MaxjlIT

First Name
Massimilian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Hello everyone,
Since I am planning to buy a compressor fridge and add some camping lights I would need some more battery capacity.
Has anybody installed an additional battery?
Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I haven't done anything, but I know there is a kit to change from the mini-battery to a full size battery so you have two full size batteries instead of a full capacity and a small capacity battery. I'm not aware of other set-ups. I think the kit is by Genesis? I'm unaffiliated and make no representations on its quality, just saying its out there.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hello everyone,
Since I am planning to buy a compressor fridge and add some camping lights I would need some more battery capacity.
Has anybody installed an additional battery?
Massimili, are you running a 3.6L JL?

If so, while I hear you on your need for more battery capacity, the method by which you do this is important.

Simply adding another battery to the main one in parallel, or replacing the main with a larger one, and you'll still have the "Achilles Heel" of relying on the ESS/Aux battery to have power in order to crank your rig.

When the 3.6L engine cranks, be it a cold crank or ESS one, the ESS/Aux battery must, on its own, have adequate power or the crank will not be attempted. This is somewhat moot during ESS events as the rig won't enter an ESS event, or end it prematurely if the ESS/Aux battery is low on power. But on cold cranks, a dead ESS/Aux battery will result in a dead rig barring some techniques to jumper the two stock batteries together.

As stated, the Genesis kit replaces both batteries so this is good in the sense that your getting a bigger ESS/Aux battery.

In all but cranks and ESS events the two batteries are connected in parallel. So you're running that camping gear against both batteries, say, when the rig is shut down, barring any factory cabling changes.
Sponsored