Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
If you choose to bypass it how would it remain charged, and by bypassing do you mean the jumper connected to N1 and N2 then the ESS negative disconnected off the main correct ?
My answer was in the context of needing to replace the aux battery while under warranty. If necessary, I would bypass it as you describe until I could get to the dealer. I'm just finishing three weeks of running with the ESS bypassed and it is still at 12.61 volts.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping my ESS craps out right at the tail end of my warrant so they can cover it and I would hopefully be good for several years

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"I know guys like Jebiruph have FULLY explained things and took a ton of time to write up a VERY thorough explanation on the system. (just a bit over my head) ...... I just need it broken down so that a 16 year old (I;m NOT 16) could understand the jump process....

Thanks.

Chris

I saw that Jebiruph was on this thread earlier.....fell free to jump in (no pun intended) !"

I'm replying here to a @c2m2h3 post in another thread to try to keep these battery explanations in the same thread. Here's what may be a jeep friendlier explanation. Let's suppose you put huge tires on your jeep, but you keep the original spare. You're on the road with a full portable air tank of pressurized air. You get a nail in one of the big tires and it goes flat. Then you see the small spare is flat too. You plug the hole in the big tire and it will now hold air. And you have an air hose you can connect to both wheels and air them up at the same time.

If you air them both up at the same time, it will take longer than airing up just one because of the extra capacity you have to fill. Chances are the air tank doesn't have that much air anyway. You're not even sure the tank can fill the big tire, so your best bet is to air up the smaller tire. But success is still not guaranteed, because it still depends on how much air it takes to get the spare road worthy and if is there enough air in the tank.

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
From what I can gather.......

Have a Jumper (Like Jerry's or what Wranglerman pictured above) and it's probably easiest to use wing nuts to attach it.....Keep it in your glove box, etc. (not connected all the time, although I believe Jerry determined that there have been no issues with it being left on)

If you can't start your JL (Dead, but still Good battery), attach the Jumper between N1 and N2, Disconnect the Main Battery Negative (Bar with 2 Black Wires). Don't let that Bar touch anything. Attach your Jump Pack Positive (Red Lead) to the Positive Terminal of the Main Battery and the Negative (Black Lead) of the Jump Pack to the Chassis (Grounded) or the Negative Terminal of the Main Battery....(???)

If anything I said was incorrect, someone PLEASE point it out....... My post is more of a , "Hey guys, is this correct ?"

I also understand that there are possibly other situations where something may be going wrong with the electrical system......

Chris

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I can gather.......

Have a Jumper (Like Jerry's or what Wranglerman pictured above) and it's probably easiest to use wing nuts to attach it.....Keep it in your glove box, etc. (not connected all the time, although I believe Jerry determined that there have been no issues with it being left on)

If you can't start your JL (Dead, but still Good battery), attach the Jumper between N1 and N2, Disconnect the Main Battery Negative (Bar with 2 Black Wires). Don't let that Bar touch anything. Attach your Jump Pack Positive (Red Lead) to the Positive Terminal of the Main Battery and the Negative (Black Lead) of the Jump Pack to the Chassis (Grounded) or the Negative Terminal of the Main Battery....(???)

If anything I said was incorrect, someone PLEASE point it out....... My post is more of a , "Hey guys, is this correct ?"

I also understand that there are possibly other situations where something may be going wrong with the electrical system......

Chris

Does can't start with still good battery mean the main battery is good and aux is bad? Then with the jumper installed, just disconnect the aux battery ground from the main battery negative terminal, leave the terminal on the main battery. Then do a normal jump start, just like any other car.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Jerry,

For the sake of this example, sure. Thank you.

My concern is not disconnecting the ESS, but rather if ANYTHING causes the JL not to start and you have a Jump Pack, and a Jerry "Jumper" wire, how do you get the JL started with JUST the Jump Pack and what is the broken down process....
Sponsored