Adding under-seat subwoofer

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I considered doing that install location as well, until I realized that if caught in a downpour, with the top down, that area will get soaked and could potentially result in leakage. On another forum, some guy had that exact scenario happen, so now I'm investingating where under the steering wheel and on the firewall I can put some amps
There is quite a bit of room under there for a smaller amp or even two... In my JK, I put a 4 channel amp and a dsp there. It's toughing working under there, but it's a great spot to keep electronics safe from weather and potential theft.

Here's a pic
IMG-20151211-134037236-TOP.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Just what I was looking for. I'm debating removing the current sub and building a slightly larger box.

But, I found an under-seat box, wonder if anyone has tried them? I won't post a link because it'll be gone someday, but Google "Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 8" or 10"Subwoofer Box Enclosure For UNDER REAR SEAT" and here's a pic.
That looks great! Lucky 4 door guys... :)

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks - I am trying to keep the area behind my back seats completely void of gear as I will be running topless the majority of the time once Spring hits. I'll check out the passenger seat as a potential
Good idea. The sub I installed takes up a third of the cargo area.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
I considered doing that install location as well, until I realized that if caught in a downpour, with the top down, that area will get soaked and could potentially result in leakage. On another forum, some guy had that exact scenario happen, so now I'm investingating where under the steering wheel and on the firewall I can put some amps
JL Audio makes an amp rack that installs under the seat. It’s off of the floor 2”-3” and it is a universal fit for other amps.

Sponsored

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Thanks, sort of like the one I found better :(

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just what I was looking for. I'm debating removing the current sub and building a slightly larger box.

But, I found an under-seat box, wonder if anyone has tried them? I won't post a link because it'll be gone someday, but Google "Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 8" or 10"Subwoofer Box Enclosure For UNDER REAR SEAT" and here's a pic.
I'd seriously question whether the JL's rear seats would be able to fold down without crushing the box and speakers. To test it for yourself, try placing a small, empty cardboard box under your seat, and then fold the seat down. The JL's rear seats compress more than the JK's.

I can barely fit my hand and arm under there when it's folded down, and it's worth noting the pictures on the eBay site also look like they're of a JK. I do wish it were possible.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'd seriously question whether the JL's rear seats would be able to fold down without crushing the box and speakers. To test it for yourself, try placing a small, empty cardboard box under your seat, and then fold the seat down. The JL's rear seats compress more than the JK's.

I can barely fit my hand and arm under there when it's folded down, and it's worth noting the pictures on the eBay site also look like they're of a JK. I do wish it were possible.
Love the idea of the under seat sub myself, but i agree with this post. I don't think there is enough room for anything under the seats once they are folded down. I use my area to sleep in when I do road trips and wouldn't want to compromise the ability to fully lay down the seats.

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going in tomorrow. Where my sub was is damaged so he's going to add a custom box extension and put in a full-size subwoofer.

Sponsored

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Going in tomorrow. Where my sub was is damaged so he's going to add a custom box extension and put in a full-size subwoofer.
What size sub did you run before?

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't. I bought a wrecked MOAB,(profile pic) and the previous owner looks like he copied some YouTube videos and forums, upgrading all the speakers with JL audio, plus an extra, and he damaged the subwoofer housing. Mangled it to the point that the factory sub wouldn't go in smoothly—real amateur butcher job. RAM wants 980 for the plastic piece and subwoofer. My guys building the box and putting an amplifier to everything for the same price. I'll take a pic when he's done.

What size sub did you run before?

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude

This is my temporary setup:
286218-84195214a07250d51cbf7da9526085e3.jpg

I had this same box and sub in my JKU for 3 years. Attached a HIllman 18in Picture Hanger found at Lowes to the trail rail bolts (had to drill some new holes to get them to line up) and used some spacers on the three bolts. Attached a 12in picture hanger on the back of the sub box. Cam straps are there to keep the box from flying out when hitting a bump and at this point are just held in by the clips on the cover panel for the tailgate.

The box is a Metra Slim Ported Truckbox:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-...cks-and-suvs-charcoal/4845811.p?skuId=4845811

The amp is mounted under the passenger seat. I used a 8x10 sheet of plexi to mount the Kicker 400.1 and used some 1" spacers to raise it off the floorboard. Should be somewhat protected in the event of a rain storm, at least off the carpet, but its not an expensive amp so not to worried. There is plenty of room under the seat for a small/medium amp and I am not the least bit worried about heat buildup. I ran an old Rockford 350.1 under the passenger seat of JKU without issues and I've done 100's of other amp installs in underseat and cramped locations, it will be just fine.

My end goal is to have a custom box on the tailgate that barley extends into the cargo area. I've done the mock-up just don't have time to build it currently but plan on Rhino lining it to protect it from the elements and to find a more secure method to attach the cam straps.

Attachments

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took away very limited space and the full-size sub fits. Very happy with this.

image-29-02-20-05-17.jpeg

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I’m thinking the seat won’t fold down. I keep a wool army blanket under my rear seat to use as seat protection if I transport lumber or other stuff I don’t want touching the leather. The seat doesn’t fold flat with that blanket folded and stowed underneath it. I have been wrong before, but that sub and amp box probably isn’t going to work out if you ever want to fold the seats down.
Sponsored