Are you all using Premium gas ?

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Yeah, a lot of times, a higher octane is more for preventing performance degradation, like that can occur in high thermal situations towing and/or hot temps, vs. outright better performance.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the "87 octane" you're getting may not be "good" 87. I've had a lot of high performance vehicles, many with aftermarket tunes/turbos/etc., and tested/logged quite a bit, and there's a bit of variation in the actual octane vs. the labeled octane (for example, around here, I noted that Sunoco has consistently right on the numbers 93).

So like an 89 might build in a little margin-of-error for the octane.
I thought about trying the 89 As our 91 here is $20 more a full up. Thanks.
Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
(For that sake of simplicity in this post, at least for me, I'm using "regular" and "premium", not octane levels).

My head is spinning...
2.0L says premium, 2.0L hybrid says regular.
No this! No that! Optimal performance if you use premium! On and on and on... :)

2.0L using premium to get best performance makes sense, that's all it has, a 2.0L engine. makes sense to me that the engine needs all it can get.

2.0L Hybrid however is significantly assisted by the electric motors, so regular may be "good enough." Using premium will improve performance (so Jeep says) but do you honestly notice it?

How about a blind test? Have someone else put gas in you Jeep and not tell you what they put in, but have them note the octane (i.e. regular or premium). Then have them put gas in several more times. (Maybe they put regular in every time, maybe premium every time, maybe they mixed it up.) You: Note the performance at the end of each tank full. Then compare notes.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I thought about trying the 89 As our 91 here is $20 more a full up. Thanks.
That's usually what I ran (er, run, it's still here ... ) in our DD/RT (with the 5.7L Hemi), kind of the same thing, low spec of 87, 89 not much more but built in a little additional buffer.

We don't get 91 around here, so the next jump is 93 and it's a pretty hefty difference over a full tank.

Or this at the local Sunoco :D

Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? IMG_6031_1200

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Found a station that carried ethanol free at $3.75 gal :(
That's about what I pay. PA has the highest fuel taxes in the nation, though, so I'm kind of numb anymore. The price is what the price is.

Some years ago, the demon corn liquor forced me to rebuild a carburetor on an 10 month old motorcycle, so E0 is the order of the day now.

Or this at the local Sunoco :D

IMG_6031_1200.jpeg
Nice. For that cost, though, I'd expect a dedicated hose for the 104, and not a blender pump with a single hose for all grades. Can't tell from the photo which config the pump provides.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Nice. For that cost, though, I'd expect a dedicated hose for the 104, and not a blender pump with a single hose for all grades. Can't tell from the photo which config the pump provides.
Good call, it's actually an isolated hose, you can see it to the left in the pic (the hose for the 87/89/93 is to the right, out of frame).

I have a pretty aggressive 93 tune in my Mustang, and after lot of logging, the Sunoco was notable better. I also have an ethanol tune, it's technical a "flex tune" which allows both E and gas, but I wound up just using the dedicated 93 - the ethanol tune was pretty stout though, roughly the same effective octane as that race has for $2.20 / gal (higher consumption rate though, like 10-12MPG),

When I had my Supra I had a couple of 55 gallon drums of VP110 (110 ocate) in my shed (and a hand pump to move it to cans, then the car), I can't recall the price, but it was silly :LOL:

Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Using premium only to get the most out of the turbo. Does it matter? Dunno. Still going to keep putting it in per the manual.
LOVE the turbo by the way - this thing reminds me of an angry little bee when you really get on it!:rock:
Yep!!!! IMHO plenty of power and acceleration.... especially for a short wheelbase 2 door!

I am sure the hemi is a blast.....but seems like overkill for a high cog , short wheelbase vehicle.

But I'd own one for fun if I could. ;)

When I drive the Jeep with the 2T I feel like a grasshopper jumping from here to there.....light and springy....lol

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Personally I’ll use 91 because most of my trips are short trips around town. I’ve owned my 4xe for almost a month and the fuel gauge is still at full even though I tend to lead foot it.

At this rate, I’ll be filling up once every 9 months.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Yep!!!! IMHO plenty of power and acceleration.... especially for a short wheelbase 2 door!

I am sure the hemi is a blast.....but seems like overkill for a high cog , short wheelbase vehicle.

But I'd own one for fun if I could. ;)

When I drive the Jeep with the 2T I feel like a grasshopper jumping from here to there.....light and springy....lol
Exactly, that is a great way to put it!
Sponsored