Alpine loop trails in October?

HoosierUte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Intellectual Property
So it looks like I may be in Colorado in mid-October. Are any of the alpine loop trails closed or impassible by October? Is it doable? What are the must-see runs over 2 or three days?
Sponsored

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S
most close Labor Day weekend. the rest close end of Sept.. You wouldn't want to in Oct. ROI would not justify the risk.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
We got a few inches of snow in Denver yesterday. All those trails will be closed soon if they are not already.

BLAM

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Oh, and I should note that I had friends up in Telluride/Silverton last week...they left a bit early b/c of predictions of a blizzard with a couple of feet accumulation. Don't know if that materialized, but this is awfully early in the year to predict that it won't be a wet/heavy snowfall year.
That’s because we had a very early snow storm blanket most the state, it went from 95 mid afternoon to snowing and 31 degrees in Denver(in the same day), in a couple days we’ll be back to higher 80’s though. Such weird weather!

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We got a few inches of snow in Denver yesterday. All those trails will be closed soon if they are not already.
Not necessarily...the warmer temps are returning after today and it's entirely possible you can run the San Juans in October

I've lived basically at the base of SJM's my entire life (literally) and I chuckle when anyone says they can predict CO winters. I've seen 60's thru mid December and everyone is running around screaming Chicken Little and then on Dec 12 snow comes and dumps 3-8" everyday for 10 days...pause for 2 days and then rinse & repeat over and over....and by spring it's a heavy winter for the record books (2008 comes to mind)

.....or several good storms thru Dec and then in Jan it just dries up and by April has been declared a "drought winter." Farmers Almanac is hilarious as are all other methods of prophecy.

Don't like the weather...wait 5 min.

However at least we have a hint of continuity....the Front Range is whole different clusterfawk with blizzards that dump 18" one day and temps in the '70s the next......

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So it looks like I may be in Colorado in mid-October. Are any of the alpine loop trails closed or impassible by October? Is it doable? What are the must-see runs over 2 or three days?
A couple of my kids and I might be out that way, too. Haven't decided yet. I'd be leaving the evening of the 16th or morning of the 17th of October. Thinking Moab, Colorado, Maine, or a couple other possibilities.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I’m watching the conditions closely as I am heading that way Sunday and hope to hit the passes Tuesday to Friday. I see it’s supposed to warm up after Saturday so we shall see. Can’t cancel the trip now.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I haven’t been yet, but my three days have the following planned:
Ophir and Imogene. Black bear and last dollar. Mineral creek to engineer pass and back via cinnamon. Hope to also have time for stony pass and Yankee boy and governor basins. fingers crossed.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I’m watching the conditions closely as I am heading that way Sunday and hope to hit the passes Tuesday to Friday. I see it’s supposed to warm up after Saturday so we shall see. Can’t cancel the trip now.
Assume that you are a member of the San Juan Mountain Trail Group on Facebook.

Later,
Johnny

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Assume that you are a member of the San Juan Mountain Trail Group on Facebook.

Later,
Johnny
Just looked that up. I am on the San Juan jeeps group though. I adjusted my route plan last night since the telluride side of Imogene is closed. Maybe they could have it open on Thursday. Wishful thinking. :)
Sponsored