And then the lights went out

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yesterday evening I pulled into a parking lot, put it in park and pulled the break up, left the engine running and got out. When I got back in and closed the door all the dash lights/ screens went black. The speedometer and tachometer were the only things that remained lit. Radio screen restarted when I turned it on and everything there seemed to work, but the dash center and sides remained dark.
Turn signals andheadlights/ taillights remained on. So I drove home. When I got home I tried restarting and the screens remained dark. I cursed a string and went inside.
15 minutes later I went back and started and everything was fine. This morning no problem either.
did I find a death combination/ sequence when that happened?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Open the hood, pop the fuse box cover and check that all fuses and relays are fully seated.

If all is good with the fuses and relays, there's a good chance you have a battery going bad. Have the main and auxiliary batteries checked.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Did the key fob leave the vehicle and how long was it gone?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Yesterday evening I pulled into a parking lot, put it in park and pulled the break up, left the engine running and got out. When I got back in and closed the door all the dash lights/ screens went black. The speedometer and tachometer were the only things that remained lit. Radio screen restarted when I turned it on and everything there seemed to work, but the dash center and sides remained dark.
Turn signals and headlights/tail lights remained on. So I drove home. When I got home I tried restarting and the screens remained dark. I cursed a string and went inside.
15 minutes later I went back and started and everything was fine. This morning no problem either.
did I find a death combination/ sequence when that happened?
Events like this are common since everything is controlled by microprocessors via the data bus or UART communication line. Sometimes the communication between the modules gets out of sync or there may be noise (static) on the line. Usually the module(s) will reset when power is removed.

OP
OP
WagzDad

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did the key fob leave the vehicle and how long was it gone?
When the lights went off the FOB was in the front cup/ fob holder. I took it inside when I got home.

OP
OP
WagzDad

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Events like this are common since everything is controlled by microprocessors via the data bus or UART communication line. Sometimes the communication between the modules gets out of sync or there may be noise (static) on the line. Usually the module(s) will reset when power is removed.
Your response got me thinking. I was about 25 feet from a MRI unit when it happened. I am not sure if it was in use at the time, but those are notorious for creating RF noise and fields.
Sponsored