4wd instrument cluster

Tnwalkerguy

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I’ve had my Wrangler JL (2020 Willys) about a month now, and shifted into 4h just to know the feel (so I wouldn’t be figuring it out when I “needed” it). Had a lot of difficulty shifting the transfer case so I ran it by the dealership today, and they did it the first time, and now it transfers smoothly. With the vehicle in drive and rolling, I shifted it down into 4h. On the instrument cluster, the 4h indicator (in the tachometer) flashed orange a few times then became solid. I shifted back to 2h and the 2h turned white. My question is...is the 4h flash before solid normal and part of the indicator? I can’t find anything in the manual or online that says yes or no....
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My 2018 doesn't flash.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
No flash here. And it's always hard to shift in the beginning. The more you use it the looser it gets:angel:. I'd actually be concerned that after taking it to the dealer, it's now easy to shift. But, that's just me:like:

OP
OP
Tnwalkerguy

Tnwalkerguy

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
No flash here. And it's always hard to shift in the beginning. The more you use it the looser it gets:angel:. I'd actually be concerned that after taking it to the dealer, it's now easy to shift. But, that's just me:like:
It’s not as easy as the transmission to shift (had to take from dealer stock to qualify for the 0% financing, so it’s an automatic, which is the only thing I don’t like about it) so it still takes some force, but not like it was. The service guy at the dealership took it through to 4l and back up following the book. I’ll do it again today and see what happens. Thank you for the heads up...

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It’s not as easy as the transmission to shift (had to take from dealer stock to qualify for the 0% financing, so it’s an automatic, which is the only thing I don’t like about it) so it still takes some force, but not like it was. The service guy at the dealership took it through to 4l and back up following the book. I’ll do it again today and see what happens. Thank you for the heads up...
I'd just keep working with it some. :like:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The flashing only means the 4WD hasn’t engaged. That’s all. You want to make sure the light indicator stays solid.

As per why it hasn’t engaged, that depends. Wrangler 4WD shifters are notorious for their temperament; the 4:1 transfer case on Rubicons is more difficult than most. The owner’s manual explains the right procedure. Once you get the hang of it it ain’t too bad.

Good luck.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
You could buy an aftermarket shifter. They come in various colors, sizes and shapes.:CWL:

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I've always put the transmission in N before shifting into 4 H. Not sure where I picked that up. I still do it even though the manual says its not needed.

Have you checked your tire pressure? are all 4 tires close? The manual states that can cause a delay in engaging 4H:

Shifting Procedures
2H To 4H Or 4H To 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle
stopped or in motion. The preferred shifting speed would
be 0 to 45 mph (72 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the
transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily
release the accelerator pedal after completing the
shift. Do not accelerate while shifting the transfer case.
Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case
lever.
NOTE:
• Do not attempt to make a shift while only the front or
rear wheels are spinning. The front and rear driveshaft
speeds must be equal for the shift to take place. Shifting
while only the front or rear wheels are spinning can
cause damage to the transfer case.
• Delayed shifts out of four-wheel drive may be experienced
due to uneven tire wear, low or uneven tire pressures,
excessive vehicle loading, or cold temperatures.
• Shifting effort will increase with speed, this is normal.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I’ve seen mine flash and then go solid. Looking at the wire diagram I believe the flash is the signal that the FAD is engaging and it switches to solid when it is engaged. I think it could happen quickly or may take a bit depending on a lot of factors, temp, speed etc.

Gregj

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Hello folks, I have a 2022 Sahara 4xe. I did the same as the OP, try it before I need it. I read the manual. The first time I went to 4H it was extremely stiff. That's OK sometimes but not when shifting into 4H. After using it several times it is smooth as can be. Needs to be used and broke in. Actually 4H Auto is my goto position. It creates a condition sort of like the AWD on the Lexus RX series. 4H part time is only for nasty lose mud or deep snow where you want all 4 turning all the time. Just don't try it on pavement. It could eff up your drive train and skuff the tires. 4 low locks them up also.
Sponsored