40'S on your JL

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
what kind of wheeling are you guys doing that you need 40" tires?
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
that's one of the reasons I'm not going to do it first of all I don't need it and to change the axles out that's a lot of money ? Isn't that about $15,000 or more and I know there's another way you can do it by putting some reinforcement on there but I wouldn't chance it I don't want to have to buy a new axles when I'm not expecting it

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

“Need”? Was that an attempt to draw someone with 40s in to an argument about how 40s aren’t needed for real wheeling? :CWL:

I’ll save you the argument. I don’t have 40s, but I can tell you they look badass on a Jeep. 40s are the new 37s!
Take care. 🤠

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
“Need”? Was that an attempt to draw someone with 40s in to an argument about how 40s aren’t needed for real wheeling? :CWL:

I’ll save you the argument. I don’t have 40s, but I can tell you they look badass on a Jeep. 40s are the new 37s!
Take care. 🤠
Yep 37s are the new 35s and 40s all the 37s I just can't afford it because I would change axles and I don't have that money lying around with my daughter in college. And it does look good that's for sure

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Yep 37s are the new 35s and 40s all the 37s I just can't afford it because I would change axles and I don't have that money lying around with my daughter in college. And it does look good that's for sure
You don’t “have” to change out axles for 40s unless you are doing some decent off-roading with it.
I know a few people that have 39s and 40s put on right off the dealer lot with just a lift. They’ve been riding for years just fine but dont do any heavy off-roading.

Sponsored

unaseer

First Name
Umar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Take care. 🤠
Oh man! That is an awesome answer! That is exactly why I got 40s! They look badass! Also I like them and that's really all the fucking reason I need.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
You don’t “have” to change out axles for 40s unless you are doing some decent off-roading with it.
I know a few people that have 39s and 40s put on right off the dealer lot with just a lift. They’ve been riding for years just fine but dont do any heavy off-roading.
I do go off roading I don't just drive it to the mall and I'm not saying you do but mine's more than just a daily driver. People up here in our Jeep club broke axles just driving around. That's a lot more to heavy weight on those tires than what came with it 33s that is made for. 3738 is pushing it everyone said 40s with the weight of the tire is going to do damage but maybe you know people that didn't maybe they're just driving around doing nothing I guess I don't know. Not worth the risk for me I can put a 38 in not much difference in the 40 depending on what tire you get there are some 40s that are not true 40 s then you've got some 38s that are true 38s there's a big difference

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Another problem I will have is my garage with 37s. it barely fits in there now and I'm not moving my other house was a custom house I had 9 ft garage doors it was sweet I had a King ranch f250 with a 12 inch lift and 40s. it went right inside it was nice I had it custom build for the truck since I was going to live there and have my truck but I got rid of my two acres and moved and I don't want to park my Jeep outside now

unaseer

First Name
Umar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I do go off roading I don't just drive it to the mall and I'm not saying you do but mine's more than just a daily driver. People up here in our Jeep club broke axles just driving around. That's a lot more to heavy weight on those tires than what came with it 33s that is made for. 3738 is pushing it everyone said 40s with the weight of the tire is going to do damage but maybe you know people that didn't maybe they're just driving around doing nothing I guess I don't know. Not worth the risk for me I can put a 38 in not much difference in the 40 depending on what tire you get there are some 40s that are not true 40 s then you've got some 38s that are true 38s there's a big difference
I wheel my Jeep at Rausch Creek. Black trails aren't an issue with my stock 44 axels. Things can break on the trail, regardless of tire size.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I mean going from a stock 33 on the Rubicon JL tire which is about 62 lbs. I went to 37s which is about 77 lbs. I have 37 12.50 17 so going to a 40 which is about 92 lbs. that's a lot of extra weight at around 30 lbs. more. just on the rotors and brakes. do yall change out the brakes and rotors at all ? Because I know people wo have because with 40s they said it was harder stopping with the factory brakes

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited

Take care. 🤠

Haha, yeah I'm a function over form guy so I'm not sure 40's will ever make sense to me. I like having the smallest tire possible for the trail but I'm a rare bread with in the new Jeep crowd.

Last edited:

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
Here's mine. I just got it back after 1.5 months in the shop. Maximus loves to sell racks and not tell you the mounting hardware is 3 months out. I am still waiting for a ton of parts (Ram, 2nd set of A pilar baja's, RCV's, Maximus low profile roof rack and ladder). I will do a build thread once I have everything on.

PXL_20210131_010050839.jpg

PXL_20210131_010139293.jpg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Here's mine. I just got it back after 1.5 months in the shop. Maximus loves to sell racks and not tell you the mounting hardware is 3 months out. I am still waiting for a ton of parts (Ram, 2nd set of A pilar baja's, RCV's, Maximus low profile roof rack and ladder). I will do a build thread once I have everything on.

Jeep Wrangler JL 40'S on your JL PXL_20210131_010139293

Jeep Wrangler JL 40'S on your JL PXL_20210131_010139293
That looks kick ass what tires are those are those Iroks or the swampers they look like the Iroks. I know somebody that runs those those are nice and sick looking. I noticed you did the fender delete light kit. which one did you use and what lift kit do you have on that and what brand and how much of a lift how many inches that looks damn good are you going to do anything to the axles also

Vettethret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel/2022 X3M Comp
That looks kick ass what tires are those are those Iroks or the swampers they look like the Iroks. I know somebody that runs those those are nice and sick looking. I noticed you did the fender delete light kit. which one did you use and what lift kit do you have on that and what brand and how much of a lift how many inches that looks damn good are you going to do anything to the axles also
Thank you. They are the Mickey Thompson Pro XS. They are gnarley in person and super, super soft compound. They drive really good for how aggressive they are. The fender delete kit is the American Adventure Labs set up. I'm running the Metalcloak 3.5 and needed more clearance. I have the Truss kit for front and rear and RCV's coming. I've built 6 Jeeps just like this (4 JK's/2 JL's) and wheeled a lot of places with this kind of setup and have never bent or broke an axle/housing, not worried at all.
Sponsored