Sponsored

Are sunshades worth it?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Looking for advice from folks with a hardtop and sunshade. I ordered a black jtops sunshade this morning and am having buyers remorse. I' pushing 6'4" tall and have a hardtop jlus and take the kids(4&6 yr old) to run errands on wknds with top off and doors on. We live in TN and they love the open air and being able to look out the open top, but their car seats get hot when parked in the sun. Does a sunshade make it feel more closed off and less like a Jeep? For $230, it needs to be a meaningful improvement to justify. Do you miss the open feel of not having a top when using a sunshade? Also, I take the top off with my lange lift on non work days and this is a daily driver...it wouldnt work to go topless at work in my occupation. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I put a spidershade on the front seats of mine and literally never use it. I have it folded back over the rear seats. I may take it off.

It does provide better shade when parked for sure but I do not like it all while driving. Plus my head is hitting the shade when I drive and I'm only 5'10'' and the seat is on the lowest setting.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
To me a sunshde doesnt make it feel closed off at all. I got the Alien. Absolutely worth having than not. Does keep things a bit cooler when parked in the sun, like armrest and steering wheel, if not covered. Also it wasnt just about the sun, but anything falling into the Jeep....bird poo mainly! It’ll at least offer some protection against that, whether driving or sitting out with no top.
I think it’s worth it. Dont have remorse.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Plus my head is hitting the shade when I drive and I'm only 5'10'' and the seat is on the lowest setting.
Ya, also this. I forgot about that.
However, Im about 5’-11 and only seems to hit my hair just sometimes it seems. Also there is a little flapping at times but not much. Doesnt bother me personally but something to consider I suppose.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
It does help with the sun. Keeps the heat down a little. 230 is high for what it is. I'd look at mojo or alien. Jtops has been know to be slow getting it to you.

Sponsored

NGAJLRUBI

First Name
ADAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Sales Manager Hayes Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, i bought the rugged ridge for like $50 dollars and really like it!

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Yes, i bought the rugged ridge for like $50 dollars and really like it!
Sorry to the OP..
Does the RR shde fit ok? Can the hard top go over it with no problems? I was going to get that one but saw that there may have been a design issue with the hard top being added over it. I wouldve gladly paid like 60 bucks over 160 for the Alien. Is the mesh pretty good too? I had a Smittybilt mesh on my previous JK, and it faded after awhile and the mesh didnt seem as “strong” compared to the Spiderweb Shade I ended up putting on it. Ultimately the Alien shade gave me piece of mind.

Again, sorry for the thread jack..

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I got the jtop last week and it is awesome. Have a red 4dr rubi, got the black shade. I also have two young kids, and live in SoCal so want the hard top off as much as possible. It works great, fits great, and is very well made. I have not put the hard top back on since I put it on, and drive it every day to work on the freeway. It is noticeably quieter with it on, and keeps the interior much cooler in the sun. Also, way less wind in the cabin at highway speeds. With the black leather it makes a huge difference when parked in the sun. And keeps bird crap and leaves out.
I also had my windows tinted a few weeks back and they used the heat resistant film. So when doors are on with the jtop, it really keeps the interior from baking.
Lastly, I am 6’2”. I have a ton of clearance from the jtop, even wearing ball caps. Not sure why I hear so many issues with head space, my seat is at the lowest setting but I never have any issue with either the hard top or the jtop. Maybe I just have terrible posture.

NGAJLRUBI

First Name
ADAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Sales Manager Hayes Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to the OP..
Does the RR shde fit ok? Can the hard top go over it with no problems? I was going to get that one but saw that there may have been a design issue with the hard top being added over it. I wouldve gladly paid like 60 bucks over 160 for the Alien. Is the mesh pretty good too? I had a Smittybilt mesh on my previous JK, and it faded after awhile and the mesh didnt seem as “strong” compared to the Spiderweb Shade I ended up putting on it. Ultimately the Alien shade gave me piece of mind.

Again, sorry for the thread jack..
No problems so far. I bought the one for the freedom hardtop, and the full soft top so far so good!

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I put a spidershade on the front seats of mine and literally never use it. I have it folded back over the rear seats. I may take it off.

It does provide better shade when parked for sure but I do not like it all while driving. Plus my head is hitting the shade when I drive and I'm only 5'10'' and the seat is on the lowest setting.
A lower ceiling with a sunshade wouldnt be good...I'm pushing 6'4" tall and had some foam removed from my seat to drop it about 1.5". Is it that much lower than the hardtop?

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Th

ksnkanha
A lower ceiling with a sunshade wouldnt be good...I'm pushing 6'4" tall and had some foam removed from my seat to drop it about 1.5". Is it that much lower than the hardtop?
Yea a few inches.

Angelarm35

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S Unlimited - Billet Silver
I bought the Alien sunshade. I thought I liked it at first....but then, really felt like I lost that open air feeling. I don't mind the sun, and if the brightness really bothers me, I will just wear a hat. My husband's head hit it and he is only 5'11". I am much shorter - at 5' even, so it didn't bother me that way. I took it off last night after it only being on for a week. It didn't feel like the top was off to me anymore. I'm going to keep it just in case, but right now, like it better with the sunshade off.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I got the jtop last week and it is awesome. Have a red 4dr rubi, got the black shade. I also have two young kids, and live in SoCal so want the hard top off as much as possible. It works great, fits great, and is very well made. I have not put the hard top back on since I put it on, and drive it every day to work on the freeway. It is noticeably quieter with it on, and keeps the interior much cooler in the sun. Also, way less wind in the cabin at highway speeds. With the black leather it makes a huge difference when parked in the sun. And keeps bird crap and leaves out.
I also had my windows tinted a few weeks back and they used the heat resistant film. So when doors are on with the jtop, it really keeps the interior from baking.
Lastly, I am 6’2”. I have a ton of clearance from the jtop, even wearing ball caps. Not sure why I hear so many issues with head space, my seat is at the lowest setting but I never have any issue with either the hard top or the jtop. Maybe I just have terrible posture.
Thanks for the feedback...unfortunately, I go topless on the wknds and have the hardtop back on during the week. I'm leaning towards cancelling the jtops sunshade order and saving up for an aftermarket soft top that can I can easily raise/lower when I park in the sun.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Thanks for the feedback...unfortunately, I go topless on the wknds and have the hardtop back on during the week. I'm leaning towards cancelling the jtops sunshade order and saving up for an aftermarket soft top that can I can easily raise/lower when I park in the sun.

Look into the premium soft top. Its awesome.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Look into the premium soft top. Its awesome.
Agreed...accept it costs $2k...which isnt so awesome. My wife would shoot me if I walked in the door and told her I was thinking of dropping $2k on a soft top. I probably shouldve gotten a premium soft top and ditched the hardtop. However, I have alot of sweat equity in my Lange hoist and like the security of the hardtop. I can now easily remove the hardtop by myself in less than 10 minutes...not too bad.
Sponsored