First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I live and work in Miami and anyone who has ever driven here knows the traffic here in insane (I've driven in DC, Atlanta and LA as well so I know the traffic sucks there as well!). That said, I frequently use the adaptive cruise control (ACC), especially while in stop-and-go traffic (it will bring you to a complete stop and will restart moving as long as you aren't stopped for more than a few seconds). My wife was driving behind me this past weekend and called me on my phone to ask me if I was using the ACC while we were in traffic and I told her yes. She then told me she probably wouldn't recommend doing it any more as when I would slow down and brake the brake lights would not come on. Only when I would physically press on the brake pedal would the brake lights actually come on. My question to the folks here is should the brake lights come on while the Jeep is slowing down or stopping with the ACC? Up until this weekend I always assumed they did. Is there something wrong with my system or is this working as designed?
Sponsored

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Brake lights wont come on when merely slowing down, but they should when ACC actually activates the brakes. Same as they function when ACC is not being used. Only when brake is activated do they come on.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Brake lights wont come on when merely slowing down, but they should when ACC actually activates the brakes. Same as they function when ACC is not being used. Only when brake is activated do they come on.
The slowing down makes sense since I am assuming ACC will be braking with the engine. There are time when it definitely feels like the brakes are being applied (especially when coming to a full stop) and my wife driving behind me said the lights never came on once. The only time they did is when I physically pressed the brake pedal down, which is concerning to me.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I've used ACC with other vehicles (Mazda and Subaru) and both of those systems 100% activate the brake lights when using the system. You definitely need to get your Jeep checked out because you will get rear-ended if your brake lights aren't activating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just received this response from Jeep Cares (I really appreciate the prompt response from the FCA team):

"Thank you for contacting Jeep Customer Care.

The Adaptive Cruise Control System adjusts speed slowly and gradually, (as if you are stepping off the gas). In a sense, the engine is downshifting. So is this respect, when the brake switch is not being activated (which is only achieved by applying the brake pedal), the brake lights will not come on.

The Forward Collision System is different, however. When this system engages, the brakes are electronically applied and therefore, the brake lights will illuminate.

Thank you,

J. Sanders
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)
Mopar Headquarters"

So, according to this e-mail, at NO TIME should the ACC trip the brake lights since it only slows the vehicle down and doesn't use the brakes at all. If any of the Jeep Cares folks are here please confirm my understanding (or any of my fellow Jeepers for that matter).

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
This is intended for all those who shirk their responsibilities by handing it off to a new and unproven technology. I say it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to operate a motor vehicle. Don't be a drag on the rest of society by copping out with the "It's not my fault the technology failed" excuse. Forget about all that BS technology and do your job behind the wheel.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Unproven is the qualifying word. I think there is potential here for much safer driving once safe driving technology is proven.

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
That is exactly what happens when the human driver is in control. In traffic, as the car in front of you speeds up or slows down, you adjust throttle only most of the time to maintain safe distance. Exactly like ACC. No need for brake lights. When car in front abruptly slows, or stops, and you don't see it in time to simply ease off of the throttle, then ACC will apply brakes, complete with brake lights. The computer will likely react faster than the human. I have seen it in action, and even though I was moving my foot towards the brake, the computer beat me to it. May or may not have prevented collision, but it certainly helped. Anything that reduces the liklihood of a collision is a good thing to me.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I live and work in Miami and anyone who has ever driven here knows the traffic here in insane (I've driven in DC, Atlanta and LA as well so I know the traffic sucks there as well!). That said, I frequently use the adaptive cruise control (ACC), especially while in stop-and-go traffic (it will bring you to a complete stop and will restart moving as long as you aren't stopped for more than a few seconds). My wife was driving behind me this past weekend and called me on my phone to ask me if I was using the ACC while we were in traffic and I told her yes. She then told me she probably wouldn't recommend doing it any more as when I would slow down and brake the brake lights would not come on. Only when I would physically press on the brake pedal would the brake lights actually come on. My question to the folks here is should the brake lights come on while the Jeep is slowing down or stopping with the ACC? Up until this weekend I always assumed they did. Is there something wrong with my system or is this working as designed?
No, your Jeep is not a self driving Tesla. ACC was not designed for that type of traffic.

However, the taillights SHOULD come on - Jeep def needs to address this. Regardless of how the Jeep mechanically slows down, the brake lights should illuminate to signify the vehicle is slowing down. No brainers if you ask me.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This seems simple;
If engine braking, then no brake lights
If brakes active, then brake lights

You know, like what happens when you drive and what every driver on the road is expecting.

OP
OP
jdegrave

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, your Jeep is not a self driving Tesla. ACC was not designed for that type of traffic.

However, the taillights SHOULD come on - Jeep def needs to address this. Regardless of how the Jeep mechanically slows down, the brake lights should illuminate to signify the vehicle is slowing down. No brainers if you ask me.
Never said the Jeep was self driving, nor do I expect it to be s

I think you missed the point of the question. I've had other vehicles with ACC and the brake lights illuminate when the vehicle is slowed by the system. This one does not. I never said this was a self driving Tesla nor do I expect it to act like one so I'm not sure where you are going with your comment.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Never said the Jeep was self driving, nor do I expect it to be s

I think you missed the point of the question. I've had other vehicles with ACC and the brake lights illuminate when the vehicle is slowed by the system. This one does not. I never said this was a self driving Tesla nor do I expect it to act like one so I'm not sure where you are going with your comment.
Oh

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
This seems simple;
If engine braking, then no brake lights
If brakes active, then brake lights

You know, like what happens when you drive and what every driver on the road is expecting.
This

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Full disclosure I don’t have ACC and have never driven a vehicle with ACC. At least not with ACC on. With that said I don’t know why the brake lights would go on if the brakes aren’t being used? I guess it’s weird they wouldn’t if that’s what’s standard for ACC across brands but I disagree with it if that’s the case.

The number one reason there’s traffic is because of people tapdancing on their brakes needlessly.. Brakes should be used when coming to a stop or slowing down significantly like a turn. No offense but if your wife can’t tell the vehicle in front of her is slowing down without using the brakes she’s following too close.
Sponsored