4xe Q- Flat Towing a 4xe

Gusmack

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes E350 wagon
Anyone know if there is an “ official “ statement in writing from Jeep on Flat Towing the 4xe- and how to - the only mention I see in the 4xe addendum to the user manual is “”See page 54 for Recreational towing “, p54 has nothing there-???? which makes me concerned this was just a cut paste error - As I am sure y,all are aware - Jeep is the Nos 1 option RV’rs go for because of it’s ease of towing - the new transfer case design for a hybrid may inhibit this - everybody I talk to in Sales say Yes! U. An flat tow - but it would be nice to see it in writing before I pull the trigger on a 4Xe Rubicon- anybody else inquired?
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Nope but a good question which hasn't been asked yet.

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara, '20 JTR Gator, '21 JLUR4xe Nacho
Occupation
Project Manager
Are you sure it's a new transfer case? I think "secret sauce" in the driveline is the electric motor between the engine and the transmission. No matter the power plant, in a 4x4 all you have to do is put the T-case in neutral and you can flat tow.

OP
OP

Gusmack

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes E350 wagon
Are you sure it's a new transfer case? I think "secret sauce" in the driveline is the electric motor between the engine and the transmission. No matter the power plant, in a 4x4 all you have to do is put the T-case in neutral and you can flat tow.
Thanks- I am 80% convinced- that’s the answer- also same A I get from Sales - just be nice to see it in writing from Jeep in their manual - ie: how/ not to- it’s in there for the std gas JL’s

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could also assume (which you are trying not to do lol) that it is fine because they didn't put anything in the supplemental making it just like a normal wrangler. It would technically be in writing in that case as it is in the regular owners manual.

Sponsored

GDCRubicon

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Rubicon X unlimited. 2015 Grand Cherokee
just got approved to the forum!
Following this question on the 4XE flat towing behind RV. We have a 2014 Rubicon unlimited X that we tow behind RV and I have it all set up with brake controller inside Jeep. Thinking about this new Jeep and would totally be a miss to find out that I could not do the same. I too looked at the discussion on the manual and page 54 and it does not say much. My 2014 has very detailed instructions on how to disengage the transfer case and there are steps for turning on/off engine etc... Also, on my year the steering wheel does not lock...every. So I do not have to leave the key on to free the steering wheel which then requires additional wiring. I simply bought a very good battery and it handles the brake devise etc...

So two questions on flat towing are is it ok and do the steering wheels lock on the later model wranglers.

Then somewhere i read where it was said the rear seats on the 4XE do not fold. However it looks like they do in that same manual. However, maybe they just don't fold flat like mine do now. Are they raised up hence making room for battery? I would prefer completely flat for sliding in stuff but at a minimum need to fold so I can put two big golden doodles back there when needed.

Any info appreciate... Still also have my eye on that 392 but boy is that getting up there. My 2014 Rubicon X Unlimted loaded was $44K back in 2014.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear seats fold flat but not flat with the "trunk" space as they sit up higher due to the battery.

GDCRubicon

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Rubicon X unlimited. 2015 Grand Cherokee
thank you, in the manual it looked like that but was not sure.

Be good to see when someone takes delivery on one and hooks it up to a RV and shares the info on that process.