First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
This is really the correct answer. Snow tires and a little caution, and just about anything will get through those conditions. Check out what a rear drive wagon did in NYC last winter:

https://jalopnik.com/you-dont-need-all-wheel-drive-in-the-snow-1821806245
That is the old Alaska I grew up in. Now with all the imported Texas and Florida drivers I keep seeing, I run in 4H if anything is on the pavement besides water so when I step on a pedal, I get instant response to my input. Be it braking or accelerating to keep from getting hit. If I was the only vehicle on that road, as long as it wasn't like Anchorage this morning, I'd run 2H. I woke up to freezing rain overnight on top of the wet snow from early yesterday. Anchorages main roads are great, but the side/neighborhood streets are iced up (at least at 9am they were). I ran4H to and from my appointment this morning.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
It's always seemed to me that front wheel drive was often best in light snow / ice than rear wheel drive. Well, at least up to the point where you actually needed all four wheels providing power. I wish Jeep would make it so that you could choose whether you wanted to be operating in front or rear wheel drive while in 2WD mode.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm from Wisconsin as well and used 2H on my 2 door JK for snow. Only used 4H when having issues in deeper crud and keeping the vehicle on the road. Best part of Jeep ownership in WI is getting out BEFORE the plows when feet of snow are on the ground and "playing" :rock:

Looking forward to first snow with the JL as well ;)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
In MIchigan, we drive 80+ mph on that amount of snow in every kind of vehicle.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
In MIchigan, we drive 80+ mph on that amount of snow in every kind of vehicle.
We might get that amount of snow every 20 years or so and people around here will also drive 80+ mph on it...

And having likely never driven in ice or snow, it often has a predictable outcome... :)

I actually *like* for it to happen so that I can sit back, drink a beer, and watch all the accidents...

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
We might get that amount of snow every 20 years or so and people around here will also drive 80+ mph on it...

And having likely never driven in ice or snow, it often has a predictable outcome... :)

I actually *like* for it to happen so that I can sit back, drink a beer, and watch all the accidents...
^^^^
You can pretty much predict that wherever snow falls. I remember driving through Salt Lake (a place where you think they would know how to drive in snow) in a 2wd pick-up truck during a blizzard and counting all the 4x4's in the ditch. Must have been at least a dozen or so stuck and abandoned in the median or off to the side of the freeway.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I see no other vehicles, children, old people using walkers, cross-walk guards, or cops = 2WD is it fishtails more gas and turn into it and smile, if that gets scary throw it into neutral and tap the brakes, when you stop figure out if you are facing the direction you wanted to go, rinse and repeat.
Sponsored