LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Most of y'all that are going with 40 are you changing axles if you off road
That's true. I assume new axles include new brakes.

I'm not sure to invest in current Rubicon axle (gears, RCV, brakes, etc) or just buy new axle. It seemed like a complete axle package was $8k but I haven't looked too deep.

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Shad over at Crawler Conceptz showed up at EJS this year with 40s on his JL. He abused them all week long and never had any issues.

Doubt the stock axles will hold for very long, but it was fun to see him gettin' it.

Hahaha, that's not rock crawling... that's rock hoppin!

Sponsored

mtnbiker73

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
And how many people do you know of out of the thousands of modified Jeeps on stock axles have actually broken or bent the housing?. I've heard the internet "Experts" say this for 10+years. Not that I'm any kind of trail/offroading expert, but I've had 4 built Jks and a 2018 JL on everything from 38x15.5's to 40's, all on stock axles, and have wheeled them all, NEVER had any issues long term (John Bull Gatekeeper, Marble Canyon,Matino Wash etc) . If you're going to be stupid and run through the desert at 60 mph with 40's and stock axles or wheel without any regard for your equipment, then sure.
Broke our factory JL axle on the first trail on our first wheeling trip at Windrock. And no...we weren't jumping it or doing crazy stuff. Just came up on a small ledge climb and it snapped the axle right at the FAD. 6 JKs did the same obstacle without a problem. We were running 37s at the time.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've wheeled a good bit on my 40's with factory axles, but I'm easy on the skinny pedal. I do however plan on upgrading my axles in the near future just for so I don't have to worry about it.

Broke our factory JL axle on the first trail on our first wheeling trip at Windrock. And no...we weren't jumping it or doing crazy stuff. Just came up on a small ledge climb and it snapped the axle right at the FAD. 6 JKs did the same obstacle without a problem. We were running 37s at the time.
Sorry to hear about that. I've wheeled with a lot of people running 37's on the factory axles without any issues(not to say there won't be any down road). Is it possible your front axle wasn't perfect from the factory?

Jeep looks great btw! One of the nicest 2dr JL's I've seen. :beer:

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Hahaha, that's not rock crawling... that's rock hoppin!
Most definitely! Shows the new JL Rubi axles can take some abuse. A JK axle would've never held up to that.
When the engineers from Dana saw that video their jaws dropped, they couldn't believe nothing broke.

Anyone running 40's off road should be planning on upgrading to bigger axles. If not, they will be when something breaks. ;)

We've already twisted a Rubicon axle shaft with 37s, it hasn't broke yet, but with the 40's we're expecting it to happen.

That's true. I assume new axles include new brakes.

I'm not sure to invest in current Rubicon axle (gears, RCV, brakes, etc) or just buy new axle. It seemed like a complete axle package was $8k but I haven't looked too deep.
That's a huge plus to going with bigger, stronger axles, you can get bigger stronger brakes.

Wow! I have to look into those. Did you consider other options?
The only other option at the time was the Mopar big brake kit and that just swaps you up to Rubicon sized brakes, so no upgrade to Rubicon owners, really only a mod for the Sport and Sahara people.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mtnbiker73

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've wheeled a good bit on my 40's with factory axles, but I'm easy on the skinny pedal. I do however plan on upgrading my axles in the near future just for so I don't have to worry about it.

Sorry to hear about that. I've wheeled with a lot of people running 37's on the factory axles without any issues(not to say there won't be any down road). Is it possible your front axle wasn't perfect from the factory?

Jeep looks great btw! One of the nicest 2dr JL's I've seen. :beer:
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. It broke right at the plug welds. Thanks!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For those with a Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor and 40's, what backspacing are you using on your rims? Thanks in advance!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase