Sponsored

Anyone Regret Modding To Soon?!?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Do it while you have the fever. Once the jeep luster wears off a little bit, you wont wanna do it.

Do it while its hot!
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I totally should have added the wrap to my early must do mods, that looks amazing and I like the idea that no one has the same color as me, or least has to put some effort in to match. ;)
Thank you! Yes, I definitely am happy with it and wanted it for ages (Iā€™ve got a whole Pinterest board for inspiration), I had a ā€˜17 JKUR that I had to leave stock and when the opportunity to start over came along, I was focused on the wrap. :) Iā€™m very comfortable being unique. And itā€™s easy to find in parking lots to boot! :)

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I added 35s within a few thousand miles and then did the bumper\winch combo. I also added a CB because that's pretty much mandatory for me. I knew I would want those before I started wheeling so I just got them done.

I was going to wait on armor, but after a few belly scrapes last weekend I might be re-evaluating that idea. I do know I will be getting a lift next year and that will help slow down the rate of scraping, but armor is much cheaper than a lift. I'll just have to see what I can afford.

Plus I have to remember that wheeling season is only here for 2 more months. It might make more sense to just wait on everything and save my pennies because next season will cost me $$mucho-bux$$.
What CB mount did you use?

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Owning my first jeep as well, also a Sahara. It's been a vehicle I've wanted for a long time. Did tons of research. Factory ordered the jeep. I've had it for two weeks now. It's already at a shop getting lifted with wheels and tires and bumpers. I felt very comfortable with the decisions I made based on the research I did and with my expectations for how I plan to use the jeep. I may be adding the mods a bit too soon in some people's eyes, I get that, but I am confident with that choice. I can't wait to see how it looks and how it performs though.
I agree with you on the mods. We all buy vehicles for different reasons but it has to be a good looking ride for me to own it. My opinion is: Jeeps are ugly unless you at least change the wheels and tires. I have had 10 Jeeps and my new Black Rubicon is a nice ride but was it ugly before I started the mods. The new Gladiators stock are BUTT ugly also. "JUST SAYING"

Rockit73

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sprt S, 02 Night Train, 2016 F6B
I mod my stuff for function - guns, guitars, motorcycles... and now my first Jeep.
I only mod if I have the need. Usually, modding takes something thatā€™s just ok and turns it into mine that works perfect for me.
Why wait on that?!

First wave of items on the way after two weeks and 500 miles: grab handles, sill guards, and sliders/steps.
Looking at wheels, def need a solution to single person hardtop removal, door storage, dog hair control, license plate frames (dealership provides pink)...and Iā€™m considering decals, which is something I normally wouldnā€™t do.
My buddy, and longtime Jeep owner, says I must add a big lift with wheels and tires.
I may do the Mopar lift, if at all. I donā€™t forsee myself needing more clearance than what I already have.
But those stock wheels...:no:

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Yes, I definitely am happy with it and wanted it for ages (Iā€™ve got a whole Pinterest board for inspiration), I had a ā€˜17 JKUR that I had to leave stock and when the opportunity to start over came along, I was focused on the wrap. :) Iā€™m very comfortable being unique. And itā€™s easy to find in parking lots to boot! :)
I am thinking of a wrap just to help minimize the AZ pinstriping that seems to be inevitable here. who did your wrap, and how happy are you with it? was it fairly reasonable priced?

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was just telling a guy how I sort of regretted getting the Rubicon because there weren't any mods to do...

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I agree with you on the mods. We all buy vehicles for different reasons but it has to be a good looking ride for me to own it. My opinion is: Jeeps are ugly unless you at least change the wheels and tires. I have had 10 Jeeps and my new Black Rubicon is a nice ride but was it ugly before I started the mods. The new Gladiators stock are BUTT ugly also. "JUST SAYING"
I hear ya. I just got it back from the shop today and I gotta say, it's looking good!

20190805_174459.jpg

Sponsored

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I DO NOT regret modding too soon. I bought $4K of mods before the Jeeps even came in - LOL. I regret not being born into a rich family. :LOL:
I've seen your thread in the build journal section. I've enjoyed following what you two have been doing with your jeeps. Very cool stuff!

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen your thread in the build journal section. I've enjoyed following what you two have been doing with your jeeps. Very cool stuff!
Thanks Dave! Appreciate it broski! :fist bump:

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Unless you are into the aesthetics thing.....do the mods as you find a purpose for them. It's much more rewarding to identify a problem and work through it than just blowing a wad of cash and finding out that you just made your rig un-driveable for the wife (at least in her perception...ask me how I know).

I tend to go slow on the mods and read about other peoples experiences first....living vicariously through their triumphs and mistakes. :)

Doc
This is exactly my mindset. I have a 2019 JLUR. I've taken it on several trails rated a 1 up to a 7. I started off on easy trails and soon realized my stock JLUR was keeping up with a JKUR with a 3.5 inch lift and 35in Nittos. I was happy with it. Since then, I've actually added more skid plates than anything because I'd rather protect what I have. (Yes I realize if I had lifted and put larger tires on I probably wouldn't need the extra skid plates) I also recently spent a week in Colorado at the All4Fun event and followed a 2008 JKUR on 1 ton axles and 40s up Wheeler lake. That's where I broke my rear bumper, so I now have a custom steel rear bumper on order with ACE Engineering. I also saw a need for new sliders because I almost put a rock through my door when my jeep slide down a rock. If I had wider sliders, I wouldn't have puckered so much. This also makes me wheel where I'm comfortable. If I were to upgrade everything at once, I'd be more inclined to put myself in a situation where I'd either damage the Jeep or possibly hurt someone. Slowly modding my jeep allows me to see the progression in its capabilities keeping me in check.

OP
OP
MrSahara19

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Amen to that I mean I don't think the jeep is ugly hence why I own one first time now, however I cringe everytime I now walk out to my car and see the stock sahara wheels and tires considering im making all the smaller mods now ā€¦ if I didn't own a house and have kids etc. I would have already bought the wheels, but they are expensive but I got my eye on the grapplers and fuel beasts and think im going 20s with 35s and 2.5" lift (one day anyway) ā€¦.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Iā€™m going slowly. Been driving 4wd pickups off-road all my life, but never considered the driving a sport. It was just the means to get to hunting, fishing, camping.

First Jeep. Sport, with towing, LSD, Turbo, 8-speed.

Iā€™m hooked.

Learning more nearly every day, both here and on the trail. Iā€™m fortunate to get off road nearly every day.

So far, Iā€™ve upgraded tires, added wheel spacers, Rubi takeoff rock rails, Trailgater table, 12v fridge...I think thatā€™s all.

Installing Rubi takeoff suspension and JKS QD swaybars this weekend, and then testing myself and the Jeep on the Colorado high country trails for a week or three.

Itā€™ll be the functional equivalent of a stock Rubicon, except for lockers then, I reckon. Or close.

If I decide I need lockers, Iā€™ll likely just trade in for a Rubi.

Too much fun!
Sponsored