Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

Jkjones1

First Name
JOSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
This really is a great thread. I have the alpine 8.4” upgraded system. If i used the AMPRO AP4 interface, could I just add an amplifier to the existing speakers? If so, any thoughts on the benefits that would have on the sound Relative to the existing Alpine amp? I find the alpine system to be decent, but was thinking a different, more powerful amp, could bring the existing speakers to life a bit more and save me the hassle of disassembling the entire dash to replace the speakers, etc.

Sorry if this has already been asked- i couldn’t find thoughts on this specifically via the search, which could be due to it being a terrible idea!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This really is a great thread. I have the alpine 8.4” upgraded system. If i used the AMPRO AP4 interface, could I just add an amplifier to the existing speakers? If so, any thoughts on the benefits that would have on the sound Relative to the existing Alpine amp? I find the alpine system to be decent, but was thinking a different, more powerful amp, could bring the existing speakers to life a bit more and save me the hassle of disassembling the entire dash to replace the speakers, etc.

Sorry if this has already been asked- i couldn’t find thoughts on this specifically via the search, which could be due to it being a terrible idea!

Thanks in advance
It's a good question, and while addressed, it's worth repeating that the stock speakers are very close to being maxed out by the existing amp. They "might" sound better for a little while, but will likely get damaged quickly. Stock systems are tuned for max performance given the provided equipment and just can't take much more. You could run it until you blow them, then upgrade, but I'd recommend getting the work done and fully enjoy your system now vs. delaying and dealing with two separate installs.

Hope that helps!

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Outstanding Thead of knowledge here! My setup: Alpine 8.4 Premium with OEM sub. After having the top and doors off this summer, it’s time for something better in sound.

If I add the MB Quarts MBQJ-STG6A-1 800 Watt Stage 6, can I also add their NA2-400.1 mono sub amp to power the OEM sub or would it be too much power for that OEM sub? Would it even help or just leave it with the OEM sub with the original power setup?

I dont mind another $100 for the amp and upgrading while in the dash, if it’s possible and helps improve the OEM sub. I really don’t want to replace the OEM sub if at all possible.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Outstanding Thead of knowledge here! My setup: Alpine 8.4 Premium with OEM sub. After having the top and doors off this summer, it’s time for something better in sound.

If I add the MB Quarts MBQJ-STG6A-1 800 Watt Stage 6, can I also add their NA2-400.1 mono sub amp to power the OEM sub or would it be too much power for that OEM sub? Would it even help or just leave it with the OEM sub with the original power setup?

I dont mind another $100 for the amp and upgrading while in the dash, if it’s possible and helps improve the OEM sub. I really don’t want to replace the OEM sub if at all possible.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
My gut says that the OEM sub will be maxed already as well, and it will not do much better powered.

That said, I do plan to get their sub amp as well and power the OEM sub for a bit to try it out. Then replace it with their 8" sub. If I can reuse the enclosure I will, if not, then I hope they come out with something better. :CWL:

I would really like the cubby back for recovery gear, so I may just go with a removable box for the sub? Still thinking about it.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My gut says that the OEM sub will be maxed already as well, and it will not do much better powered.

That said, I do plan to get their sub amp as well and power the OEM sub for a bit to try it out. Then replace it with their 8" sub. If I can reuse the enclosure I will, if not, then I hope they come out with something better. :CWL:

I would really like the cubby back for recovery gear, so I may just go with a removable box for the sub? Still thinking about it.
Thanks Krondor. I’ve already upgraded my knee pods (yeah hate to do this again) with the 6.5” Metra pods a while back and put in Focal 60 rms speakers, which was fine at the time but now ready to go all in with something better. Would I need to replace the Metra pods already installed with the MB Quarts pods? Is their 6.5” pods specific to their speaker? Just trying to avoid more assembly if possible.

At this point in the project and with your troubleshooting to “get your more expected result” in the end, are you happy overall with the MB Quarts system or kind of wish you would have go with something a little different?

I’m about to order and just want to do the right thing for the time and money investment.

Thanks for any thoughts or knowledge gained on this!

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
The MBQuart pods come with crossovers for their speakers. One channel runs both from their amp. If you already have your Focal running with their tweet up top, then I'd leave it alone.

As far as the MBQuart offering: I really like the kit. Great sound and output really.

Can it be better? Yes, but I suspect you would have to pay a great bit more to do it.

I have an Alpine amp and some Dynaudio speakers in the basement and I haven't been tempted to use them. If that's any indication?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The MBQuart pods come with crossovers for their speakers. One channel runs both from their amp. If you already have your Focal running with their tweet up top, then I'd leave it alone.

As far as the MBQuart offering: I really like the kit. Great sound and output really.

Can it be better? Yes, but I suspect you would have to pay a great bit more to do it.

I have an Alpine amp and some Dynaudio speakers in the basement and I haven't been tempted to use them. If that's any indication?
I’m going for it then. I’ll update on the project after Christmas. Thanks for the encouragement, however I only needed a slight nudge... :rock:

Last edited:

Molson123123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Much appreciated to all of you that have contributed to this thread. I can take on many things. I’ve put the restyle head unit in and have also put the underseat sub and amp from alpine as it was easy to do and plug and play. I’ve swapped out the roll bar speakers and the dash speakers. I’m ready (almost) to tackle the knee panel. But without a plug and play option, I need to ask for help because electrical stuff is really hard for me to figure out. Best I can tell, it looks like I need 4 ohm speakers to avoid putting any inline resistors? Can anyone verify that? Also, Sting, the number for your friend in Charlotte is posted on the first page. Is that still accurate? I live in the Charlotte area and want to touch base with him. Thanks all

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Much appreciated to all of you that have contributed to this thread. I can take on many things. I’ve put the restyle head unit in and have also put the underseat sub and amp from alpine as it was easy to do and plug and play. I’ve swapped out the roll bar speakers and the dash speakers. I’m ready (almost) to tackle the knee panel. But without a plug and play option, I need to ask for help because electrical stuff is really hard for me to figure out. Best I can tell, it looks like I need 4 ohm speakers to avoid putting any inline resistors? Can anyone verify that? Also, Sting, the number for your friend in Charlotte is posted on the first page. Is that still accurate? I live in the Charlotte area and want to touch base with him. Thanks all
It is, and Travis has helped quite a few folks here. I'm on the road so I can't respond to the other questions at the moment, but will if others haven't chimed in by then.

Sponsored

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
@Sting_NC_USA, thank you for the tips on accessing the kick panel pods. You saved me a ton of time and headache.

It took me a bit to sort out which bolts @onspeed said to remove for the metal bar on the driver side. Only one is visible in your picture, the one on the right vertical bar that bolts to it. Another is hidden but attaches the left vertical bar. The very left one is under the kick panel just above the connector for the wiring to the door. Once I figured that out, the driver side pod was easily removed by manipulating that bar out of the way. Now I see @onspeed showed pics in post #929, which I wish I'd seen before I started on this!

Massive difference in sound with 6.5 in speakers replacing the factory 4 in speakers.

For those considering it, for the most part I did the Alpine upgrade you can get on Quadratec. Same amp, same sub, same rears, and now the Alpine fronts with Metra pods. I ordered everything separately from Crutchfield and got the Alpine T wire harness from Alpine's distributor. I couldn't use the underseat bracket because I have a 2 door and that bracket only works on 4 doors. I extended the wiring to the sub so it would reach the rear storage compartment where the sub is installed if you get the upgraded system in the two door. If you order everything separately, it's a few hundred bucks cheaper, but I went with this solution because all the wiring connectors are plug and play with the Jeep.

Lesson here: get the upgraded sound from the factory. Doing this upgrade myself was a pain in the a$$ for the 2 door.

Last edited:

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
Check out the Metra Pods with Alpine speakers on Quadratec to avoid the wiring complexities. Plug and play with kick panel connectors. Sound very nice, though they send JK instructions instead of JL.

Molson123123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Check out the Metra Pods with Alpine speakers on Quadratec to avoid the wiring complexities. Plug and play with kick panel connectors. Sound very nice, though they send JK instructions instead of JL.
Yep, was thinking the same. Thanks

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This thread just exceeded 250,000 Views! Wow, just WOW! This is such a great community!

Cheers!

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m going for it then. I’ll update on the project after Christmas. Thanks for the encouragement, however I only needed a slight nudge... :rock:
First all, many thanks to forum member Krondor for providing some technical support throughout this project.

I actually got finished before Christmas!
This week, I installed the MB Quart MBQJ-STG6A-1 six speaker kit (the Ampro comes with the kit). The kit has everything needed to upgrade the dash, knees and soundbar for incredible sound improvement. I have to say it’s one of the best mods I’ve done by far. The sound improvement is night and day better over the Alpine 8.4 Premium system IMO. It was 4 days of pain for the installation, but well worth the time and money. I was never satisfied with the OEM system even with adding a few other aftermarket speakers, just never was enough. I’m 100% convinced this is the way to go for plug & play without completely breaking the bank for the DIY person.

I was also able to keep my OEM sub and tie in my aftermarket Kicker Hideaway 8” sub as well. If going this route, just connect the Ampro harness connections to allow for retaining the OEM amplified system to keep the OEM sub. The Kicker 8” sub can get its signal from the RCA jacks to the Ampro R/L sub plug in locations. Here are some pictures of the project and I highly recommend this kit.

Sound exceeded my expectations,

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 5E7066BD-7079-41DA-84D4-802B7B5E2D3E

Keep the Ampro a couple inches away from these two pipes when mounting inside the glove box. These pipes get pretty hot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) AAEEDE01-2327-4363-92DE-A465A83E813C

I faced the Ampro update data port outward in case there are future firmware updates and will be easy access. Note: The blue remote wires will need to be spliced.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 3FD578C6-E0F2-4C76-9905-270A23C480D4

Went ahead and added the MB Quart additional sub amp, wiring and making it ready for another sub in the future.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) EEB1FCAC-22B4-4A15-A0C6-17A8595339B5

Hush Mat added to the new 6.5” pods
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 4D8B28DD-FAFB-4DCC-B4D4-DE11E8AF2324

Polyfil too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 0C485D50-266A-4DBB-B9E9-3ED508DC121E

Major dash disassembly, but very doable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 9036B973-E190-46C1-9B9A-85BE8344B03D

New 6x9 installed. I used a hot knife to cut it out where needed around the template and never actually removed the soundbar.

Glad it is over, but even more glad I did this mod!
Sponsored

Last edited: