Sponsored

3.6 Engine Braking

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Hi everyone. 2600 miles into my JLUS 3.6 A8 ownership experience. Transmission for the most part shifts smoothly. The engine braking programmed into this thing is driving me a bit crazy though. I find myself selecting autostick anytime I'm on a downgrade to avoid it's insistence on rowing through gears on the deceleration or coasting side. I've even had it hit 1st gear while rolling to a stop. It's insane. The 2.0 rentals I've had do not do this. Is this just part of the deal and 'normal' in the JL with the 3.6 A8 or should I have mine looked at? I totally get it if the cruise control is on as she needs to manage downgrades somehow - but I live in a hilly area and if I let off the gas to coast without CC on - down the grade she wants put me on the shoulder harness and find a gear that winds her up between 2-3k. She also tends to hold onto gears a bit longer than I'd like accelerating. If I'm going up a grade I don't mind her holding onto 3rd gear - but as I roll off the gas as the grade flattens, I do expect her to move on to 4th gear instead of sitting there at 2500rpm in 3rd even though I've lifted off the gas.
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is engine breaking what I experience when it's downshifting and just hugs a high rpm? It feels like it's a jolt around 3rd gear. Very disconcerting

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Same on the JLR 3.6 auto. The steeper the hill the more it holds the lower gear. Probably great for off road but not so much on the street.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Is engine breaking what I experience when it's downshifting and just hugs a high rpm? It feels like it's a jolt around 3rd gear. Very disconcerting
No, engine breaking is what leaves you stranded on the side of the road. Engine braking is what you describe.

I couldn’t resist being that guy on the internet. :like:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Same on the JLR 3.6 auto. The steeper the hill the more it holds the lower gear. Probably great for off road but not so much on the street.
Do you mean when you’re going downhill and the Jeep feels like it’s downshifting? I rather like that feeling. My other cars didn’t do that, felt like full speed ahead going downhill. I do have a question though, how does one downshift in the JL auto? I thought that’s what M was for until my friend told me that stood for manual. I seem to remember my TJ having a downshift option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TopsOff

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
So far sounds like this is normal for the 3.6 A8. The multiple 2.0 rentals I've driven do not do this.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
It is absolutely "normal" though I wish they had a way to enable/disable it.
Sponsored