First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I recall reading somewhere that there were some issues with some 2018 and not having a USB port that was capable of running at proper speeds. Maybe that is what is going on with mine. I have it working fine about 2/3rds of the time, but it never fails that when I really need it, it fails.
Actually, now that you mention it, that is one thing about my Jeep that is actually a little broken. The USB port inside the center console will work with AA but randomly drop out. I have since only used the one in the dash since week 1. I have a 19 tho.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I use the center console port for charging and AA. Seldom have an issue,but now and again, it does not autostart, but a simple unplug of the USB from the phone and re-plug solves it. And I use a magnetic cable so it is easy and takes little effort and no visual distraction.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was having numerous issues using the console USB...( Randomly dropping out etc..)
Started using the port on the dash ( using the usb-c port , bought a cable from Verizon usb-c to usb-c ( faster speeds)...
Have absolutely no issues at all, never had a dis-connect yet.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
I use the center console port for charging and AA. Seldom have an issue,but now and again, it does not autostart, but a simple unplug of the USB from the phone and re-plug solves it. And I use a magnetic cable so it is easy and takes little effort and no visual distraction.
Can you enlighten me as to what exactly is a magnetic cable, Im curious

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Last edited:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
thanks, Im one of those dildos that dont use a phone case so that would be a problem in my case.
And you have to watch that it's not just a charging cable as many magnetic cables are, and that it IS a data cable. Otherwise, the head until won't see the device.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Timmh is right the first one I got was charging only and no AA but ordered correct one off Amazon and works great USB C Note 9

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
These magnetic adapters support power and data. Just attach one end to a USB-C cable of your choice and the other end to your phone.
https://www.amazon.com/Knaive-Compa...rter/dp/B07MCS2WWC?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

They work for AA and charging (center console ports) in the Jeeps. But the magnetic closure comes undone pretty easily if the phone jostles around when the car is moving. To be honest, I only tried it for a quick 10min car ride and didn't spend much time experimenting. The stiff braided USB-C cable from the center console probably didn't help... I suppose you can rig the key fob holder slot up so that dropping in the phone would align the mag connectors. Or fashion a "carrier" to keep the cable stable with the phone... I'm thinking a 3D printed carrier.

For the time being they work better with my 13" MacBook. I like the idea of the magnetic connection to save wear and tear on the USB port of the phone. So I will probably revisit at some point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Actually, now that you mention it, that is one thing about my Jeep that is actually a little broken. The USB port inside the center console will work with AA but randomly drop out. I have since only used the one in the dash since week 1. I have a 19 tho.
Same here. Consistently will not stay connected via USB. Mine is also a 2019.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Just for the sake of clarity, do you mean like mine where its just the USB in the console or do you mean its both?
I have the "media" port in the dash. I've only used the one inside the arm rest for charging.
When I plug the phone into the media port, sometimes AA will start and I can see the icon appear on the screen. But will soon loose connectivity and the icon disappears. Then I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in -- then it's 50/50 on if AA will start again. I've pretty much stopped fiddling with it until I get a new phone. My theory is that my Galaxy S8+ is so ancient that it might just not be compatible.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I have the "media" port in the dash. I've only used the one inside the arm rest for charging.
When I plug the phone into the media port, sometimes AA will start and I can see the icon appear on the screen. But will soon loose connectivity and the icon disappears. Then I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in -- then it's 50/50 on if AA will start again. I've pretty much stopped fiddling with it until I get a new phone. My theory is that my Galaxy S8+ is so ancient that it might just not be compatible.
That is really interesting to me. The "media port" works absolutely fine for my S9 (work phone), Note 10 (old phone), and S20. Granted, these are all brand new phones and it is possible that an older phone my have a problem, but I kind of doubt it. My only suggestion is to use the cord that came with your phone or a trusted brand like Anker. I really don't trust any other cords.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
That is really interesting to me. The "media port" works absolutely fine for my S9 (work phone), Note 10 (old phone), and S20. Granted, these are all brand new phones and it is possible that an older phone my have a problem, but I kind of doubt it. My only suggestion is to use the cord that came with your phone or a trusted brand like Anker. I really don't trust any other cords.
Yea the cord that came with the phone fell victim to Mr. Puppy.
And I've been having trouble finding cords that will even charge the phone -- so I charge wireless.
Sponsored