Any small lockable storage options yet?

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
* A lockable steel center console insert . No, not the Tuffy JL console product... Tuffy really dropped the ball by making the JL version with a steel lid only on top of the existing plastic (!) center console compartment. :puke:
Agree!
Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
https://www.amazon.com/Vaultek-Blue...7599420&sr=8-1&keywords=vaultek+slider+series

Hubby got this gun safe installed under the passenger seat and is accessible from the drivers side. He had to fabricate a bracket to attach to the seat bolts, be we got it in with no drilling or obstruction with normal use. And, we can use our CCW and keep protection within reach without risking it getting in the wrong hands!

We couldn't find any concealed lock boxes specific for this application.
Pictures please!

First Name
Rah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rahevolution.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JLU Sahara 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Sorry about the quality but hope it gives you an idea...
Can you still reach the keypad/unlock buttons on the side of the box? Looks too tight to reach in the pics, but maybe it's just the angle?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
@RahJeepsTopless

Nice setup man. Was it too big to put under the driver's seat?

Sponsored

First Name
Rah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rahevolution.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JLU Sahara 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Can you still reach the keypad/unlock buttons on the side of the box? Looks too tight to reach in the pics, but maybe it's just the angle?
Yes, takes a reach behind the passenger seat to access the buttons. There is room but it is tight. Biometrics or remote switch might be a nice option.

@RahJeepsTopless

Nice setup man. Was it too big to put under the driver's seat?
No, wouldn't fit under drivers seat and can reach behind the passenger seat while sitting in drivers seat to access it this way.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
https://www.amazon.com/Vaultek-Blue...7599420&sr=8-1&keywords=vaultek+slider+series

Hubby got this gun safe installed under the passenger seat and is accessible from the drivers side. He had to fabricate a bracket to attach to the seat bolts, be we got it in with no drilling or obstruction with normal use. And, we can use our CCW and keep protection within reach without risking it getting in the wrong hands!

We couldn't find any concealed lock boxes specific for this application.
I have a different style Vaultek box at home. Pricy, but very solid and the fingerprint lock works really well. I can’t really visualize this being readily accessible to the driver if it’s mounted under the passenger seat.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Hi. What is the nature of the shortcoming with the Tuffy console solution? I ask because I have it and I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything and that it is actually adequate for my particular needs. Thanks!

OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Hi. What is the nature of the shortcoming with the Tuffy console solution? I ask because I have it and I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything and that it is actually adequate for my particular needs. Thanks!
My issue with it is that instead of it being a lockbox that is, in fact, a metal box with a metal locking lid as was the case with previous Tuffy console lockboxes, the Tuffy JL "lockbox" is only a steel locking *lid* being added to the existing plastic console container.

To me, a thin plastic box with a locking metal lid is only marginally more secure than a thin plastic box with a plastic lid. Your wants and needs may be different.

Is the Tuffy JL metal lid better than stock? Yes. But not good enough for me, especially not for the $150 price. It is much cheaper than previous Wrangler console solutions, and gives the appearance of security -- I guess Tuffy is thinking that for most JL owners, that will be 'good enough'.

Last edited:

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
My issue with it is that instead of it being a lockbox that is, in fact, a metal box with a metal locking lid as was the case with previous Tuffy console lockboxes, the Tuffy JL "lockbox" is only a steel locking *lid* being added to the existing plastic console container.

To me, a thin plastic box with a locking metal lid is only marginally more secure than a thin plastic box with a plastic lid. Your wants and needs may be different.

Is the Tuffy JL metal lid better than stock? Yes. But not good enough for me, especially not for the $150 price. It is much cheaper than previous Wrangler console solutions, and gives the appearance of security -- I guess Tuffy is thinking that for most JL owners, that will be 'good enough'.
Ah ok that makes sense. I didn’t realize the JK one was a full box. That is a big change and definitely less secure. Although given the design of the center console area, I do get why they took the approach they did. A full box would likely require replacing a fair bit of the center console completely. Maybe somebody will come up with a solution for that at some point.

Thank you for the explanation though. I don’t have anything in there that needs absolute protection, such as a firearm, so I think I will personally be ok. Hope you find a good option soon!

Sponsored

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl

I didn’tbrealize This when I bought it. Once it arrived, I asked myself, wtf?, who,would design such a piece of trash. So, it sits on my work bench unused. I wish I didn;t destroy the package or I could return it.

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
Yes, takes a reach behind the passenger seat to access the buttons. There is room but it is tight. Biometrics or remote switch might be a nice option.

No, wouldn't fit under drivers seat and can reach behind the passenger seat while sitting in drivers seat to access it this way.
What's blocking under the driver's seat?

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I bought the Lock'er Down box and have been very impressed with it. It's more $ than I wanted to spend, but I never have to worry about anything getting nabbed out of the console.

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
What's blocking under the driver's seat?
Sponsored