Plastic bumper repair

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
So a friend of mine accidentally hit my Jeep in the parking lot at work. The damage isn’t bad. Just a little on the fender and the plastic bumper has a small ripple. I was thinking of using body filler to clean up the ripple and spraying the bumper with raptor liner and possibly doing the same thing with the fenders if I can’t find replacements. I don’t want to hit him over the head with repairs if I don’t have to it was just an accident. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what filler to use or if it seems like a bad plan. Sadly I don’t have jeep friends so my only source of info and pull off parts is the forum.

7B43FB8F-0254-466D-9767-C109391D5EFA.jpeg

07DF516E-F300-463C-BB18-A6FCDD2803C5.jpeg

A0ED40DC-B816-4018-A4CC-51165B6E2C07.jpeg
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So a friend of mine accidentally hit my Jeep in the parking lot at work. The damage isn’t bad. Just a little on the fender and the plastic bumper has a small ripple. I was thinking of using body filler to clean up the ripple and spraying the bumper with raptor liner and possibly doing the same thing with the fenders if I can’t find replacements. I don’t want to hit him over the head with repairs if I don’t have to it was just an accident. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what filler to use or if it seems like a bad plan. Sadly I don’t have jeep friends so my only source of info and pull off parts is the forum.

7B43FB8F-0254-466D-9767-C109391D5EFA.jpeg

07DF516E-F300-463C-BB18-A6FCDD2803C5.jpeg

A0ED40DC-B816-4018-A4CC-51165B6E2C07.jpeg
It is not worth repairing imo. If you were in California I would give you my old sport plastic bumper for free. The damage is so barely noticeable I wouldn't even worry about it. But if it bothers you, check the member marketplace on this forums people give them for free or very cheap. Also check facebook marketplace.

You can always buy a nice metal bumper too and upgrade.

Check this out. $50. looks pretty good:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bumper-jl-jlu.98718/

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do not use a bondo/ body filler product on plastic. It does not expand and contract at the same rate from temperature changes and has zero flex like the plastic has. It will definitely fail in time. Definitely post here if anyone has the parts close to your location. We all have piles of takeoffs looking for a good home.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Good excuse to do a front fender chop and install AAL or Quake slimline turn signals (and maybe upgrade to a take-off Rubicon steel bumper or something aftermarket).

Just an idea!

OP
OP
Flamingsword

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
It is not worth repairing imo. If you were in California I would give you my old sport plastic bumper for free. The damage is so barely noticeable I wouldn't even worry about it. But if it bothers you, check the member marketplace on this forums people give them for free or very cheap. Also check facebook marketplace.

You can always buy a nice metal bumper too and upgrade.

Check this out. $50. looks pretty good:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bumper-jl-jlu.98718/
Yeah it does bother me and I would love to upgrade bumpers. It’s definitely on my list of upgrades I want to do but money is tight and can’t afford it right now.

I did message that guy about the bumper hopefully he still has it.

Thank you

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Someone on here may be willing to give you both for a case of beer.

OP
OP
Flamingsword

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
Do not use a bondo/ body filler product on plastic. It does not expand and contract at the same rate from temperature changes and has zero flex like the plastic has. It will definitely fail in time. Definitely post here if anyone has the parts close to your location. We all have piles of takeoffs looking for a good home.
Yeah I know bondo won’t work I was hoping someone made something that would work with it so I could get a cheap fix. I will definitely keep an eye out if anyone posts and takeoffs.

OP
OP
Flamingsword

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
Good excuse to do a front fender chop and install AAL or Quake slimline turn signals (and maybe upgrade to a take-off Rubicon steel bumper or something aftermarket).

Just an idea!
I totally looked into that and would love to if money was right. I’m sure that will happen on the future if I don’t get a fix figured out.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Where in NC?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flamingsword

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
Someone on here may be willing to give you both for a case of beer.
I would be ecstatic if someone had some takeoffs they would part with. It would save so much headache. Sadly since it was a friend I’m trying to find the cheapest route to get it right it was just an accident. I have messaged one person about a takeoff bumper they are selling an am awaiting a reply. I also had someone that has fenders but they are pretty far away so I will see how that works out.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
If the plan really is to upgrade someday, my vote would be that its not worth fixing.

If you're like some people and it hurts to look at, lol, then take-offs are the best bet. Here's hoping that someone on these forums can help you out for the right price!

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Check your fb marketplace and local jeep groups. I’ve seen these posted up for free often.
Sponsored