Sponsored

Automated Suction cup marks left on front windshield...removal?

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi there,

When I got my JL back in April... lets just say delivery was a bit hurried. The dealers so called detail meant they hosed off the Jeep and slapped some crap on the tires to make them greasy as hell. Nonetheless I was so happy to get the JEEP I didn't think much of it.

OK...so just to set the record straight I am not a neat freak...I have only washed my Jeep one time since getting it. I sort of figure dirt comes along with a JEEP so I am not stressed that it gets dirty. However since receiving the JEEP there have been approximately seven 4 inch spots on the front windshield that look like a spoked rim. I am guess but they may have been made by the suction cups that were used by an automated machine that holds the front windshield in place while its being "glued" for lack of a better term.

At first these circles could only be seen if the windows got foggy so I knew the issue was on the inside. I wasn't even worried about them. Well....my luck as time has moved on they are more noticeable. I tried cleaning them with Windex, Clorox Wipes, soap and water and nothing is removing them so far. It appears to be some sort of adhesive so all the cleaning has made them less noticeable but now my OCD is kicking in and I want them to go away. It appears to be some sort of adhesive and I am sure over time they would go away with enough elbow grease but was wondering if any one else has encountered these things and if they found a quick way to remove them.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Isopropyl alcohol on a microfiber towel, and a little elbow grease. A higher percentage concentration bottle is a good thing to have around for such occasions.

OP
OP
xeon

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Sounds good... I will give that a shot....thank you

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good... I will give that a shot....thank you
I have that too.......thought I was seeing imaginary things......

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I saw those freaking crop circles (8 of them) on the second day of ownership (Mid January) and pretty much figured out what they were on my own. So i cleaned the shit of the interior windshield. Since then and after multiple cleanings the sun was shining just right yesterday and they were back!!!!! I cleaned them again. They wont die!!!!

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I only see them in certain light and I actually saw them again on my way to work this morning. I haven't tried the Isopropyl Alcohol yet, only a microfiber. I have a bottle at home that I think is 90% or something so I could give that a try.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I think if I lined up 30+ vehicles in the $40-$50K price range only the Jeep would have these rings.

Isn't that sad. I love my Jeep but really, crop rings on the windshield??? Oh where oh where is the quality control??

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I've been successful with rubbing alcohol so far. We'll see what happens the next time the glass fogs.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I have them too! I guess, "It's a Jeep thing." ;)

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine as well. I tried the cleaners with no luck. I'll give the alcohol a try tomorrow.

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
I’ve dealt with these in other vehicles too. Isopropanol (2-propanol) and Mr. Clean magic eraser (moistened with water and wrung out) to scrub works wonders on these. Afterwards, I used the same isopropanol and a good microfiber cloth to get the glass streak free. YMMV.

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
I’ve dealt with these in other vehicles too. Isopropanol (2-propanol) and Mr. Clean magic eraser (moistened with water and wrung out) to scrub works wonders on these. Afterwards, I used the same isopropanol and a good microfiber cloth to get the glass streak free. YMMV.
Will try this tonight...Thank you!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Are they on the inside or outside? I have these too but if I remember right the suction cups on the windshield glass install (per video of factory install) grab the windshield from the outside and place it on the Jeep. So these marks should be on the outside, correct?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If the alcohol doesn't work, try a small amount of mineral spirits on a paper towel and then clean that off with normal glass cleaner. If mineral spirits don't work, go up one level with respect to solvents and try acetone. The further you go though, the closer you get to something that might dissolve / discolor plastics. For example, carb cleaner clouds clear plastic windshields on motorcycles very quickly if you accidentally splash some on it. :( If the acetone doesn't work, I would try carb cleaner on it next, but be sure to spray the carb cleaner on the paper towel well away from the vehicle (just in case) and then use the wetted paper towel to clean the spots in the window.
Sponsored