Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

tthoms

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Willy's)
So I wired my dash speakers in series with my passenger knee panel. Tapped the wires and ran them up the dash, under the top dash panel. Worked like a charm and I’m all up and running! A million thanks to Sting N.C. and everyone else in this thread who made it super informative. I learned a ton. This install was extremely taxing...I’m gonna go bump some tunes and recover!
Sponsored

tthoms

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question: Can the PAC module’s 5/6 rca channel be used to send signal to another amp for a sub? If not, can someone let me in on how to add another amp + a sub to my existing aftermarket system. I can figure out setting up the amp, but how do I get it to communicate with my head unit/PAC to run the sub?

To remind/inform, I currently have:

-PAC module
-Stock 7” stereo unit
-Four 6.5” speakers (knee and roll)
-Two 3.5” speakers (ran in series, dash corners)
-4 channel amp that powers the 6.5s
-all new speaker wire throughout

THANKS

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
To clarify, you seem to be agreeing that the capacitor side is positive based on the factory diagram, but based on your battery test the factory diagram is wrong. Maybe that explains the issue with the Metra adapters that are connecting the factory + to the speaker -.

The most important thing is to connect all the speakers in phase, either all connected + to + or all connected + to -. If all the speakers are replaced using the Metra adapters, they will still all be in phase with each other. If only some of the speakers are replaced using the Metra adapters, those will be out of phase unless the Metra wires are modified.

Here's the factory diagram which shows gray/violet as positive and a picture that shows the Metra adapter connecting the gray/violet wire to the black Metra wire which has the small spade connector and will connect to the negative terminal of a speaker.
LF speaker wires.PNG

metra speaker harness 4.jpg
I didn’t look at wiring diagrams when I initially did my speaker connections, because I kept seeing conflicting info about them online. So I noted which wire was on the capacitor side and which was on the other side and did my battery test. For all 4 3.5” speakers, + was on the non-capacitor side.
Agree about the important part of all speakers being in phase.
Just now, I pulled my top front passenger side speaker and green/yellow is connected to +. The other wire which is green/purple is negative. I didn’t use Metra adapter because the part I ordered based on another thread were not correct - they were too big, so I spliced and used butt connectors.
I did just hook up my amp & sub today since the amp just got delivered this morning (Rockville RWS10CA) and after a little tuning of the gains on the amp & sub, everything sounds AWESOME - even with top & doors off. The sub bangs hard in my 2 door facing the tailgate. I do get a little too much highs on some songs, but expected with the speakers I chose for the 3.5” (Kicker 47KSC3504). Nothing a minor eq tweak on the head unit can’t fix as needed.
Also, I did have some funky noise/static after initial hook up, but as soon as I flipped the PAC AmpPro dip switch #2 down to set the output voltage to 4v, it went away 100%.
My only outstanding issue is fixing the amp & the PAC AmpPro more permanently. Right now it’s all shoved to the side of the radio and behind the glove box. Really not good. Anyone install both units (KTP-445U amp & Pac AmpPro and figure out a good way to keep them secured? I read about having the PAC on the side where th glove box lever is, but nothing I tried seemed to work well...hence it’s just shoved in there right now.
I also have zero intentions of replacing any of the stock 4” speakers - either in the knee panels or in the soundbar. I’m extremely pleased how everything sounds right now.

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
Question: Can the PAC module’s 5/6 rca channel be used to send signal to another amp for a sub? If not, can someone let me in on how to add another amp + a sub to my existing aftermarket system. I can figure out setting up the amp, but how do I get it to communicate with my head unit/PAC to run the sub?

To remind/inform, I currently have:

-PAC module
-Stock 7” stereo unit
-Four 6.5” speakers (knee and roll)
-Two 3.5” speakers (ran in series, dash corners)
-4 channel amp that powers the 6.5s
-all new speaker wire throughout

THANKS
Yes, those last 2 RCA’s are labeled as non-fading and are what most of us are using to feed our subs. I used them today to connect to a powered sub (integrated amp) and it works great.

tthoms

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, those last 2 RCA’s are labeled as non-fading and are what most of us are using to feed our subs. I used them today to connect to a powered sub (integrated amp) and it works great.
Yes! That’s great. Thank you.

Sponsored

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Thank you Sting and everyone on this thread some nice and informative information. It got me going and decided to improve my rides music. So I ordered a set of Focals ICU 100 for the kick panels and the ES 100K for the SB and will get the dash speakers updated after my wallet recovers. Which brings me to the question in regards to the ES 100 it has separate tweeter, that is going to replace the existing tweeters. Heads up I have no clue what I am doing, but should I leave in the tweeters that are already in the SB and put the new tweeters around them or in a different location if that doesn't work or use them as intended. Thank you all in advance.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Sting and everyone on this thread some nice and informative information. It got me going and decided to improve my rides music. So I ordered a set of Focals ICU 100 for the kick panels and the ES 100K for the SB and will get the dash speakers updated after my wallet recovers. Which brings me to the question in regards to the ES 100 it has separate tweeter, that is going to replace the existing tweeters. Heads up I have no clue what I am doing, but should I leave in the tweeters that are already in the SB and put the new tweeters around them or in a different location if that doesn't work or use them as intended. Thank you all in advance.
Trash the stock speakers and put the new tweeters in the stock tweeter location. If they don't already come with brackets, you'll need a way to mount the tweeter up there. These brackets are simply the first examples I found, but just about anything will work, including fabricating your own mount.

Good luck on your journey!

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Trash the stock speakers and put the new tweeters in the stock tweeter location. If they don't already come with brackets, you'll need a way to mount the tweeter up there. These brackets are simply the first examples I found, but just about anything will work, including fabricating your own mount.

Thanks for the advice also the link

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Thanks for the advice also the link

Picking your brain again I got my speakers, and was planning installing this weekend. Wanted advice on the location of the crossovers, they obviously need to be close to the speakers will they fit in the SB and do I need to make sure they don't move by sticking them with some sort of adhesive tape or screws. And will they fit size 1 1/4 × 3 x 4 1/4
Thanks in advance

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
(If you reply to this post - PLEASE do not quote the entire post! It is entirely too long to be repeated over and over. Thx!)

There was little information available (at the time of this original post) regarding audio wiring schematics for the JL. This thread was put together to serve as a single location for us to build upon. I'll update it periodically until this project is finished (FYI, it's now complete!).

Prior Needs:
  • Wiring Schematic, including specific wire colors
    • Base System (Solved - See below) - The Speaker Wiring Schematic is now provided to help identify positive/negative polarity
    • Alpine System (Solved - See below)
  • Override UConnect load sensing test (UConnect checks for the stock speaker resistance and turns individual outputs off if not "seen." (Solved - See below)
First and foremost, a line level converter process is needed. There are two primary methods to convert the uConnect signal and each is highlighted below (Adding Resistors or Adding a PAC Amp Pro).

When removing the stock speakers, the uConnect system has to be "tricked" into sending its audio signal to each speaker. In short, the Jeep's uConnect system checks for the proper resistance load introduced by our stock speakers.

If uConnect doesn't detect the proper resistance on any particular channel, the system turns that channel's signal off. I'd originally found only one option that worked (see the Resistor approach below). If you're interested in reading more about how the resistor approach works, this is a great article on the topic: Everything is hooked up but no sound is playing, just don't buy the Audio Control AC-LGD device it discusses. I'll elaborate...

I tried the AudioControl AC-LGD device, and it worked... sporadically. Evidently the resistance tolerances for the AC-LGD were too narrow causing it to work sometimes, and not others.

The JL Audio FiX-LSA-4 (a device similar to the AudioControl AC-LGD, but made by JL Audio) didn't work at all with the Jeep's load sensing issue. I spoke with a JL Audio tech, and this seems to be a known issue they'll likely address soon. The reason appears to be related to a difference in the Ohm load our stereo systems require vs. others.

This leads us to the two functional options for overriding the load sensing issue.

Option One: VERY EASY (and inexpensive) to do and requires light soldering:

Talking with the techs at PAC, and confirming via online references, a 47 OHM, 5 Watt Ceramic Resistor can be soldered to each pair of speaker level input wires feeding a Digital Sound Processor (DSP) such as the JL Audio FiX™ 86 or equivalent. DSP's help to flatten/condition the pre-EQ'd signal sent by the uConnect system.​
I tried this process, and it does work. You can order resistors here, and you'll find that they are very inexpensive. If you go this route, I recommend buying several more than you need, just in case you break a few.​
Each resistor is soldered to the (+) and (-) stock speaker wiring pair that you'll use to feed each line level converter input. If you're running a 4 channel amp, you'll need to purchase 4 resistors.​
Once again, this tricks the uConnect system into thinking the stock speakers are still there, allowing the system to turn each channel on without having the stock speaker attached. A home-made schematic of this resistor setup is included below.​
Resistor.PNG

And here's a photo of the resistors installed on the speaker wire, right before they enter the JL Fix86. Note that these weren't yet soldered and wrapped.​
20180902_155220.jpg

Option Two (Recommended): PAC Audio AP4-CH41R2

I was hesitant to update the post with this device initially, as I hadn't installed one personally. PAC has now updated their website to indicate the second revision (R2 in the model number) supports the Jeep JL and JT! The catch is it's a bit pricey! MSRP is originally at $349, though it can be found cheaper online. If you go this route, just make sure it's the R2 edition!​
Since the original posting, I have had the opportunity to install and calibrate the PAC device, and it does a good job of flattening the uConnect's signal. While I still recommend using a DSP like the JL Audio FiX™ 86 or equivalent, you can now effectively use the PAC Amp Pro as the sole "LOC" to feed a clean, low-level signal to your amp(s) via RCA Cables.​
PAC.PNG
Base Radio:​

Option 1 - Resistor Approach: For the speaker level inputs of the line output converter, I tapped into the speaker level outputs directly behind the Base System's radio. Those wires were extended and run through the middle console to the back of the Jeep, to my JL Audio FiX™ 86 where my amps are. Once again, wiring colors are available below.​
Option 2 - PAC Amp Pro approach: Plug the PAC Amp Pro's harness into the back of your stock radio, plug the radio's harness into the PAC Amp Pro, Connect a 12v Remote wire to your front 12V Adapter's positive wire, set your DIP Switches per the manual and then calibrate it. RCA Cables run from the PAC Amp Pro to your amp, or to your DSP and then your amp.​

Premium Radio:

Option 1 - Resistor Approach: For the speaker level inputs of the line output converter, you'll need to tap into the speaker level signals that are coming out of the stock amp, located under the steering column.​
Option 2 - PAC Amp Pro Approach: Same Option 2 for the base radio above, but check the PAC Amp Pro's DIP Switches and set via the supplied instructions.​

Premium Amp location (under the steering wheel) and modular plugs:

Premium Amp Wires.jpg

Premium Amp.jpg

Sub-woofer only install:
If you are simply adding a sub-woofer and plan to keep the stock speakers intact, you can skip the resistor or PAC Amp Pro processes described above. Instead, you'll simply tap your connections into the rear speaker wires housed in the B-pillar, behind the passenger seat at the floor level. The wires are easy to find after removing the plastic cover at the base of the pillar. The soundbar speaker wires are the only twisted pair wires down there, and they match the colors in the chart provided. Note, unless your amp has a line output converter built in (doubtful), you will need to add a line output converter (LOC). The AudioControl LC2i, or comparable device, works fine for a sub-only upgrade.​

Here are several additional details you may find helpful if the above hasn't scared you away yet...

On the Base System, there are four 4-inch speakers and four small tweeters. I ended up upgrading the Soundbar and the Kick Panels to 5.25-inch separates (Separate Woofer and Tweeter - also called "Components"). Now that Metra has introduced their new speaker pods, I can no longer recommend anything other than 6.5's in the kick panels, and here's why...

The Kick Panels:

The newly introduced Metra JP-1014 Speaker Pods, announced and released shortly after SEMA 2019, significantly simplify the kick panel speaker upgrade process. I have updated this post to recommend running 6.5-inch separates up front and 4-inch coax's in the soundbar if you don't want to modify the Soundbar much, or 6.5's if you run the SSV Works adapter. Going larger in the soundbar without the SSV Works adapter is possible, though it will require more cutting than I personally recommend, given the limited sound that can be achieved from the soundbar.

NEW: Installation Tip (Pictures added) - You DO NOT need to remove the entire dash to change out the Kick Panel pods!

To access/remove the speakers in the kick panels, you have to remove the two side dash panels (body clips hold the driver/passenger side on - pry off carefully) to access the screws dedicated to securing the dash's sides.

20200621_110646.jpg

The displayed, partially removed screws below are the only screws that must come out from under these panels, except there is one hidden screw recessed in the side of each Speaker Pod. The recessed screw is accessible within one of those larger silver "holes," and you can access it with a short Phillips head screwdriver. Once again, this applies to both the passenger and driver's side panels.

20200621_110353.jpg

Then, you'll need to remove the plastic panel under the steering column (body clips - pull the panel directly towards the driver's seat).

20200621_110757.jpg

On the passenger side, remove the glove box (depress the latch at the top-inside of the glove box to pull it down and outward). Then, remove the three black dash screws under the area where the glove box was. Only the black 7mm screws need to be removed.

20200411_133531.jpg

On the driver's side, each of the black 7mm screws visible here must be removed.

20200621_105936.jpg

Oh, and don't forget to remove this screw, too. It's tucked in just to the right of the Headlight/Dimmer pod, and removing it will give you much more space when rotating the driver's side Pod out.

20200621_105729.jpg

As mentioned, each of the Kick Panel speakers have a hidden screw recessed in the side dash panel area, as well as a screw at the top and bottom of the enclosure itself. Once all 3 of each speaker enclosure's screws are removed, you may carefully pull the bottom section of the dash away from it's mounts to access the Pods. Doing so allows you to rotate the speaker enclosures out. Be careful that you don't pull the dash so far out that you crease/pinch the dash covers.

The passenger side Kick Panel Speaker Pod rotates out easily, so there's no additional feedback provided for it. Simply unplug the speaker wire plug on the back, and you're done here!

There are a few NEW tricks to getting the driver's side Pod out easily.

After removing the side dash panel, the panel under the steering wheel and all of the screws previously shown, pop off the cover for the Headlight knob and Dimmer wheels using a pry tool.

20200621_101343.jpg

Next, from behind the dash, use your fingers to compress the silver tabs on the Headlight Knob/Dimmer plug. This will allow the assembly to easily pop out and provide access to the top Kick Panel Speaker Pod's mounting screw. Two clips on the top, and two clips on the bottom of the Headlight/Dimmer plug allow it to easily be pulled out, and there's no need to disconnect the wires.

20200621_101407.jpg

Here's the screw location for the top of the Driver's side Pod. Using a magnetic screwdriver will help in removing and re-installing this screw, as it's recessed a bit behind the Headlight/Dimmer pod. You can also use tape to temporarily hold the screw onto the screwdriver when re-installing.

20200621_101519.jpg

Once the side, top and bottom pod screws are removed, there's another trick to share regarding the removal of the driver's side Pod.

To do so, pull the dash section's you've loosened outward with your right hand, being careful not to crease any parts of the dash by bending it. Run your left hand up the inside of the dash to guide the top of the Pod. Then, with your right hand on the bottom of the Pod, lift up on the Pod, pushing it up into the dash as far as it will go, then, using your right hand, pull the bottom of the Pod towards you. It will pop over the metal dash frame that's under it, and you'll be able to rotate it out after that. You may need to rock the bottom of the Pod back and forth a few times while lifting up on it.

There's a black box connected to the back of the driver's side speaker with three screws. It's called a Gateway, and it's actually one of the things that makes the driver's side Pod so difficult to remove. You'll need to unplug both of its modular plugs (unless you're already running a Tazer JL) before removing the driver's side Pod.

Important: If you re-install your Metra Pods and your stereo doesn't turn on, it's likely because you didn't plug the Gateway's modular plugs back in. (This is the most requested question I receive!) The Gateway is the device in the bottom left of the following picture, and the driver's side Metra Pod has a place for this to be mounted on the back.

There's also a rather large hole on the back of the Metra Pod. The stock Mopar pods you removed have rubber plugs that you'll want to transfer. Just be sure to run your speaker wires through these rubber plugs before adding wire connectors and before trying to re-install the Pods.

20200621_103322.jpg

20200621_103607.jpg

Pictured below is one of the new Metra pods before the speaker's installed and another picture before the finished Pod is ready to be installed.

Note that I'm running 5.25-inch separates, yet these Pods are made for 6.5's. By using the speaker manufacturer's (Audison in this case) provided housing, the housing sits right over the 6.5-inch holes. Also, on the passenger side pod, there will still be a few screw holes open. Make sure you seal each unused hole with silicone, and/or a small screw, or it could end up "whistling."

While not shown, I did add sound deadening material inside the box, polyfil inside the box and also cut a gasket from the sound deadening material that sits between the speaker ring and the Metra Pod. The gasket simply seals out any air from the remaining, unused screw holes under the speaker.

20200621_103005.jpg

20200621_104453.jpg

To re-install everything, simply reverse the order above, ensuring all screws, clips and plugs go back nice and easy. There's no need to force anything.

When re-installing the driver's side Pod, you'll benefit by viewing the top bracket through the Headlight/Dimmer portal, ensuring it's at the location shown below before pushing the Pod up as far as it will go. Once you verify it's in the right spot, begin wedging the bottom of the Pod inward towards the front of the car. If you don't have the top section in the right spot, you'll struggle with pushing the Pod upward enough for the bottom and Gateway to clear the metal frame bracket. It really shouldn't require much force.

20200621_105046.jpg

The Soundbar:

If you do choose to upgrade to larger speakers in the soundbar, modifying the soundbar to accommodate larger speakers is fairly straight-forward. It takes some time/skill with a Dremel tool to enlarge the speaker cavities. You can fit a decent pair of mid-range coaxial speakers up there, or you could choose speaker separates. Each of the rear channels in the sound bar has a mid-range speaker and a separate tweeter already, so separates are possible, you'd just have to wire them on your own. Meaning, the stock mid-range woofer and tweeter on each channel share the same two wires (they aren't discreet). For separates, you would use the wire going into the mid-range woofer to connect to the separates' crossover, then run a new wire from the crossover to the new woofer and new tweeter.

Note, I rate upgrading the Soundbar speakers as "beginner" level install if you stay with 4-inch speakers, and as an "intermediate" level install if you up-size your speakers to 5.25-inch or larger.

Side note: All of the speakers in this system come factory installed in ported enclosures. That's how these little stock speakers sound slightly better than they should.​

I have deleted all "concerning" commentary previously shared regarding upgrading the kick panels now that the Metra pods are available. With the Metra pods, we are now presented with such a great option that I can't recommend anything other than using them with 6.5-inch separates. Advice: Invest the majority of your sound system money in the front soundstage, and use the soundbar speakers as nothing else but "fill" speakers.

If, after that advice, you still choose the Resistor route and use the JL Audio Fix™ 86, there is a calibration process necessary that requires a little patience. When calibrating the device, you must be 100% successful in "tricking" all four channels of the uConnect system into turning themselves on. If calibration doesn't work, meaning all channels didn't come on and all 4 lights on the JL Audio Fix™ 86 aren't green during the calibration, you should check your wire connections and possibly your solder points for the resistors. I had one resistor that didn't work initially - it happens.

VERY IMPORTANT: Ensure you are using the JL Fix86's test track for the calibration. JL Audio offers the file as a download. You can't simply copy the file off of the CD. It needs to remain a high-quality source, and you should ensure that sound will play on your system before attempting the calibration process.

Note that, if the JL Audio Fix™ 86 calibration process fails, you have to power down the receiver (key off, and away from the vehicle for about five minutes) until the radio fully resets. You'll know you're successful with the reset if the radio displays the disclaimer screen and boots up as normal. This is due to the fact that once the uConnect system detects a stock speaker isn't there, and the resistor override isn't functioning (for whatever reason), it has to be completely powered down and allowed to reset before uConnect will initiate a new load sensing test. On the plus side, once everything is connected and calibrated, you'll have the cleanest and flattest signal possible from a stock radio. And, you can plug your laptop or phone into the JL Audio FiX™ 86 to tweak the settings and EQ!

As with anything aftermarket, please understand you are taking any install advice provided here into your own hands, and at your own risk. I have to recommend that any power wiring, especially when wiring directly to the battery, be fused at the battery/source. In the case of a short, this blows the fuse instead of creating a new welding source! I also recommend using basic relays for your remote connections, which reduces the risk of feeding power back into your Jeep's electrical system due to a faulty amplifier or component.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: For any jlwranglerforums.com members wanting to venture into upgrading their sound systems, I've arranged a contact that can assist you with purchasing the proper equipment. He'll be happy to advise on gear that fits your needs and budget, and he's agreed to offer discounts to our members if you mention you saw his name here. To get started, contact Travis Grim @ 704-530-2073. He's based near me in the Charlotte, NC area, is a fellow Jeep owner and has approved the sharing of his contact information. All I ask: If you use him as a resource and plan to buy, please buy from him. He's a highly knowledgeable, low pressure manager engaged with a large Charlotte audio/video outfit.

Base System Speaker Wiring

For those who may also need these color codes, the following is what the schematic provides.​
Actual schematic for the Base Radio may be viewed here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---BASE.pdf
Left Front Windshield Grey/Violet (+) and Grey/Yellow (-)​
Left Front Kick​
Right Front Windshield Dark Green/Violet (+) and Dark Green/Yellow (-)​
Right Front Kick​
Left Rear Sound Bar Grey/Green (+) and Grey/Dark Green (-)​
Right Rear Sound Bar Dark Green/Green (+) and Dark Green/Grey (-)​

Update: In addition to the above speaker wiring, an image of the radio harness is attached below, and I've added the wiring colors from the back of the base and premium radios.​
Pinout.PNG
There is no external amplifier in the base model system. The external amp for the premium system is under the steering column (you should see the color coded wires below).​
Speaker wire colors at the radio, with pin number and polarity:​
Base Radio
PIN Wire Speaker/Polarity System
45 DG/GN RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+) BASE RADIO​
46 DG/VT RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (+) BASE RADIO​
47 GY/VT LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (+) BASE RADIO​
48 GY/GN LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+) BASE RADIO​
49 DG/GY RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-) BASE RADIO​
50 DG/YE RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (-) BASE RADIO​
51 GY/YE LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (-) BASE RADIO​
52 GY/DG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-) BASE RADIO​
Premium Radio
Actual schematic for the Premium Radio may be viewed here here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf
45 GY/DB RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+) PREMIUM RADIO​
46 GY RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (+) PREMIUM RADIO​
47 DG RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (+) PREMIUM RADIO​
48 DG/DB LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+) PREMIUM RADIO​
49 GY/OG RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-) PREMIUM RADIO​
50 GY/BN RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (-) PREMIUM RADIO​
51 DG/BN RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (-) PREMIUM RADIO​
52 DG/OG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-) PREMIUM RADIO​
(If you reply to this post - PLEASE do not quote the entire post! It is entirely too long to be repeated over and over. Thx!)

There was little information available (at the time of this original post) regarding audio wiring schematics for the JL. This thread was put together to serve as a single location for us to build upon. I'll update it periodically until this project is finished (FYI, it's now complete!).

Prior Needs:
    • Base System (Solved - See below) - The Speaker Wiring Schematic is now provided to help identify positive/negative polarity
  • Override UConnect load sensing test (UConnect checks for the stock speaker resistance and turns individual outputs off if not "seen." (Solved - See below)
First and foremost, a line level converter process is needed. There are two primary methods to convert the uConnect signal and each is highlighted below (Adding Resistors or Adding a PAC Amp Pro).

When removing the stock speakers, the uConnect system has to be "tricked" into sending its audio signal to each speaker. In short, the Jeep's uConnect system checks for the proper resistance load introduced by our stock speakers.

If uConnect doesn't detect the proper resistance on any particular channel, the system turns that channel's signal off. I'd originally found only one option that worked (see the Resistor approach below). If you're interested in reading more about how the resistor approach works, this is a great article on the topic: Everything is hooked up but no sound is playing, just don't buy the Audio Control AC-LGD device it discusses. I'll elaborate...

I tried the AudioControl AC-LGD device, and it worked... sporadically. Evidently the resistance tolerances for the AC-LGD were too narrow causing it to work sometimes, and not others.

The JL Audio FiX-LSA-4 (a device similar to the AudioControl AC-LGD, but made by JL Audio) didn't work at all with the Jeep's load sensing issue. I spoke with a JL Audio tech, and this seems to be a known issue they'll likely address soon. The reason appears to be related to a difference in the Ohm load our stereo systems require vs. others.

This leads us to the two functional options for overriding the load sensing issue.

Talking with the techs at PAC, and confirming via online references, a 47 OHM, 5 Watt Ceramic Resistor can be soldered to each pair of speaker level input wires feeding a Digital Sound Processor (DSP) such as the JL Audio FiX™ 86 or equivalent. DSP's help to flatten/condition the pre-EQ'd signal sent by the uConnect system.​
I tried this process, and it does work. You can order resistors here, and you'll find that they are very inexpensive. If you go this route, I recommend buying several more than you need, just in case you break a few.​
Each resistor is soldered to the (+) and (-) stock speaker wiring pair that you'll use to feed each line level converter input. If you're running a 4 channel amp, you'll need to purchase 4 resistors.​
Once again, this tricks the uConnect system into thinking the stock speakers are still there, allowing the system to turn each channel on without having the stock speaker attached. A home-made schematic of this resistor setup is included below.​
Resistor.PNG

And here's a photo of the resistors installed on the speaker wire, right before they enter the JL Fix86. Note that these weren't yet soldered and wrapped.​
20180902_155220.jpg

I was hesitant to update the post with this device initially, as I hadn't installed one personally. PAC has now updated their website to indicate the second revision (R2 in the model number) supports the Jeep JL and JT! The catch is it's a bit pricey! MSRP is originally at $349, though it can be found cheaper online. If you go this route, just make sure it's the R2 edition!​
Since the original posting, I have had the opportunity to install and calibrate the PAC device, and it does a good job of flattening the uConnect's signal. While I still recommend using a DSP like the JL Audio FiX™ 86 or equivalent, you can now effectively use the PAC Amp Pro as the sole "LOC" to feed a clean, low-level signal to your amp(s) via RCA Cables.​
PAC.PNG

Option 1 - Resistor Approach: For the speaker level inputs of the line output converter, I tapped into the speaker level outputs directly behind the Base System's radio. Those wires were extended and run through the middle console to the back of the Jeep, to my JL Audio FiX™ 86 where my amps are. Once again, wiring colors are available below.​
Option 2 - PAC Amp Pro approach: Plug the PAC Amp Pro's harness into the back of your stock radio, plug the radio's harness into the PAC Amp Pro, Connect a 12v Remote wire to your front 12V Adapter's positive wire, set your DIP Switches per the manual and then calibrate it. RCA Cables run from the PAC Amp Pro to your amp, or to your DSP and then your amp.​

Premium Radio:

Option 1 - Resistor Approach: For the speaker level inputs of the line output converter, you'll need to tap into the speaker level signals that are coming out of the stock amp, located under the steering column.​
Option 2 - PAC Amp Pro Approach: Same Option 2 for the base radio above, but check the PAC Amp Pro's DIP Switches and set via the supplied instructions.​

Premium Amp Wires.jpg

Premium Amp.jpg

Sub-woofer only install:
If you are simply adding a sub-woofer and plan to keep the stock speakers intact, you can skip the resistor or PAC Amp Pro processes described above. Instead, you'll simply tap your connections into the rear speaker wires housed in the B-pillar, behind the passenger seat at the floor level. The wires are easy to find after removing the plastic cover at the base of the pillar. The soundbar speaker wires are the only twisted pair wires down there, and they match the colors in the chart provided. Note, unless your amp has a line output converter built in (doubtful), you will need to add a line output converter (LOC). The AudioControl LC2i, or comparable device, works fine for a sub-only upgrade.​

Here are several additional details you may find helpful if the above hasn't scared you away yet...

On the Base System, there are four 4-inch speakers and four small tweeters. I ended up upgrading the Soundbar and the Kick Panels to 5.25-inch separates (Separate Woofer and Tweeter - also called "Components"). Now that Metra has introduced their new speaker pods, I can no longer recommend anything other than 6.5's in the kick panels, and here's why...

The Kick Panels:

The newly introduced Metra JP-1014 Speaker Pods, announced and released shortly after SEMA 2019, significantly simplify the kick panel speaker upgrade process. I have updated this post to recommend running 6.5-inch separates up front and 4-inch coax's in the soundbar if you don't want to modify the Soundbar much, or 6.5's if you run the SSV Works adapter. Going larger in the soundbar without the SSV Works adapter is possible, though it will require more cutting than I personally recommend, given the limited sound that can be achieved from the soundbar.

NEW: Installation Tip (Pictures added) - You DO NOT need to remove the entire dash to change out the Kick Panel pods!

To access/remove the speakers in the kick panels, you have to remove the two side dash panels (body clips hold the driver/passenger side on - pry off carefully) to access the screws dedicated to securing the dash's sides.

20200621_110646.jpg

The displayed, partially removed screws below are the only screws that must come out from under these panels, except there is one hidden screw recessed in the side of each Speaker Pod. The recessed screw is accessible within one of those larger silver "holes," and you can access it with a short Phillips head screwdriver. Once again, this applies to both the passenger and driver's side panels.

20200621_110353.jpg

Then, you'll need to remove the plastic panel under the steering column (body clips - pull the panel directly towards the driver's seat).

20200621_110757.jpg

On the passenger side, remove the glove box (depress the latch at the top-inside of the glove box to pull it down and outward). Then, remove the three black dash screws under the area where the glove box was. Only the black 7mm screws need to be removed.

20200411_133531.jpg

On the driver's side, each of the black 7mm screws visible here must be removed.

20200621_105936.jpg

Oh, and don't forget to remove this screw, too. It's tucked in just to the right of the Headlight/Dimmer pod, and removing it will give you much more space when rotating the driver's side Pod out.

20200621_105729.jpg

As mentioned, each of the Kick Panel speakers have a hidden screw recessed in the side dash panel area, as well as a screw at the top and bottom of the enclosure itself. Once all 3 of each speaker enclosure's screws are removed, you may carefully pull the bottom section of the dash away from it's mounts to access the Pods. Doing so allows you to rotate the speaker enclosures out. Be careful that you don't pull the dash so far out that you crease/pinch the dash covers.

The passenger side Kick Panel Speaker Pod rotates out easily, so there's no additional feedback provided for it. Simply unplug the speaker wire plug on the back, and you're done here!

After removing the side dash panel, the panel under the steering wheel and all of the screws previously shown, pop off the cover for the Headlight knob and Dimmer wheels using a pry tool.

20200621_101343.jpg

Next, from behind the dash, use your fingers to compress the silver tabs on the Headlight Knob/Dimmer plug. This will allow the assembly to easily pop out and provide access to the top Kick Panel Speaker Pod's mounting screw. Two clips on the top, and two clips on the bottom of the Headlight/Dimmer plug allow it to easily be pulled out, and there's no need to disconnect the wires.

20200621_101407.jpg

Here's the screw location for the top of the Driver's side Pod. Using a magnetic screwdriver will help in removing and re-installing this screw, as it's recessed a bit behind the Headlight/Dimmer pod. You can also use tape to temporarily hold the screw onto the screwdriver when re-installing.

20200621_101519.jpg

Once the side, top and bottom pod screws are removed, there's another trick to share regarding the removal of the driver's side Pod.

To do so, pull the dash section's you've loosened outward with your right hand, being careful not to crease any parts of the dash by bending it. Run your left hand up the inside of the dash to guide the top of the Pod. Then, with your right hand on the bottom of the Pod, lift up on the Pod, pushing it up into the dash as far as it will go, then, using your right hand, pull the bottom of the Pod towards you. It will pop over the metal dash frame that's under it, and you'll be able to rotate it out after that. You may need to rock the bottom of the Pod back and forth a few times while lifting up on it.

There's a black box connected to the back of the driver's side speaker with three screws. It's called a Gateway, and it's actually one of the things that makes the driver's side Pod so difficult to remove. You'll need to unplug both of its modular plugs (unless you're already running a Tazer JL) before removing the driver's side Pod.

Important: If you re-install your Metra Pods and your stereo doesn't turn on, it's likely because you didn't plug the Gateway's modular plugs back in. (This is the most requested question I receive!) The Gateway is the device in the bottom left of the following picture, and the driver's side Metra Pod has a place for this to be mounted on the back.

There's also a rather large hole on the back of the Metra Pod. The stock Mopar pods you removed have rubber plugs that you'll want to transfer. Just be sure to run your speaker wires through these rubber plugs before adding wire connectors and before trying to re-install the Pods.

20200621_103322.jpg

20200621_103607.jpg

Pictured below is one of the new Metra pods before the speaker's installed and another picture before the finished Pod is ready to be installed.

Note that I'm running 5.25-inch separates, yet these Pods are made for 6.5's. By using the speaker manufacturer's (Audison in this case) provided housing, the housing sits right over the 6.5-inch holes. Also, on the passenger side pod, there will still be a few screw holes open. Make sure you seal each unused hole with silicone, and/or a small screw, or it could end up "whistling."

While not shown, I did add sound deadening material inside the box, polyfil inside the box and also cut a gasket from the sound deadening material that sits between the speaker ring and the Metra Pod. The gasket simply seals out any air from the remaining, unused screw holes under the speaker.

20200621_103005.jpg

20200621_104453.jpg

To re-install everything, simply reverse the order above, ensuring all screws, clips and plugs go back nice and easy. There's no need to force anything.

When re-installing the driver's side Pod, you'll benefit by viewing the top bracket through the Headlight/Dimmer portal, ensuring it's at the location shown below before pushing the Pod up as far as it will go. Once you verify it's in the right spot, begin wedging the bottom of the Pod inward towards the front of the car. If you don't have the top section in the right spot, you'll struggle with pushing the Pod upward enough for the bottom and Gateway to clear the metal frame bracket. It really shouldn't require much force.

20200621_105046.jpg

The Soundbar:

If you do choose to upgrade to larger speakers in the soundbar, modifying the soundbar to accommodate larger speakers is fairly straight-forward. It takes some time/skill with a Dremel tool to enlarge the speaker cavities. You can fit a decent pair of mid-range coaxial speakers up there, or you could choose speaker separates. Each of the rear channels in the sound bar has a mid-range speaker and a separate tweeter already, so separates are possible, you'd just have to wire them on your own. Meaning, the stock mid-range woofer and tweeter on each channel share the same two wires (they aren't discreet). For separates, you would use the wire going into the mid-range woofer to connect to the separates' crossover, then run a new wire from the crossover to the new woofer and new tweeter.

Note, I rate upgrading the Soundbar speakers as "beginner" level install if you stay with 4-inch speakers, and as an "intermediate" level install if you up-size your speakers to 5.25-inch or larger.

Side note: All of the speakers in this system come factory installed in ported enclosures. That's how these little stock speakers sound slightly better than they should.​

I have deleted all "concerning" commentary previously shared regarding upgrading the kick panels now that the Metra pods are available. With the Metra pods, we are now presented with such a great option that I can't recommend anything other than using them with 6.5-inch separates. Advice: Invest the majority of your sound system money in the front soundstage, and use the soundbar speakers as nothing else but "fill" speakers.

If, after that advice, you still choose the Resistor route and use the JL Audio Fix™ 86, there is a calibration process necessary that requires a little patience. When calibrating the device, you must be 100% successful in "tricking" all four channels of the uConnect system into turning themselves on. If calibration doesn't work, meaning all channels didn't come on and all 4 lights on the JL Audio Fix™ 86 aren't green during the calibration, you should check your wire connections and possibly your solder points for the resistors. I had one resistor that didn't work initially - it happens.

VERY IMPORTANT: Ensure you are using the JL Fix86's test track for the calibration. JL Audio offers the file as a download. You can't simply copy the file off of the CD. It needs to remain a high-quality source, and you should ensure that sound will play on your system before attempting the calibration process.

Note that, if the JL Audio Fix™ 86 calibration process fails, you have to power down the receiver (key off, and away from the vehicle for about five minutes) until the radio fully resets. You'll know you're successful with the reset if the radio displays the disclaimer screen and boots up as normal. This is due to the fact that once the uConnect system detects a stock speaker isn't there, and the resistor override isn't functioning (for whatever reason), it has to be completely powered down and allowed to reset before uConnect will initiate a new load sensing test. On the plus side, once everything is connected and calibrated, you'll have the cleanest and flattest signal possible from a stock radio. And, you can plug your laptop or phone into the JL Audio FiX™ 86 to tweak the settings and EQ!

As with anything aftermarket, please understand you are taking any install advice provided here into your own hands, and at your own risk. I have to recommend that any power wiring, especially when wiring directly to the battery, be fused at the battery/source. In the case of a short, this blows the fuse instead of creating a new welding source! I also recommend using basic relays for your remote connections, which reduces the risk of feeding power back into your Jeep's electrical system due to a faulty amplifier or component.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: For any jlwranglerforums.com members wanting to venture into upgrading their sound systems, I've arranged a contact that can assist you with purchasing the proper equipment. He'll be happy to advise on gear that fits your needs and budget, and he's agreed to offer discounts to our members if you mention you saw his name here. To get started, contact Travis Grim @ 704-530-2073. He's based near me in the Charlotte, NC area, is a fellow Jeep owner and has approved the sharing of his contact information. All I ask: If you use him as a resource and plan to buy, please buy from him. He's a highly knowledgeable, low pressure manager engaged with a large Charlotte audio/video outfit.

For those who may also need these color codes, the following is what the schematic provides.​
Actual schematic for the Base Radio may be viewed here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---BASE.pdf
Left Front Kick​
Right Front Kick​

Update: In addition to the above speaker wiring, an image of the radio harness is attached below, and I've added the wiring colors from the back of the base and premium radios.​
Pinout.PNG
There is no external amplifier in the base model system. The external amp for the premium system is under the steering column (you should see the color coded wires below).​
Base Radio
Premium Radio
Actual schematic for the Premium Radio may be viewed here here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf
I

Prior Needs:

Resistor.PNG

20180902_155220.jpg

PAC.PNG

Premium Radio:

Premium Amp Wires.jpg

Premium Amp.jpg

Sub-woofer only install:

The Kick Panels:

20200621_110646.jpg

20200621_110353.jpg

20200621_110757.jpg

20200411_133531.jpg

20200621_105936.jpg

20200621_105729.jpg

20200621_101343.jpg

20200621_101407.jpg

20200621_101519.jpg

20200621_103322.jpg

20200621_103607.jpg

20200621_103005.jpg

20200621_104453.jpg

20200621_105046.jpg

The Soundbar:

Thanks,

Mike

Left Front Kick​
Right Front Kick​

Pinout.PNG
Base Radio
Premium Radio
This is my first post in a forum so if I have done something wrong please let me know. I have been on this forum looking just never posted. I thought I would share some experience so I might help others. My JLUR has the 7" screen with no amp. I have been running an amp tapped into the rear channels at the sound bar for over a year. All I did was tap the wires at the plug going into the sound bar and into the high level input of my amp. Worked fine. Recently bought a dsr1 with the t connector harness and a rockford 4 channel amp. After install I had no sound. Found a single post that I can't find now to give credit but putting the factory radio into" amp mode" is necessary to get output and I think this would bypass the need for resisters also. You turn the ignition on then pull the park brake twice. The horn will honk. Then turn on the left turn signal and the horn will honk again signaling " amp mode". Right turn will go to " no amp mode" . Once you turn off the signal it will honk twice signaling it worked. I had to cycle the ignition twice before it started playing.
Now on the dsr1 I was having Bluetooth connection problems but I disconnected from u connect and it works great now! Hope this helps somebody!

Sponsored

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man

I went through this thread at least twice, I am actually doing it now again and I am still lost :angry: I added the knee panal speakers Focal ICU 100 using the provided Harness and the Focal ES 100 using the crossovers provided in the soundbar taping into the main speaker line in to the crossovers. And a total disappointment very low sound. So I contacted Crutchfield to try to figure it out I was told that my factory Amp is not strong enough, 2 ohm versus 4 ohm, something like that. It sounds like they might be directing me wrong. Help, is it something that I can do or is it not possible with the factory 8.4. I see a lot of people changing their speakers, I don't see why it didn't not work. Do I have to change them to something else. This is kind of a basic swap I thought I am not doing anything like what some of you guys are doing. Please someone can direct me or give advice. :please: if need I can try to elaborate.

20201004_210040.jpg

20201003_221531.jpg

20201003_221418.jpg

20201004_194713.jpg

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Hey long time reader, first time writer... my goal is to upgrade all the speakers (speakers only mind you) in my 2018 JL Moab w/ uConnect 8.4 Alpine, I have a blown speaker Left Knee Panel that desperately needs replacing, and while I was at it I was going to replace the rest of the speakers in the car.
I went with Infinity 3.5 coax in the dash (easy) , infinity 6.5 in Knee panels (Prepped and installing tomorrow AM), and Match MS42S 4" separates (woofer/tweeter x-over) in the soundbar and I think I have made a horrible mistake in wiring this up. the Match Separates is rated at 4 ohms.
I pulled out the soundbar (that sucked), I figured out that the light needs to come out before the panel that hides the two screws... yadda yadda,
I got it out and wired up the driver side not using the tweeter speaker wires (I used BoomMat and polyfill) and there is hardly any sound coming from the driver's side, could this be because of i am not using the 3.5 factory tweeter speaker wire?
If this is the case, how do I resolve the problem

My thoughts on troubleshooting this are as follows: I inadvertently disconnected the 3.5 speaker causing uConnect to shut down that channel.

Thoughts on this dilemma from reading this Forum
1) use a 47 Ohm 5w resistor on the 3.5 tweeter wires faking the Alpine 8.4 amp that there is a speaker plugged in?
2) wire the Woofer and Tweeter wires together? This would again possibly Fake the Alpine Uconnect system into thinking there is still a speaker there?
3) Move the tweeter and plug the 3.5 tweeters back in? (not a fan of this)
4) Say f-it and put the stock crap back in, call it good with the 6.5s & 3.5's up front.

Thoughts, suggestions...
ThatPeteGuy
I did almost the same as you and getting the same results. It was mentioned by Sting_NC_USA :like: great guy that the wiaring in the soundbar is all running off 2 wires, so I am guessing it should have been ok to not have to use the tweeter line. I have mine gone through the crossovers with feed from the main speakers in the SB. I'm getting very low volume, when I contacted Crutchfield they said that my new speakers need a stranger Amp.

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I went through this thread at least twice, I am actually doing it now again and I am still lost :angry: I added the knee panal speakers Focal ICU 100 using the provided Harness and the Focal ES 100 using the crossovers provided in the soundbar taping into the main speaker line in to the crossovers. And a total disappointment very low sound. So I contacted Crutchfield to try to figure it out I was told that my factory Amp is not strong enough, 2 ohm versus 4 ohm, something like that. It sounds like they might be directing me wrong. Help, is it something that I can do or is it not possible with the factory 8.4. I see a lot of people changing their speakers, I don't see why it didn't not work. Do I have to change them to something else. This is kind of a basic swap I thought I am not doing anything like what some of you guys are doing. Please someone can direct me or give advice. :please: if need I can try to elaborate.
If you lower resistance you will likely have less power. Best to match the impendance of the amplifier.

Do you have the old speakers to measure? Did you see any capacitors or resistors in the line?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice gear, and nice work! With nice gear, comes the need for power. Folks who are successful at doing nothing but a speaker swap are using very inexpensive, yet efficient speakers. That simply means they're using speakers that require very little power. These speakers are of higher end variety, and have specific power requirements in order to function. All you have to do is look at the magnets on the back of the Focal speakers and compare them to the stock speakers to get a feel for how much more substantial they really are.

You absolutely will need an amplifier with those speakers, and if you're read the post (a few times!?) then you'll see that you'll also need an advanced LOC like the JL Fix86, PAC Amp Pro or something comparable. With those speakers, your system will sound amazing. Unfortunately, it will barely play until you upgrade to a decent LOC and amp.

I've posted in a few spots that the stock amp just doesn't have what it takes to push nice speakers. It may be time to bite the bullet. If not new, check out the used stuff, but consider giving Travis a call (last section of post one). He's helped tons of folks from here, and he'll take care of you if you mention me and this post.

Finally, I'm assuming that you're starting with the base system (non-Alpine). If that's the case, the speaker wires in the soundbar that feed the stock tweeter and mid-range speakers are simply split. The Alpine system does provide a discrete channel to each speaker, which also means they're crossed-over to match their respective speaker's needs (Tweeter vs. Mid-range Woofer).

Feel free to reach out with any questions, and we'll do our best to help.

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
If you lower resistance you will likely have less power. Best to match the impendance of the amplifier.

Do you have the old speakers to measure? Did you see any capacitors or resistors in the line?
Given that I don't know what I am looking for but th

does that lower the power of the speakers

I did not notice any, how do you measure the old speakers
Sponsored