Sponsored

Android Auto poll

Does Android Auto work every time you start your Jeep?

• Total voters

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After trying numerous cables, including an Anker cable that is "certified" to work by Google specifically for Android Auto, I'm posting this poll to see if there is sufficient flakiness here that @JeepCares should be aware of.

For me, it's about 50/50 working/not working. It's super frustrating, and at this point I'm thinking it's a problem with the UConnect system.
Sponsored

broncoman2000

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup 4x4
I hate to hear that. I absolutely love the android auto. It's almost everything I had always wished a radio could do. I've had troubles only 3-5 times in the 3 months I've owned the Jeep. Only complaint is how SLOWWWWWWW my phone runs when connected. Currently using an S7. Trying to hold out until the SX comes out. (Of course it'll be an SX. We had iPhone X, OS X, and we know Koreans have 0 creativity)

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
When I first got my JL I had issues with it not recognizing the phone was plugged in for Android Auto. I ordered a specific cable from Amazon, that seemed to work sporadically as well. Then one day I noticed that even though USB C supposedly doesn't matter which way it's plugged in, it actually did. If I plug my universal USB C cable in and the phone didn't work, all I had to do was flip the cable so that the other side was facing up and it worked. No issues since that little discovery. The only problem I do have with it now is that if I am using Android Auto and streaming from say, google play music. If I pause whatever I'm playing for more than say a minute or so, The app seems to hang on the car side. I have to go back to radio, then hit android auto, THEN it says it can't play the previous track I was listening to, but if I just go through and manually select whatever I was playing before, it resumes where I was when it hung. It does this with my Note 8, Galaxy S9 or HTC U11...

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I have a Galaxy S8, and the USB-C connector is not 100% secure. I usually have to get the USB connector to hold at a certain angle on the phone, so I plug it into the phone first, lay it in the upper dasboard tray, then plug it into the USB slot below the HVAC controls. If the cable gets jostled while connected, the U-Connect system will disconnect, and doesn't seem to resend the handshake to the phone until the vehicle has been shut of for a few minutes.

Otherwise, while it's working, I've never experienced any problems with slowness until the signal from Sprint starts getting sketchy... :swear:

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
I would prefer Android Auto over Apple CarPlay, but when I use my S7 Edge, the Uconnect will sometimes just blackout Waze or Google Maps in the middle of navigating (which really isn't helpful when I'm driving). CarPlay, on the other hand, has never bugged out on me once. I also like that Android Auto uses the full screen of the display vs. the CarPlay version that has sizable borders around the navi map. But, at the end of the day, I would much rather use a navigation system that doesn't blank in the middle of driving.

I've tried changing cables and also using the dash USB plug rather than the USB plug in the armrest, but same result with Android Auto. I've even tried two different Android phones and still didn't help. I'm thinking it's Uconnect that just doesn't work well with Android Auto.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonMSN

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When I first got my JL I had issues with it not recognizing the phone was plugged in for Android Auto. I ordered a specific cable from Amazon, that seemed to work sporadically as well. Then one day I noticed that even though USB C supposedly doesn't matter which way it's plugged in, it actually did. If I plug my universal USB C cable in and the phone didn't work, all I had to do was flip the cable so that the other side was facing up and it worked. No issues since that little discovery. The only problem I do have with it now is that if I am using Android Auto and streaming from say, google play music. If I pause whatever I'm playing for more than say a minute or so, The app seems to hang on the car side. I have to go back to radio, then hit android auto, THEN it says it can't play the previous track I was listening to, but if I just go through and manually select whatever I was playing before, it resumes where I was when it hung. It does this with my Note 8, Galaxy S9 or HTC U11...
Even though that shouldn't make a difference, I just tried it to no avail :-( I'm wondering if either my phone (LG V30+) is the issue or the port in my head unit. It's way too flaky and seems not everyone is having this issue.

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
I would prefer Android Auto over Apple CarPlay, but when I use my S7 Edge, the Uconnect will sometimes just blackout Waze or Google Maps in the middle of navigating (which really isn't helpful when I'm driving). CarPlay, on the other hand, has never bugged out on me once. I also like that Android Auto uses the full screen of the display vs. the CarPlay version that has sizable borders around the navi map. But, at the end of the day, I would much rather use a navigation system that doesn't blank in the middle of driving.

I've tried changing cables and also using the dash USB plug rather than the USB plug in the armrest, but same result with Android Auto. I've even tried two different Android phones and still didn't help. I'm thinking it's Uconnect that just doesn't work well with Android Auto.
So if you have the 7” uconnect android auto is the entire screen? Lucky. CarPlay really minimizes the useful display. I mean who cares what the climate control temp is set at that is preserved on each side of the display vs giving the screen realestate to CarPlay.

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mines buggy but works every-time. For instance I get about message saying there was a problem connecting the phone although andrioid auto does engage and play. I get little weirdness like if I skip too many times on pandora the sound just stops. In my old vehicle I could pause and unpause and fix it, but not here, I have to change playlists. Little things like this, but it works everytime I connect it.
Sponsored