Sponsored

AEV 3.0 Snorkel Causing P04DB CEL

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Second trip with the snorkel installed, I get the P04DB code. No visible issues with the crankcase vent hose and the timing of the code seems much more likely airflow related. Folks have reported this code after air filters weren’t reinstalled, which yields increased pressure in the CCV system. My best guess is the ram air effect of the snorkel is increasing intake pressure enough to trip the code. AEV has not yet responded to my call about it. The engine otherwise seems to be running fine but I have no idea if this will effect performance/longevity long term. Maybe just turn the intake cap around to decrease the ram air effect?
Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Second trip with the snorkel installed, I get the P04DB code. No visible issues with the crankcase vent hose and the timing of the code seems much more likely airflow related. Folks have reported this code after air filters weren’t reinstalled, which yields increased pressure in the CCV system. My best guess is the ram air effect of the snorkel is increasing intake pressure enough to trip the code. AEV has not yet responded to my call about it. The engine otherwise seems to be running fine but I have no idea if this will effect performance/longevity long term. Maybe just turn the intake cap around to decrease the ram air effect?
Maybe you could put a bunch of tampax in it! Lol just kidding. That totally sucks...007! Hope AEV responds faster than they get things to market! Nothing like being on the bleeding edge of technology and testing product out for the manufacturer!

I know you follow directions and how painful that is! Can't wait to hear what they say.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you could put a bunch of tampax in it! Lol just kidding. That totally sucks...007! Hope AEV responds faster than they get things to market! Nothing like being on the bleeding edge of technology and testing product out for the manufacturer!

I know you follow directions and how painful that is! Can't wait to hear what they say.
I just talked to Nate over at AEV. Mine is the third diesel throwing that code with the snorkel so that’s a large percentage of the few that are actually installed. The running theory is that the ram air effect is in fact over pressurizing the intake and leading to the crankcase vent pressure issue. They are going to test some with the mushroom looking pre-filter which gets rid of the ram air effect. In the mean time I’m also going to flip my regular intake head around to mitigate the same issue. I’ve also got a K&N filter in the intake box so something with higher resistance might help too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went for 2X 55 mile trips through a mountain pass and on the highway up to 85 mph today with the intake head reversed…No CEL or noticeable change in performance. There is slightly more low speed intake sound with the rear facing orientation, but not annoying. Looks a little odd, but I think AEV owes me a Sy-Klone pre-filter for beta testing this piece of equipment.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
how annoying!

i'll be curious to hear what AEV has to say about this.

I went for 2X 55 mile trips through a mountain pass and on the highway up to 85 mph today with the intake head reversed…No CEL or noticeable change in performance. There is slightly more low speed intake sound with the rear facing orientation, but not annoying. Looks a little odd, but I think AEV owes me a Sy-Klone pre-filter for beta testing this piece of equipment.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Following. Just ordered my snorkel and I am running a k&n drop-in currently so I’m interested in seeing where this goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following. Just ordered my snorkel and I am running a k&n drop-in currently so I’m interested in seeing where this goes.
I’ve had no recurrence of the CEL running the ram air intake reversed over the last month. Still no word from AEV about the Sy-Klone.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had no recurrence of the CEL running the ram air intake reversed over the last month. Still no word from AEV about the Sy-Klone.
Good to know, thanks. My worry with the Sy-Klone is how it will react to freezing rain, snow, etc. and the spinny bit freezing up.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine in and installed it yesterday. Looks great. A couple quick runs to town and back at 100kph and no code thrown yet. JLURD, how long of a drive and how fast were you going when it threw a code?

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 3.0 Snorkel Causing P04DB CEL A0CB0757-272E-4522-8985-EEBE0EBECF7E

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 3.0 Snorkel Causing P04DB CEL B370F41C-6500-44C9-A283-6D8F8A8D1279

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve now run almost 200km with no CEL. Ran to work and back at various speeds between 60kph and 120kph. I wonder tho, because I’m running the GDE tune if the crankcase pressure threshold could be increased as part of the tune?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I have a K&N filter too. Waiting to hear! That mushroom will look sexy.!
Honestly, I don't see why you can't put a mushroom on there now. I didn't understand why AEV said its not CyKlone compatible.

If you look at the OEM air intake, it's underneath the hood with no RAM air. Honestly a mushroom would simulate the OEM air intake waaaay better than a RAM air would.

I'm not saying they're dumb over there, just that it didn't make sense why they would completely change the air intake style and not mess with computer in the process. I mean that's some pretty common sense stuff right there. If you start messing with the mechanics of the engine, you should be tuning it too.

Just you wait and see they're going to come out and say "After careful consideration and much testing, mushroom intakes are recommended."

If you want proof, look at any of those European diesel models, or better yet diesel Humvees, they all run mushroom intakes.
Sponsored