Ambient External Air Temperature Reading Very High

jazzBox

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I took JL which is less than two months old to the dealer today to see if they knew why Apple CarPlay wasn't working as expected.

They said that they hadn't heard of any issues like this but they reset/upgraded the instrument cluster to see if that would fix the problem.

It didn't but it seemed to cause another problem:

My external temperature was reading 130+ degrees Fahrenheit while in reality it was closer to 77 degrees.

Any similar issues?

thanks
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your sensor is fried or clearly needs some type of adjustment now.

Let them know it happened after they did whatever they did and they should fix it.

Sucks having to go back to the dealership again but you need to.

If you’re not having luck at that dealership, if there is another one not too far, give them a shot. You don’t have to take it where you purchased it.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I took JL which is less than two months old to the dealer today to see if they knew why Apple CarPlay wasn't working as expected.

They said that they hadn't heard of any issues like this but they reset/upgraded the instrument cluster to see if that would fix the problem.

My external temperature was reading 130+ degrees Fahrenheit while in reality it was closer to 77 degrees.

Any similar issues?

thanks
You have some serious issues (judging by this and your other recent posts). Hopefully it's just software related.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Any similar issues?

thanks
My JK has always been about 7-8 degrees hotter than the actual temperature since it was new. I just assumed the sensor was picking up the heat that the car generates. Accuracy would be nice but if I want precise my phone is always right next to me.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've had this issue myself, too, but what'll happen is at that next start, the temperature will eventually fall.

What I think happens is the heat coming from the Jeep itself will up the temp gauge because the computer is still active for a while after you leave the vehicle. When the computer turns off, it'll lock that high temp into the computer and present it to you upon the next start. It's much worse in a garage than outside. I could be wrong, this is just a theory, and it doesn't do it all the time, either.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I've had this issue myself, too, but what'll happen is at that next start, the temperature will eventually fall.

What I think happens is the heat coming from the Jeep itself will up the temp gauge because the computer is still active for a while after you leave the vehicle. When the computer turns off, it'll lock that high temp into the computer and present it to you upon the next start. It's much worse in a garage than outside. I could be wrong, this is just a theory, and it doesn't do it all the time, either.
I have this issue as well, the reading goes down after you drive it for a bit so I think you are right.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)

Any similar issues?

thanks
Can’t help you with the temperature reading, but did you get CarPlay sorted out? If not, a couple things to consider:
1. It only works when your phone is physically plugged into a USB port. Too much data to transmit over Bluetooth.
2. Often aftermarket cords aren’t as effective. Try using an original Apple power cord.
Sponsored