Not open for further replies.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
The biggest frustration is that the parts are available, the work was done (as shown early in this thread) but that there's just no path to activation. The dealer should just activate this for basically free, assuming that the parts are on and connected.
Sponsored

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Just read through this entire thread to see what was going on. I didnt get Prox. Door locks but got remote start on my 2018 JL U Sport. I give props to everyone that put work on this especially Rocket Scientist. Would have been real cool if it worked out and saved a few hundred.

i find it pretty amazing how the FCA can make so many things coded into the system to prevent users from upgrading their systems on their own.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What i find amazing is how easy it is to add aftermarket remote start but impossible to add PKE.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Iā€™ve reached out to Chrysler through various channels but crickets. I even had a number to an engineer, but itā€™s basically ā€œbeep beepā€ forever on the line - so dead end.

When the Bronco comes out and starts cannibalizing sales, we might get a response.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A part of me wants to just solicit the help of a High School electronics wiz to create a box that encapsulates the key fob, and presses its open door button when the box's radio signal technology is in proximity of a transmitter, apart from FCA's, situated in the rig.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
So, I was noodling around in the JScan app while comparing the settings between my Wifeā€™s Jeep and mine and found this.
upload_2020-2-10_11-6-33.png

Hmmm. I donā€™t have the module and sensors but someone who does could try it out and see if that is the setting to get this to work.

Gregj

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
This would almost seem too easy. Wasn't there a mention of re-flashing the firmware?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Thatā€™s kind of what these things do. IDK if this will work or not but may be worth a try if you already have the hardware, I donā€™t have the module or the sensors to try it so just putting the info out there and hoping someone can get it working. Would be a cool addition to have.
Gregj

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK, Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that it can't be that hard.... these things are flying by in the line at the plant. Main wire harness has to be the same for all options. Sub harness probably not. Install the parts necessary and flash the cpu..... Hopefully this turns up something with that screen shot

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I agree that it can't be that hard.... these things are flying by in the line at the plant. Main wire harness has to be the same for all options. Sub harness probably not. Install the parts necessary and flash the cpu..... Hopefully this turns up something with that screen shot
You'd think that somebody at FCA with engineering knowledge of the difference in production between rigs built with proximity locks and those w/o would, for $, work with a buddy in the aftermarket, (if the retrofit didn't comparatively make installing the dual hitch pin wiring harness after market easy) to create a kit, that along with telling you exactly what and how to tell a dealer to flash the rig after install, that proximity locks could be achieved aftermarket.

Sponsored

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
You'd think that somebody at FCA with engineering knowledge of the difference in production between rigs built with proximity locks and those w/o would, for $, work with a buddy in the aftermarket, (if the retrofit didn't comparatively make installing the dual hitch pin wiring harness after market easy) to create a kit, that along with telling you exactly what and how to tell a dealer to flash the rig after install, that proximity locks could be achieved aftermarket.
I actually think they should make them all proximity capable, install a universal harness so that only the door handles are needed.
Then dealers could always do this as an easy plug and play install. Actual time to put in a handle is nil, and they could make easily make good money on this with their at-cost prices for parts.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I actually think they should make them all proximity capable, install a universal harness so that only the door handles are needed.
Then dealers could always do this as an easy plug and play install. Actual time to put in a handle is nil, and they could make easily make good money on this with their at-cost prices for parts.
The problem is they sold 240k and 228k in the first two years. Letā€™s assume a basic harness is 2 dollars cheaper to make, and letā€™s say half didnā€™t have proximity. They just saved 250,000 a year. Now figure in all the other stuff that doesnā€™t go in a basic over upgraded model and you can see itā€™s a significant cost savings.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@xray I agree. The bean counters likely don't and would probably say that to make the upgrade too easy would incentivize enough DIYers (found in higher percentages I'd guess among Wrangler owners) to forgo the feature at purchase, and do it themselves afterwards, like many other items where better value is found in the aftermarket, from headliners to roof rails.

@TurboCopter : I also agree. It is why I welcome the Ford Bronco even if I don't see myself driving it. I say this because competition brings more value for the $ to rigs with marketplace alternatives. Some of the things Jeep charges extra for, or doesn't even make available, other vehicle manufacturers wouldn't dream of not including for fear that market share would be gobbled up by a competitor with such things standard.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
My dealership said it I supply the parts, they would install and flash. They said the parts are not available to them. If someone would post or direct me to the post with the complete parts list with number I will give it a go.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.