Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Hello again everyone!

My local dealership has a Rubicon in the showroom that is loaded with Mopar Performance accessories. It’s given me a good chance to see the Fox shocks, tube doors, A-pillar light mounts, and grill guard light mounts in person. It also has the Mopar Snorkel, which has me again thinking about adding one to my rig.

Are there any downsides to the snorkel? Does it negatively affect performance by restricting airflow or feeding warmer air to the engine?

Any & all advice appreciated.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I don't think it restricts in any way and the air outside is much cooler than the air in the engine bay even on a hot day. I jut don't like cutting out the hood IMO, but if you don't have a Rubicon with the decal on the hood then the cut may not be as jarring. Always looked weird to me putting a big hole through the area where the decal is.

I'd personally rather have this as it integrates into the panel below the A pillar with no cutting required: https://www.morris4x4center.com/rug...MIuWBv0Igz7CP_iuOAsCvGudMT0uyszkaAswvEALw_wcB

Also if you're gonna run a snorkel and use it as intended make sure you also extend your diff and trans vent tubes.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Also if you're gonna run a snorkel and use it as intended make sure you also extend your diff and trans vent tubes.
I’m curious about this. Didn’t know about these vents. I go through pits of water up to 24-30”. Are those vents being open going to cause damage?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I’m curious about this. Didn’t know about these vents. I go through pits of water up to 24-30”. Are those vents being open going to cause damage?
The vent tubes extend up about 18", and have one way air valves on them. But people do believe you should extend them up to top of engine, and up behind the rear tail light. Something I want to do someday, once I see a cool easy video showing me how. :)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I would be cautious - technically you're within OEM spec but crawl under your Jeep and take a look at the vent tubes. The rear one is secured right to the lower tub - I haven't extended mine yet but if anyone does know of a video / DIY / what parts to purchase to make the extension that would be massively helpful. I've heard of people extending it up into the taillight area but haven't seen specifics on how it was done. I think if you're doing any water related activities it all it's better safe than sorry to get these tubes brought a little higher.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I would be cautious - technically you're within OEM spec but crawl under your Jeep and take a look at the vent tubes. The rear one is secured right to the lower tub - I haven't extended mine yet but if anyone does know of a video / DIY / what parts to purchase to make the extension that would be massively helpful. I've heard of people extending it up into the taillight area but haven't seen specifics on how it was done. I think if you're doing any water related activities it all it's better safe than sorry to get these tubes brought a little higher.
I've been contemplating using this. Looks like it would fit the bill.

https://haukoffroad.com/shop-by/man...n-bobs-breather-hose-extension-kit-universal/

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Are there any downsides to the snorkel? Does it negatively affect performance by restricting airflow or feeding warmer air to the engine?
It'd only affect performance if you were running a supercharger where you need to draw more unrestricted air. If you decide to pull the trigger on the Mopar one, make sure you get the latest revision (part AC I think) where they've tweaked some of the mounting hardware to actually use screws and bolts and not rely solely on 3M adhesive tape.
Sponsored