Air Conditioning Bypass Question

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I recently went to a dealership to option out a 2 door Sport S. While going through the list there was an option called ‘air conditioning bypass’. I read that and assumed that it means that it gets rid of the air conditioning, something I do not want to happen. The sales guy said that it does not get rid of the AC and that it’s something they just have to check off. So on my build form I am getting ‘Air Condtioning Bypass’ which is sales code 4XA and is a $0 option. Just wondering if it gets rid of the AC or not?
Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it let’s in outside air without going through the conditioning of the system. Years ago you could flip a physical switch and instead of having the blower move air around the cabin of a vehicle, the outside air would flow through the vents. Today, many cars have no way to allow outside air into the vehicle through the vents.

My understanding is that this allows you to bring in outside air by “bypassing” the conditioning by the system.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On the 2 door, A/C becomes an option with the S package. The "bypass" does what you imagine, it deletes the A/C. At least, that's the way it was when I got my 2011, 2012, and 2018 models.

It's terrible how many sales people know absolutely nothing about what they're selling.

OP
OP
IceInfusion

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately what you guys have said is what I have found online... two different answers.

Copterdoctor64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Rubicon
Also agree that it is the code for no A/C.

It directs the installation of the A/C bypass pulley during manufacturing since the compressor isn't there.

Sponsored

xiaohei

First Name
hei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl2019
Also agree that it is the code for no A/C.

It directs the installation of the A/C bypass pulley during manufacturing since the compressor isn't there.
yes, this way dealer can save $1200.

OP
OP
IceInfusion

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just an update. I placed the order for my Jeep on the weekend. They ensured me that selecting the AC Bypass means that it comes with AC. The salesperson asked a couple other of the sales reps and even the owner of the dealership. They said that you have to select that option in order to have the vents “opened and not blocked”.

OP
OP
IceInfusion

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Final update. I contacted FCA and they stated that AC Bypass means no AC. I let the dealership know and they stated that they figured that out before the order was officially placed. So all is good. Anyone reading this in the future... AC Bypass = No AC.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Just an update. I placed the order for my Jeep on the weekend. They ensured me that selecting the AC Bypass means that it comes with AC. The salesperson asked a couple other of the sales reps and even the owner of the dealership. They said that you have to select that option in order to have the vents “opened and not blocked”.
Sounds like they don't know what "bypass" means. Good thing you were able to inform the dealer!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I haven't seen a manual air vent on a 4x4 since the early 1980s. There's no way that could have been what the term meant.

It was said all along that "A/C Bypass" on a new FCA vehicle means that there is no air conditioning.
Sponsored