First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hey all! Still learning all about this so go easy on me. ;)

Planning on purchasing a 2018 Rubicon JL which, correct me if I’m wrong, has an electronic locker system. I’m assuming this system is good for more basic to intermediate Midwest trail riding (as opposed to technical Moab stuff) and I really wouldn’t need the ARB system. What do you all suggest?

Also, Just curious if you Rubicon owners who do rock crawling are installing an ARB locking system (or similar) or are still using the OEM e-locker?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Planning on purchasing a 2018 Rubicon JL which, correct me if I’m wrong, has an electronic locker system. I’m assuming this system is good for more basic to intermediate Midwest trail riding (as opposed to technical Moab stuff) and I really wouldn’t need the ARB system. What do you all suggest?

Also, Just curious if you Rubicon owners who do rock crawling are installing an ARB locking system (or similar) or are still using the OEM e-locker?

Thanks in advance!
The Rubicon's locker is a full blown true locker good for Moab and anywhere else. It is electrically activated versus air actuated. That's really the only functional difference. The ARB would do nothing for you that the Rubi locker can do, but would require the plumbing for air lines and a compressor. Their compressors are nice for other reasons, too, but the whole setup is expensive and unecessary.

If you bought a Sport or Sahara, the ARB would be one of several great ways to achieve lockers. It would probably be my choice. The advantage of both the ARB and Rubi e-lockers is that they have no vices on the road and fully lock on the trail, if you need them.

I've abused the e-lockers in my JK for 13 years and in my JL for 3, everywhere from Moab to Colorado, to Michigan, Tennessee, Missouri, NC, KY, VA and WV. They are tough enough for everything I've thrown at them.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer

Thanks in advance!
Assuming you mean normal 4wd/jeep trails/forest trails; you can do over 90% the main trails in the US without any lockers at all. The stock e lockers are fine.

the 40-42” tire’d, “take the hardest way possible every single time”, find my own “trail”, trailered rock basher folks obviously have different requirements I cant speak to.

after Driving off road trucks around 4 continents, my advice is always the same: take an off road driving school as your first “mod”. Youll be amazed at what you can do and where you can go in a stock jeep or one with minimal work. Obviously, if you just want a built jeep then by all means do so, but most jeeps are “overbuilt” for what is “needed”. driving and recovery courses are a great way to learn a lot and get a lot out of your truck with not alot into it.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Great! Thanks guys! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Great! Thanks guys! Exactly what I was hoping to hear.
you can do the alpine passes in co, and black bear pass and most of utah in a stock jeep. big jeeps are cool but dont let not having one be the reason you dont get out and have fun.
Sponsored