392 Problems

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
After I picked up the 392 at the dealer 8/31, about 100 miles away, I noticed a coolant leak when I arrived home. I took it to my local dealer the next day and had it "repaired" the following day. The first photo shows where it was leaking on day one. It's on the back of the water pump housing and can be seen from the passenger side, sort of under the alternator. The second photo is where it is leaking now....the same spot. If you notice from the attached photos, there is a shoulder on the black tube that's about 1/2" from the displaced O-ring...it's my belief that the shoulder should be pressing in on the O-ring to hold it in place...it is not. The third image shows where the tube and O-ring is in the engine bay....Since I didn't look at the repair, I don't know if the tube somehow backed off, allowing the O-ring to slip out again.... :headbang:

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Problems O ring 1

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Problems O ring 2

Jeep Wrangler JL 392 Problems O ring 3
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sorry you are having this problem. But at least it is a physical connection problem that you have clearly identified. Let the dealer take another shot at it, but suggest that they get FCA on the phone, perhaps with a star case.

My guess is that hoses and electrical harnesses are the #1 cause of issues when you transplant a proven engine from one platform (e.g. challangers, Durangos, etc) to another (392). FCA may be interested in tracking that, and I doubt they will fight the star case.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Sorry you are having this problem. But at least it is a physical connection problem that you have clearly identified. Let the dealer take another shot at it, but suggest that they get FCA on the phone, perhaps with a star case.

My guess is that hoses and electrical harnesses are the #1 cause of issues when you transplant a proven engine from one platform (e.g. challangers, Durangos, etc) to another (392). FCA may be interested in tracking that, and I doubt they will fight the star case.

Good luck and keep us posted.
What is a star case??

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I think someone recently posted a description of this exact same issue (rubber o-ring sticking out) in one of the two 392 Facebook forums…. Or maybe it was you?

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I think someone recently posted a description of this exact same issue (rubber o-ring sticking out) in one of the two 392 Facebook forums…. Or maybe it was you?
Probably me...

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What is a star case??
A STAR is open (by a dealer) when the dealer calls Jeep/FCA in for Technical assistance on a customer problem, and is talking to a technical rep at FCA. The case stays on file so if other dealers out there encounter a similar problem it shows up when they do a symptom search it becomes a reference library.
Sponsored