Sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't take that long. It will usually last the entire spring and summer. I repeat again in the fall. Sometimes I will reapply the RainX when I do a lot of off roading and get mud on the window or I use a lot of wiper fluid, it starts to take it off. The inside will last a really long time! If you leave the top and doors of on those dew filled nights, it really helps the morning commute :cwl: I plan to do this Tuesday with mine, so I will see if I get the UFO off the glass.

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
91% IPA then invisible glass and still have these F'ers

would anyone suggest a heat gun? Im thinking its a rubber/silicone snail trail so maybe a lil heat will do it?

IMG_0477.JPG

Sponsored

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
91% IPA then invisible glass and still have these F'ers

would anyone suggest a heat gun? Im thinking its a rubber/silicone snail trail so maybe a lil heat will do it?

IMG_0477.JPG
Have you tried IPA with a magic eraser? The ME adds mechanical action (think light sanding) to the solvent power of IPA. If that doesn’t work for you, increase the mechanical action by going to 0000 Steel wool in place of the ME.

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Have you tried IPA with a magic eraser? The ME adds mechanical action (think light sanding) to the solvent power of IPA. If that doesn’t work for you, increase the mechanical action by going to 0000 Steel wool in place of the ME.
for sure going to try this next, thanks!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I used Barkeepers friend (mild abrasive powder) followed by magic eraser and glass cleaner....seemed to do the trick for me.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I had three suction cup marks on my windshield. I first tried Isopropyl alcohol without success. I then used a couple of drops of actone on a soft cotton rag...the marks wiped off immediately!

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I had three suction cup marks on my windshield. I first tried Isopropyl alcohol without success. I then used a couple of drops of actone on a soft cotton rag...the marks wiped off immediately!
My next chore. Thanks!

:like:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My next chore. Thanks!

:like:
Carb cleaner might also work, but spray it on the paper towel well away from anything plastic since it reacts badly with certain plastics -- like clear plastics in motorcycle windshields.. :(

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
As it happens, I just got some acetone to install my headliner.

Pefecto.

Now I just have to wait for just the right light to see if I ever see those UFO's again. lol

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As it happens, I just got some acetone to install my headliner.

Pefecto.

Now I just have to wait for just the right light to see if I ever see those UFO's again. lol
Fingernail polish remover is just acetone plus some fragrance oils and a higher price tag. Buy a gallon of it and use it to refill your wife's fingernail polish remover bottle periodically.

71beepbeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
I have these tire tread patterns on my hardtop side windows. I just noticed them last nite. You can only see them in certain light conditions or when you wipe the glass with a damp cloth. It looks like assembly line belt marks.
Sponsored