Sponsored

93 Octane! I like it!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Stop it! :stop: Take yer words 'n' yer facts 'n' yer book-learnin' big citified Tesla-drivin' ways 'n' git! I've been drinkin' 91-93 octane on my Cheerios fer years and I'll tell yer, it's done helped me one whole heap of a lot. Yer just a'spreadin' that fake news I've been hearin' so much about. :facepalm:
:muscle::please::please::please::champagne::champagne::jk:
Sponsored

Wombat

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion :(
The Compression Ratio on the PUG V6 is only 11.3:1.

Which tells me 89 Octane is just right! If the compression ratio was 11.5:1. Or higher? than 93 would be the choice

But stock as is now... 93 May run smoothly but you are pissing money because now you are somewhat messing with the engines temperature considering 93 has less energy than 87

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
I put diesel in mine....

But sometimes I see "premium" diesel advertised so i use that, and oh maah god. When i wheel with premium diesel, my engine runs as smooth as a petrol engine. The diesel atoms Synchronise like these dance swimmers to ensure my cylinders go off with the accuracy of a spark plug. My engine instead of rumbling makes mating calls that attract the local wildlife so that I always have kangaroos and wombats running alongside my car like dolphins swimming with ships. Plus my exhaust leaves a trail of new mulberry saplings wherever I drive. It's wonderful and I feel like snow white. it really is a site to behold.

But when I get the 3.6 JLUR I guess it won't matter what sort of petrol I put in it? We have 94(e10), 95, and premium 98 octane in Australia with a 30-50% price difference between them. On my last petrol car (toyota echo) I felt like premium lasted longer, but that could have just been my brain trying to justify my purchase....

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I put diesel in mine....

But sometimes I see "premium" diesel advertised so i use that, and oh maah god. When i wheel with premium diesel, my engine runs as smooth as a petrol engine. The diesel atoms Synchronise like these dance swimmers to ensure my cylinders go off with the accuracy of a spark plug. My engine instead of rumbling makes mating calls that attract the local wildlife so that I always have kangaroos and wombats running alongside my car like dolphins swimming with ships. Plus my exhaust leaves a trail of new mulberry saplings wherever I drive. It's wonderful and I feel like snow white. it really is a site to behold.

But when I get the 3.6 JLUR I guess it won't matter what sort of petrol I put in it? We have 94(e10), 95, and premium 98 octane in Australia with a 30-50% price difference between them. On my last petrol car (toyota echo) I felt like premium lasted longer, but that could have just been my brain trying to justify my purchase....
Kangaroo and wombat running along side. What an image you present!

giphy.gif

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I put diesel in mine....

There is no justifying a Toyota Echo...unless you use it as a wheel chock when working on your Jeep.

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Exactly. To squeeze out a couple more gallons to raise their fleet average, Jeep engineers went through the effort to make a 4 cal turbo engine with a huge lithium battery connected to a giant starter and required 91 octane, when duh....they should have just required 93 octane on the 3.6L.
Maybe slap a magnet on the fuel line while they’re at it.
Don’t forget the catch can. That’s another 4mpg! Maybe a throttle body spacer and a intake. 30mpg easy.

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
Every single car I've had in the past 20 years has required 93 octane gas, so the fact that I can now put the cheaper gas option in my car and save .60 a gallon without any issues is very satisfying. :)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ok..I am not an engine timing expert but if any of your JLUs Penstar 3.6s are like mine, it has a tendency to knock a lot. The colder the weather...it seems more prevalent. The key take away for me after watching this view was the computer controlled knock sensors reduce output.

Just saying...for those of us who have tried 93....its make no sense to go back to 87 with gas prices as high as they are. But for those saying 93 octane should not make a difference, I believe you are right. I am of the mind set that 87 just produces too much knocking and the knock sensors and computer protects the engine by reduces output and thus consumes more gas for less performance. Ugh.,
The gas you are buying is junk. You should be getting 0 knock with 87.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If your 3.6 knocks more when cold then it's an issue with the engine. Most of the time when you say knock that means spark knock, aka pre-detonation. Colder air deters spark knock.
Ok. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this. There is no such thing as pre-detonation. There is pre-ignition, and there is detonation. They are 2 very different things. Knocking is caused by detonation, which is when the air/fuel mixture explodes instead of burning evenly. Pre-ignition is when the air/fuel mixture ignites in advance of when it should, usually due to a hot spot from a cylinder deposit.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There's a lot of hatin' going on in this thread, and that's fine. I don't expect everybody to know the ins and outs of a gasoline engine. But the bottom line is this: octane rating refers to the fuel's ability to resist compression (heat). If an engine has a 87 octane spec, and you run 93 octane in it, and the computer "doesn't change a thing"...then what would result is that the engine would not run efficiently and it may even be hard to start in cold weather. If it truly never ever altered the spark timing, fuel pulse, VVT, etc. and the fuel octane changed, then you would end up having issues over time.

There HAS to be some compensation set up in the ECU to handle these situations. Some companies like Ford advertise two horsepower levels depending on fuel octane, other companies like FCA tell you to use 87 only for marketing (appearance of convenience) reasons, but in one way or the other all of them are programming their powertrain controls to "see" what type of fuel is in the tank.
You don't think FCA would want to tout ANY power increases/fuel savings that could be had with higher octane? Again, show me the dyno tests that prove your hypothesis.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Ok. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this. There is no such thing as pre-detonation. There is pre-ignition, and there is detonation. They are 2 very different things. Knocking is caused by detonation, which is when the air/fuel mixture explodes instead of burning evenly. Pre-ignition is when the air/fuel mixture ignites in advance of when it should, usually due to a hot spot from a cylinder deposit.
Yup. Saying "pre-detonation" is like saying "irregardless". Kinda redundant/contradictory. Detonation is a "pre/post/continuous" event: detonation is the enemy of ignition. Pre-ignition can cause detonation. Both are bad, but shouldn't be happening consistently in a modern, 87 octane rated engine running on 87.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
There is no justifying a Toyota Echo...unless you use it as a wheel chock when working on your Jeep.
Hahah, the 04 Toyota Echo was my first car. It was definitely a jump going from that the the JK.

I did on more than one occasion pretend it was a rally car around some dirt tracks near home....

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
put what you want in it, seriously it is a $3 difference on fill ups if that., I love the way mine sounds feels with 93 in it.

I have always noticed a few more miles per tank when I use 93

87 is for your friggin lawnmower
Actually most of my 2 cycle lawn equipment requires 91 octane. The simplier the engine the higher octane it requires.
Sponsored