Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control?

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
mde8965

as everything its personal opinion. I agree that when you dont pay attention and drive to closely to react the system could help in this situation.

As for ACC for me others drivers would drive in between me and the car i follow as for safe ACC distance and slow down making my car slow down then you have to over take them and you turn on ACC the car moves back for safe distance and someone will enter from on ramp and i will overtake again. What i found even with ACC on i always found i overtook control by accelerating when system wanted to brake or i would over pass the people. Only when I'm 8 hours on a road then i dont care at all and just use the ACC. but for each there own i would not use this when i have to get somewhere on time. this is just me others are different
Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
I like the adaptive cruise control however you need to pay attention when using it as it is easy to find yourself going from 65 to 55 and not noticing it.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I like the adaptive cruise control however you need to pay attention when using it as it is easy to find yourself going from 65 to 55 and not noticing it.
exactly what i found happening to me

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I assume there is still room to mount the gizmos to the front roof bar, right in front of the rearview mirror.

Adaptive Cruise Control is standard on a $18k base Corolla. No excuse to not offer it on a $50k Wrangler.
You buy a Jeep Wrangler for what it is not what it isn’t. FCA most likely won’t lose any Wrangler sales over the lack of these features. If adaptive cruse control is enough of a priority for you, that suggests highway driving and that’s not the design intention or demographic of the Wrangler. The $18K Toyota would be a better highway car, because that’s what it’s designed for, but it would suck off-road.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
You buy a Jeep Wrangler for what it is not what it isn’t. FCA most likely won’t lose any Wrangler sales over the lack of these features. If adaptive cruse control is enough of a priority for you, that suggests highway driving and that’s not the design intention or demographic of the Wrangler. The $18K Toyota would be a better highway car, because that’s what it’s designed for, but it would suck off-road.
ACC (and especially the associated autonomous braking feature) keep you from rear-ending idiots that randomly brake on the highway. You know what's terrible at off-roading? A totaled Wrangler at the scrap yard.

And don't say "just pay attention"; I usually have two kids in the car; every parent is a 'distracted driver'. And no one is 100% attentive every millisecond they are driving anyway; I don't rely on autonomous braking, it's just an additional fail-safe.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Then don’t buy the Wrangler, it doesn’t have this feature, it’s still a free country. I’ve never had a car with ACC and in 45 years of driving never rear ended a car, I guess a careful driver can get by without ACC. Why don’t all cars have level 4 autonomous driving capability as standard, the technology exists today? Same logic.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Then don’t buy the Wrangler, it doesn’t have this feature, it’s still a free country. I’ve never had a car with ACC and in 45 years of driving never rear ended a car, I guess a careful driver can get by without ACC. Why don’t all cars have level 4 autonomous driving capability as standard, the technology exists today? Same logic.
I'd put the odds at least 50% that ACC is part of the safety group for 2019. The package for 2018 is very light on features for the price, implying that they intended to add more features to the package but had supplier issues or something. There is also that picture of the JL mule with some very ACC-looking sensors next to the rearview mirror in post #2.

mde8965

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; 2016 BMW X3
mde8965

as everything its personal opinion. I agree that when you dont pay attention and drive to closely to react the system could help in this situation.

As for ACC for me others drivers would drive in between me and the car i follow as for safe ACC distance and slow down making my car slow down then you have to over take them and you turn on ACC the car moves back for safe distance and someone will enter from on ramp and i will overtake again. What i found even with ACC on i always found i overtook control by accelerating when system wanted to brake or i would over pass the people. Only when I'm 8 hours on a road then i dont care at all and just use the ACC. but for each there own i would not use this when i have to get somewhere on time. this is just me others are different
Agree with what you say as this has happened to me too. At least with my Challenger you have the option of using regular cruise orACC. I find ACC nice for long road trips not in the city when I’m in no particular hurry. Put it this way I enjoy the feature but probably would not pay Much for for the option alone. On my Challenger it was bundled with rain sense wipers, auto high beams and something else for $1200.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I'd put the odds at least 50% that ACC is part of the safety group for 2019. The package for 2018 is very light on features for the price, implying that they intended to add more features to the package but had supplier issues or something. There is also that picture of the JL mule with some very ACC-looking sensors next to the rearview mirror in post #2.
you realize that 50% is like saying yes and no LOL.... I would say 90% that my personal opinion is that Wrangler will not have this open for 2019 maybe for the full electric in 2020 as this will already be not a off road Wrangler, good luck with dead batteries as a standard indication of MPG will not work, water crossings, shocks to solid components, and punctured battery packs. The full electric wrangler is a mall crawler.

Electric is 100% of torque at 0 RPM, but not suitable for rock crawling or heavy off roading

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
ACC (and especially the associated autonomous braking feature) keep you from rear-ending idiots that randomly brake on the highway. You know what's terrible at off-roading? A totaled Wrangler at the scrap yard.

And don't say "just pay attention"; I usually have two kids in the car; every parent is a 'distracted driver'. And no one is 100% attentive every millisecond they are driving anyway; I don't rely on autonomous braking, it's just an additional fail-safe.
Also if you are distracted then don't drive or bring a person to watch the kids, Cars were safely used before ACC. dont use this technology as an excuse to not pay attention to the road, use your phone, read a email or play with the kids

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Cars were safely used before ACC.
30k+/year people have died on American roads every year since WW2; I'd hardly say that was "safe". Deaths have been declining thanks to active and passive safety features, including the aforementioned autonomous braking.

Lots of those 30k+ people/year probably thought they were superhumans incapable of being involved in an accident, too. Even if you are 100% attentive all the time, that still doesn't help when the other idiots on the road do dumb things. Computers react much faster than humans; the average human takes at least 0.5s to recognize an impending collision and then brake, and even an F1 driver on amphetamines would be no better than 0.3s. Computers can do it in milliseconds.

1920px-US_traffic_deaths_per_VMT%2C_VMT%2C_per_capita%2C_and_total_annual_deaths.png

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I've had it with all these posts defending the lack of some features and saying "then don't buy it" or "we don't buy wranglers because they have that feature bla bla bla"... Jeep obviously is expanding it's target market for the Wrangler, and no one can deny that. The fact that they are adding that many creature comfort although it might piss off some diehard fans, clearly states that they want a bigger market. I know other mall crawlers (or whatever everyone calls them) don't have folding windshields and removable hardtops; however, the majority of Sahara buyers will never lower their windshield ever. They're buying it for the looks. So Jeep know that they need to up their game. This is not a situation where a feature is missing because they don't want to add it, this is planned obsolescence, they did not want to add it now...

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
30k+/year people have died on American roads every year since WW2; I'd hardly say that was "safe". Deaths have been declining thanks to active and passive safety features, including the aforementioned autonomous braking.

Lots of those 30k+ people/year probably thought they were superhumans incapable of being involved in an accident, too. Even if you are 100% attentive all the time, that still doesn't help when the other idiots on the road do dumb things. Computers react much faster than humans; the average human takes at least 0.5s to recognize an impending collision and then brake, and even an F1 driver on amphetamines would be no better than 0.3s. Computers can do it in milliseconds.

1920px-US_traffic_deaths_per_VMT%2C_VMT%2C_per_capita%2C_and_total_annual_deaths.png
Air bags, ABS, Seat belt, driving training, and better cars design are linked to declining death numbers not ACC type technology that only in the few resent years was implemented on price reasonable vehicles and still probably equipped on 1-2% of all cars on the street.

sorry keep eating the marketing BS sandwich.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I've had it with all these posts defending the lack of some features and saying "then don't buy it" or "we don't buy wranglers because they have that feature bla bla bla"... Jeep obviously is expanding it's target market for the Wrangler, and no one can deny that. The fact that they are adding that many creature comfort although it might piss off some diehard fans, clearly states that they want a bigger market. I know other mall crawlers (or whatever everyone calls them) don't have folding windshields and removable hardtops; however, the majority of Sahara buyers will never lower their windshield ever. They're buying it for the looks. So Jeep know that they need to up their game. This is not a situation where a feature is missing because they don't want to add it, this is planned obsolescence, they did not want to add it now...

Sorry if you missed the original post, my question is do people know what they are asking for other then what the marketing commercial showed them on super bowl.

" Wow i don't need to pay attention and can send out my tweets and the car technology will protect me."

check out the people that believed the safety system will save them.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
" Wow i don't need to pay attention and can send out my tweets and the car technology will protect me."
No one on this thread is claiming they want autonomous braking/ACC so they can be inattentive, so stop making that straw man argument.

An IIHS study found that vehicles with autonomous braking are involved in 40% fewer rear end collisions:
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ing-reduces-rear-end-crashes-iihs-study-finds

Why would you NOT want a feature that makes you 40% less likely to be in the most deadly type of accident? And did you make the same argument against ABS 30 years ago? "ABS is so people can drink their Crystal Pepsi and rely on the car technology to keep their brakes from locking up".
Sponsored