HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Exactly, normal compared to what? Other JL Rubicons on the lot don't make that noise ......

Anyways, I've learned to live with it for now I guess. Funny thing is, with cold morning starts I don't hear the knock, once the engine warms up is progressively get louder.
Sponsored

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I just purchased a jlu in late October. Immediately, I noticed that the engine has a knocking sound when it gets up to temperature at idle. I took it back and complained and after putting in a passenger intake cam shaft, phaser, oil selenoid, lifters and rockers, along with the exhaust lifters and rockers, and about a month in the shop, it still is knocking.
They pulled in a new jl and that engine has the same knock sound. I have a open star case with jeep and I asked that they send a field engineer to come listen to it. I am totally expecting them to tell me that this is "normal" and "operating as designed" The dealer told me that I will not get an engineer to come out. I have not heard back from jeep yet. I also had another dealer listen to it and they told me "that it does not sound right and should be looked at." You can hear this knock inside the vehicle with the doors and windows closed. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem so I am asking now, do any of you have a knocking sound at idle? I can't believe this is "normal".The Jeep had around 900 miles when they finally replaced the parts. It has 1200 now.
What say you?
Btw, they had to replace the drag link due to the ball joints were "wore out". Those were on back order, I suppose from so many others having issues.

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm actually hoping this is normal. My brand new JLU has what I think is the same noise. It sounds like rod knock but it only happens between cold startup and fully up to temp. Anyone else?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm actually hoping this is normal. My brand new JLU has what I think is the same noise. It sounds like rod knock but it only happens between cold startup and fully up to temp. Anyone else?
Hi Mike,
I do understand your reaching out to hear the experiences of your fellow forum members. However, should you decide to have your dealer look into this further, please feel free to loop us in! We'd be happy to assist with your dealer visit if needed. We are available via private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Bozman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl 2door sport

Bozman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl 2door sport
Yup my 2019 does exactly the same thing..definitely from the bottom end!

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
See my threads on this issue, it is a real problem. The issue is with the lifters and is 100% fixable.
Sponsored