Are sunshades worth it?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have the alien sun shade...it's worth every penny.

Super easy to install
Definitely delivers good amount of shade = cooler
I can see how some may think it feels closed in...but benefits out weigh this aspect
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I cancelled the order due to being tall and not wanting my head touching the sunshade. I'm saving up for a premium soft top.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
I cancelled the order due to being tall and not wanting my head touching the sunshade. I'm saving up for a premium soft top.
I think that's a good choice. I had/have a RR mesh shade. I loved the protection it offered, as did the wife. However, I am 6'3 and my head was hitting it anytime the vehicle wasn't in motion. Drives me crazy, so I took it off.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Agreed...accept it costs $2k...which isnt so awesome. My wife would shoot me if I walked in the door and told her I was thinking of dropping $2k on a soft top. I probably shouldve gotten a premium soft top and ditched the hardtop. However, I have alot of sweat equity in my Lange hoist and like the security of the hardtop. I can now easily remove the hardtop by myself in less than 10 minutes...not too bad.

Oh I get it, I had to have the soft top, with the sunrider, safari and all the way down. My hard top is on a cart out of the way till december.

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
Late to the party... Yes, worth it! And I have the Premium Soft Top. jtopsusa.com furnished me with a Subdued US Flag (Black on Titanium Mesh). They have options for either the soft or hard top. Stays in place. No flapping at 75+ mph.

HPIM0924.JPG

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Late to the party... Yes, worth it! And I have the Premium Soft Top. jtopsusa.com furnished me with a Subdued US Flag (Black on Titanium Mesh). They have options for either the soft or hard top. Stays in place. No flapping at 75+ mph.

HPIM0924.JPG
How is this setup better/different than just putting your top up with the windows out (aka safari mode)?

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue

HPIM0924.JPG
Can you post what it looks like in the inside with your top up and the JTOP still installed?

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
Can you post what it looks like in the inside with your top up and the JTOP still installed?
Here is looking up for the alien sunshade. Had my daughter take a pic while driving. So only the powelines. Not all all closed in.
And still enoying the open road while not baking. We were going 70 at this point. Notice you can still see the clouds in a photo

5BBED643-AF5B-41B5-95B8-122A15CD0350.jpeg

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Here is looking up for the alien sunshade. Had my daughter take a pic while driving. So only the powelines. Not all all closed in.
And still enoying the open road while not baking. We were going 70 at this point. Notice you can still see the clouds in a photo

5BBED643-AF5B-41B5-95B8-122A15CD0350.jpeg

I wanted to see the American flag from the interior, because I was thinking about getting it but I don't know if it will be to overwhelming.

But I appreciate this photo it does show how it is clear but yet gives cover. I will be getting a JTOP as it looks like super long term it will hold up the best.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I use sunshades all the tie, but I can't stand to be hot and usually ride in a closed cockpit with the a/c on.

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
I wanted to see the American flag from the interior, because I was thinking about getting it but I don't know if it will be to overwhelming.

But I appreciate this photo it does show how it is clear but yet gives cover. I will be getting a JTOP as it looks like super long term it will hold up the best.
IMHO... Not overwhelming. Sunny day here in Philadelphia makes it appear lighter in the pictures than in person. This is one of the reasons I went with the subdued look.

HPIM0927.JPG

HPIM0929.JPG

HPIM0930.JPG

ILikeTacos

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My favorite mod to date. Also you supposed tall guys in this thread need to realize you are NOT PROPORTIONAL. Grow longer legs and shave down the torso weirdos... I am 6'3" and have never hit my head on anything in my JL... SpiderWebShade ftw, leave it on when the hard top goes on and off.

As for OP, I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old. It was the reason I got the sunshade to be honest. I didn't want my little ones getting burned while they were enjoying running around town with the top off. :)

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/jeep-products/jeep-type/jl-4-door/jl4d/

lKLGt64.jpg

lmQHyEV.jpg

EDIT: I just realized the reason I don't hit my head is because the spiderweb shade attaches in the front under the windshield so it keeps the front part of the shade held up and taught out of the way as opposed to the JTop shown above. Don't be scared of folding the windshield down for install, might have been the easiest part of the install to be honest...