Rubi II

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I take out all the hinge bolts in spring, put them back in the winter. I only put them back to attempt to keep salt and grime out of the hinge. Might help, might not, but I feel better about it lol. If I lived somewhere with no snow/salt, I'd leave them out forever.

I always re-attach the door catches though, I prefer the traditional door operation of having those installed when the doors are on, rather then swinging freely.
Interesting! I will have to play around with that. The less steps in door removal the better:)
Sponsored

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUHT (JLHT?) '19 F-150 5.0 '03 Envoy XL
Occupation
RE20 microphones
I take out all the hinge bolts in spring, put them back in the winter. I only put them back to attempt to keep salt and grime out of the hinge. Might help, might not, but I feel better about it lol. If I lived somewhere with no snow/salt, I'd leave them out forever.

I always re-attach the door catches though, I prefer the traditional door operation of having those installed when the doors are on, rather then swinging freely.
My only concern would be exposure to the elements on the hinge threads... may be a non-issue and worth the time-saving tradeoff? What about bumps on the road, even with the door shut do the hinges have any slop/play that might cause damage to either the paint or hinge itself?

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
My only concern would be exposure to the elements on the hinge threads... may be a non-issue and worth the time-saving tradeoff? What about bumps on the road, even with the door shut do the hinges have any slop/play that might cause damage to either the paint or hinge itself?
I forgot to mention that part. The threads will probably be fine, but you can add these, it'll protect the threads on the door pins. Jury is out if they truly help realignment of the door or not:

https://www.amazon.com/jeep-door-pin-guides/s?k=jeep+door+pin+guides

Door will go nowhere when closed. Between the weight of the door, and the door latch. The hinges are also lined with a bushing to protect it from the pin rotation and sliding in and out. Some replace that bushing with derlin to prevent corrosion of the bushing and pin:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jeep+doo...x=jeep+door+bushings,aps,160&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
My situation is a little different from most, I gather.

I tan easily and am dating a brown girl. So I just have a mesh cover that I can't remember the brand of. I am 5'8" and she is 5', so space is plentiful. I got the door off mirrors when I ordered the Jeep, they work great. Drain plugs are out now, after a good fall storm had a couple inches in the floorboards.

The whole process doesn't take long. My new issue for next season is storing the doors. I left them outside and when I went to put them back on I found that the birds were perching on them and scratching at their reflections in the mirror. Oh, and shitting, of course.

I have long hair so I keep a hat to keep it tame. A "fishermans" style hat with a chin strap is great. Mine says "I (heart) Hot Moms".

I also need to add a lockable tool box for my normal gear.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I'm leaning toward a lockable ice chest - yeti clone - that can be cable locked to the d rings in the "trunk." Less expensive. Does double duty for when you need a cooler.

I'm also think the roll up tool bags are a better use of space than a standard tool box.
My "normal gear" includes mountain bike helmets and running shoes, etc. Plus recovery gear and the like.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi II

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm leaning toward a lockable ice chest - yeti clone - that can be cable locked to the d rings in the "trunk." Less expensive. Does double duty for when you need a cooler.

I'm also think the roll up tool bags are a better use of space than a standard tool box.
I like this idea!

Newwilly420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
No play in the doors, as far as I can tell bolts serve almost no practical purpose.

I remove zero bolts to take my doors off.

Almost guaranteed to nick the paint at some point taking the bolts on and off, so I just leave them off for the warm months.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I use the 2-piece Alien sunshade, CMM mirrors, have the door pin covers, and the Fishbone footpegs. Everything but the foot pegs is great, looking for a better set.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi II

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use the 2-piece Alien sunshade, CMM mirrors, have the door pin covers, and the Fishbone footpegs. Everything but the foot pegs is great, looking for a better set.
Good to know, thank you! Any issues with headroom with Alien two piece?

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Good to know, thank you! Any issues with headroom with Alien two piece?
No issues, you can sense it’s lower but it doesn’t interfere. I originally had the Mopar sunshade which does the full cover, but I didn’t like it. Much prefers the alien and it’s easy to pop on or off. I have it off now since the sun is low in the sky but will run it probably march thru October.

OP
OP
Rubi II

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No issues, you can sense it’s lower but it doesn’t interfere. I originally had the Mopar sunshade which does the full cover, but I didn’t like it. Much prefers the alien and it’s easy to pop on or off. I have it off now since the sun is low in the sky but will run it probably march thru October.
Awesome, thank you!

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
If you have a wreck with the doors on, the bolts will keep the doors in place. The doors are part of the crumple zone cage that saves your life, or the life of your family member. Otherwise, yeah ... it's a pain to put the bolts on and off all the time.
I considered that aspect, it would take a seriously viscous accident for them to come out. I mean the hinges still lock them against the door jam.

I was thinking a multiple rollover situation is where you’d really want those bolts on.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the two piece Alien Ware sunshades for over two years and love them. They truly provide around 90% protection from the sun and are very well made. I just leave them in place when I put my hard top back on and no problems. I'm 6'2" and I have plenty of head room. Honestly one of the best upgrades I have made on my 2018 Rubicon.
Sponsored