Accident repair

ducatijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
Hello, recently my wife got in an accident with her JLU Wrangler, we had a Warn elite fullsize steel bumper and Warn Zeon winch.

The bumper got tilted back and pushed the winch into the grille which slightly bowed the ac condenser. That's about all I can see visually.

Anyone know of the condenser is hard to replace? I can swap the grille and bumper myself no problem, other than the frame rails are probably bent.

Not sure how I should start with this. When I file a claim I can drop it off at a shop for repairs but if that's all it is i'd rather take the check and fix it myself.

After the shop identifies everything that's broken can I then take it hope and fix it and pay them for their time? Not sure how this goes.

Thanks!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Well...here's how it goes.

Your insurance carrier will tell you about their direct repair program (DRP), where you can take your vehicle to one of their pre-approved shops; however, you can take your vehicle to any shop you want.

The shop will prepare an estimate of the repairs based on what they can document.

112% of the time, there is additional damage not addressed on the estimate, because it is not a final, it is an estimate. So, you take the bumper off, the grille off, the transmission cooler (because you thought it was an a/c condenser), then you find out the frame rail ends are bent, and only then can you determine if you need set up and measure and a little touch up paint, or you need an actual "pull" to straighten the frame. Then you realize the fender to hood to door lines/gaps aren't straight and you figure out if it's the fender or the hood, to realize there is cracked paint along the lower edge of the hood, indicating there really was some impact higher up, or that there was a panel that flexed and it needs to be .5 hour of labor and sanded, primed and painted...or the frame is actually bent.

My point is the estimate is only an estimate based on what you can see. You'll get paid based on the estimate, or documented damage. It's better to let the body shop get into the repair, document the additional (supplemental) damage and deal with the insurance company. You can, but I'll bet your time is more valuable.

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Supreme Leader of IT
Let the pros deal with it. If you had a full steel bumper and it was pushed into the grill something gave.
Sorry to say this, but if you are asking, you don't have the knowledge to fix everything that could be wrong. As the previous poster said, there can be other issues that you can't see. You're going to be pissed when you go to replace the grill and find out your "ac condenser" leaked and now your transmission is toast and insurance says, you took the cash, not our problem.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I have the same bumper. It is very stout and well attached, it must have been a substantial impact to do that much damage. Any chance you can post a pic or two? Thanks.

2timing

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
The condenser is part of the cooling module assembly. You remove the radiator fans and condenser as an assembly Swap out the condenser and reinstall. You'll need a yf1334 Freon Machine (about $7000) To evac and recharge the ac system Then vacuum bleed the air from the cooling system to refill the radiator. With the right tools and some skill yes you can replace it. Honestly better left to a shop with the right equipment.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Body shops always charging for evac on an already open system...uh, not this time @2timing , haha!

OP
OP

ducatijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
The condenser is part of the cooling module assembly. You remove the radiator fans and condenser as an assembly Swap out the condenser and reinstall. You'll need a yf1334 Freon Machine (about $7000) To evac and recharge the ac system Then vacuum bleed the air from the cooling system to refill the radiator. With the right tools and some skill yes you can replace it. Honestly better left to a shop with the right equipment.
I like it "hey it's not happening and this is why"

Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored