Swaybar disconnected and 4H to 4L

jlcolorado

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2019 JLUR 6 speed with 500 miles. I'm taking it to some trails this weekend now that I think its broken in, so did a systems check on a level dirt road this morning. While in 4H I tested the sway bar disconnect which worked fine, I could hear the disconnect motor run and got the visual text notification of "Sway Bar Disconnected" on the dash screen. After driving a hundred feet I put the clutch in and shifted the transfer case from 4H to neutral and got a quick message on the dash screen displaying what I think was "Shift into 4H or 4L to disconnect sway bar". The message disappeared quickly so I'm not positive on what the message displayed. Also the sway bar button was blinking. Because of this I aborted my plan of shifting to 4L (the transfer case was in N) and shifted back to 4H and reconnected the sway bar. Once the sway bar reconnected I left it alone and shifted into 4L to make sure that was working, which it was and felt generally satisfied so quit my testing.

So my question is, should it be possible to do the follow?
  1. Shift transfer case into 4H
  2. Disconnect Sway bar
  3. Drive around, do some things in 4H with sway bar disconnected
  4. Encounter obstacle and shift into N then 4L while sway bar is STILL disconnected
  5. After obstacle shift back to 4H with sway bar disconnected
Or do I have to add a step in there where I reconnect and re-disconnect the sway bar (considering If I think I need the sway bar disconnected with 4L)? I'm wondering if when the transfer case is in neutral the sway bar disconnect feature is not happy since the Jeep is not currently in 4H or 4L technically when the transfer case is in neutral.
  1. Shift transfer case into 4H
  2. Disconnect Sway bar
  3. Drive around, do some things in 4H with sway bar disconnected
  4. Encounter obstacle and make a plan (hopefully on level ground to re-connect sway bar)
  5. Re-connect Sway bar
  6. Shift from 4H to 4L
  7. Disconnect Sway bar again
  8. Obliterate obstacle
  9. Reconnect Sway bar
  10. Shift from 4L to 4H
  11. Disconnect sway bar if necessary
If that is the better way, I'd rather do it right and not break any thing but that seems to be pretty counter productive. I hope this is not the correct method!

I'm new to the Rubicon, but not new to Wranglers so unsure on this one and can't seem to find the answer in the owners manual or searching this forum. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Once in 4H or 4lo, whenever you punch the sway disconnect it is speed dependent. Once you hit about 20 mph it will reconnect. With out touching the button and dropping the speed it will disconnect

OP
OP

jlcolorado

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once in 4H or 4lo, whenever you punch the sway disconnect it is speed dependent. Once you hit about 20 mph it will reconnect. With out touching the button and dropping the speed it will disconnect
\

This doesn't really answer my question. I did not mention my speed though, so to clarify, my speed was under 10 mph during testing. To your point my sway bar disconnect should not have been re-connected by the speed logic.

My question is, can you shift from 4H to 4L WITH the sway bar disconnected?

And thank you Kidder212 for your help.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Cheby Colorado
I don't have a JLUR (yet), but I can't think of any reason why it would need to be reconnected to switch from 4H to 4L. All you're doing is manipulating the T-case.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @jlcolorado I'm totally guessing here, but I'm thinking that when you were in neutral between 4H and 4L the sway bar reconnects. My reasoning here is that we all know the sway bar will only disconnect if you are in either 4H or 4L below 18mph or so. With that said, you were in N for a brief time while switching from 4H to 4L so the swaybar reconnected. I'm not saying this is actually true as I've never experienced this myself; this is just my educated guess. More often than not, I'm in 4L during my entire offroad run and just leave the swaybar disconnected from the get go. In your scenario, I'd say yeah, you need to disconnect again once you've shifted to 4L.
My question is, can you shift from 4H to 4L WITH the sway bar disconnected?
This is, in deed, the question.

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Just went out to the Jeep.. so if you pause in neutral it turns off the module all together (reconnect) moving the T-case to 4lo you have to disconnect with the button..... if the T-case is moved from 4H to 4lo with out a pause in neutral the sway disconnect remembers the setting and same with moving from 4lo to 4H

OP
OP

jlcolorado

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went out to the Jeep.. so if you pause in neutral it turns off the module all together (reconnect) moving the T-case to 4lo you have to disconnect with the button..... if the T-case is moved from 4H to 4lo with out a pause in neutral the sway disconnect remembers the setting and same with moving from 4lo to 4H
Awesome, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks to all for your comments. Just another reminder how helpful this community is!

I wonder what the module has programmed as a "pause" for the transfer case in Neutral. I'm guessing more than a second but in retrospect I feel like the message about the "sway bar needs to be disconnected in 4H or 4L" displayed instantly upon entering N on the Transfer Case. But just as well I could have been taking more time with the shift just since I was playing with this for the first time in a JL.

Anyway, I brought this up with mostly the intention to avoid breaking something but with all this new information it seems like the software was just doing what its supposed to do and there's no danger in shifting the transfer case from 4H > N > 4L and vice versa with the sway bar disconnected. You just have to do it quickly if you want to keep the sway bar disconnected but if you don't shift quickly enough its not going to break something and rather require the driver to disconnect their sway bar again.

OP
OP

jlcolorado

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where you going?
I've got a few in mind. I'm headed up to Fort Collins on Saturday where my brother is in grad school and we're going to hit some trails near there. Kelly Flats, Sevenmile Creek, Bald Mountain and Moody Hill are under consideration. Of those 4 I have done Sevenmile Creek and that was nice. Have not been on any of the others but I have heard good things.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought.........I usually only use 4 lo when the terrain is to rough to go faster than about 10 mph or when crawling over an obstacle. Same for suspension articulation.........only needed when crawling over an obstacle 5 mph or less.
If it were me.........i'd only disconnect when 4 lo is needed. Believe me, You're not going to want to climb over a stump, or rock by approaching it at 15 mph with the swaybar disconnected right.............you're gonna slow down, go to low range then disconnect and crawl over it. Point being if a trail is so smooth you can use high range and not beat your jeep and your body to death...........you don't need added suspension travel/articulation and the increased body roll could be scary in some cases.
Sponsored