Sponsored

A quick question about gasoline smell.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A somewhat sidetracked quick anecdote.

The engine light went on in my Wrangler. I brought it to the dealer who it seems properly diagnosed that I had not tightened the gas cap adequate: no less than 3 clicks.

I didn't smell fumes but the dealer's diagnostic equipment did detect them from the gasoline filling port until the cap was tightened. This leak was also detected by the rig's systems which then actuated the aforementioned engine light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A loose gas cap is the most common trigger for a check-engine light. The EVAP system is supposed to be sealed. The EVAP system thinks a loose cap is a leak. It actually is a leak, a human error. It's a good habit to tighten the gas cap until you hear 3 clicks.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
A loose gas cap is the most common trigger for a check-engine light. The EVAP system is supposed to be sealed. The EVAP system thinks a loose cap is a leak. It actually is a leak, a human error. It's a good habit to tighten the gas cap until you hear 3 clicks.
My wife's '14 and my '17 Grand Cherokee's don't have gas caps. The external door covering the gas tank filler tube doesn't appear to seal either. I wonder what the difference is between fuel systems that have a fuel cap like on the wranglers versus the Grand Cherokees that don't have a cap.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd almost forgot about those old clockspring chokes, high idle cams, heat risers, and EGR valves. Then there was the issue of high altitude mixture and steep hills that overflowed the floatbowls. Every man and half the mom's in the country knew how to tinker with a stuck choke, now a lost skill...and not missed at all, LOL.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My wife's '14 and my '17 Grand Cherokee's don't have gas caps. The external door covering the gas tank filler tube doesn't appear to seal either. I wonder what the difference is between fuel systems that have a fuel cap like on the wranglers versus the Grand Cherokees that don't have a cap.
My wife's Flex does not have a conventional cap either. But the door has a nice lip seal. I believe the tank operates in a slightly low pressure which the ambient air pressure is sealed out by the door lip seal. A common screw on cap often uses a large O-ring which must be slightly compressed to get a good seal.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Hi guys,

This may be an entirely stupid question (not being a mechanic and all), but I thought I would ask. From a cold start, when I move my JL from the driveway into the garage (or vice versa, backing it out into the driveway), I smell a fairly strong gasoline odor. It's sharp, and not what I would expect from errant exhaust fumes. I was wondering whether this was normal, and perhaps just a result of incomplete combustion from a cold start? I mean it's not a big deal, but I notice it quite often. No leaks, everything functions perfectly, so perhaps I'm just noticing something I hadn't before (in previous vehicles) since I finally cleaned my garage, and can finally fit a Jeep into it!

--Bill
So I pulled into the garage and went into the house, came back out a couple minutes later and my garage smells very strong of gasoline. I thought it was my pressure washer just over presurizing and stinking things up. I moved it out back and it it smelled worse. I crawled around every inch of that jeep looking and smelling for a leak. When I would get up near the canister it would get really strong but no gas on the floor nothing.
So a gas leak is nothing to fool around with. I took it into the dealer (warranty) and the did a smoke test, pressure test all the good stuff. Then the guy asked me " I noticed its full of gas" "Yes, I filled it yesterday." When the pump shuts off do you give it an additional squeeze to top it off. I had to admit yeah I tend to give it a little extra squeeze. He said, DONT DO THAT.. Hey I am old school, as much as you can get in there the better. Not anymore my friends. The excess gas has to go somewhere and it turn out it goes into that damn cannister I kept thinking was for air and yes it is a vent for gas pressure. But it is also a carbon filled unit. Once it gets liquid gas in it, say, oh by topping off is one good way. It can take days or even weeks to quit stinking like gas. I thought I was going to blow up the house it was so bad. But all checked out good and everything did what it was supposed. to. Lesson learned

Captain Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
retired
So I pulled into the garage and went into the house, came back out a couple minutes later and my garage smells very strong of gasoline. I thought it was my pressure washer just over presurizing and stinking things up. I moved it out back and it it smelled worse. I crawled around every inch of that jeep looking and smelling for a leak. When I would get up near the canister it would get really strong but no gas on the floor nothing.
So a gas leak is nothing to fool around with. I took it into the dealer (warranty) and the did a smoke test, pressure test all the good stuff. Then the guy asked me " I noticed its full of gas" "Yes, I filled it yesterday." When the pump shuts off do you give it an additional squeeze to top it off. I had to admit yeah I tend to give it a little extra squeeze. He said, DONT DO THAT.. Hey I am old school, as much as you can get in there the better. Not anymore my friends. The excess gas has to go somewhere and it turn out it goes into that damn cannister I kept thinking was for air and yes it is a vent for gas pressure. But it is also a carbon filled unit. Once it gets liquid gas in it, say, oh by topping off is one good way. It can take days or even weeks to quit stinking like gas. I thought I was going to blow up the house it was so bad. But all checked out good and everything did what it was supposed. to. Lesson learned
Ok, I will try this but I do not believe my smell is from over filling the vehicle because it never did this over the past two years.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I did the exact same thing. Came home and could smell gas in my garage bad. I crawled all over the Jeep and could not find a source. Took it in had all the tests done, smoke, etc. They found nothing. Went home left the Jeep outside and went into the garage and I could smell gas even stronger. I had my gas can for my pressure washer and mower in the garage on a wooden shelf. When I picked the can up, it was empty? The can apparently developed a leak and soaked the wooden shelf. I thought surely the house was going to explode, about 5 feet from the water heater. Heres what I learned. Never, ever, no matter what, do not store gasoline or flammable liquids in your garage. Outside in the shed is now the location of all my petrol and petrol products..

Desert Witch

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 4Dr
My 2020 jl has started smelling like gas when we start it. Not a cold start. We were riding on the trails not difficult ones stopped to look at ruins got back in and started it could smell the gas. It will go away but stop and start it up smell the gas. Any suggestions!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife's '20 Recon causes the same raw gas smell in the garage that has been discussed in this thread. It will even do it after she has driven over 1/2 hour home from work, thus no cold start issue. She insists that she does not top off the tank during a fill-up and removes the nozzle right after it clicks off.

I've looked all over the engine bay, under the Jeep, etc., and I cannot find the cause. The dealer kept it for several days and they admitted that they smelled it, too. FCA engineers had them remove the charcoal canister and weigh it to see if it was soaked in gas. It wasn't.

Unable to find the cause the dealer gave it back to us, saying that gas smells are normal in colder weather and to not worry. When the smell continues this coming spring we will return it to them and tell them to fix it this time.

Sponsored

Desert Witch

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 4Dr
So, took my jl to the shop after finding a wet spot on a line under the Jeep on the passenger side. Per the dealership, it is a factory defect that Chrysler is aware of. The entire gas line will fail at some point and highly dangerous. This defect will affect all new models of Jeep per the dealership So, crawl under your on the passenger side and get to looking and feeling. Good luck!!

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Had the same issue, took it in and they gave it the work over, said they couldn't find anything. Even did a smoke test.. Haven't had an issue since. They may have done some work but it wasn't documented.

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
I've had a strong gasoline odor coming from somewhere with my 2020 JLUR Recon while in my garage and from the vehicle itself when driving. I had a gasoline can next to the Jeep but it was empty. The gas odor is very strong and is noticeable everywhere I travel with the vehicle. Checked under the hood and under the Jeep for leaks and cannot find anything to suggest there is a leak. I never top off with gas so that cause can be eliminated. I called Larry Miller Dodge/Jeep (Arizona) for a service appointment for the gas issue and they said it would take 3-4 days for someone to even check it out. I stressed to Service that this is a safety problem that should be prioritized but they said ANY mechanical issue presents the same severity as a gas leak and that they had several HUNDRED vehicles awaiting service!! Jaw dropping! Jeep has this many service appointments in queue? I see several others have experienced the same gasoline odor but no solutions presented yet. Does anyone have any idea where a leak could be coming from?
Sponsored