2023 2dr rubicon steering issues

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Brand new Rubi that always requires steering input to track straight and likes to wander even when cornering - all at highway speed - in town is not really noticeable. I had it right back to the dealer who tested and said nothing wrong including time on the alignment rack. They said steering box is now not adjustable, as I had heard 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the adjuster can be a bit of help in some cases. So I am wondering where to go from here - is there an aftermarket box I can get ? I have heard a better steering stabilizer may help but that seems to be a band aid if the problem is in the box. I would like to get to the bottom of this as my son has a late 2021 build rubi with the same problem. Thanks
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
After checking your tire pressure - mine came from the dealer set at 47 psi and had me skating all over the place

The next best place to start is replacing the front lower control arms with the longer mopar ones for the 2" lift.
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

Caster angle on the Rubicon is notoriosly low and really should come with the longer lca's as stock.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Brand new Rubi that always requires steering input to track straight and likes to wander even when cornering - all at highway speed - in town is not really noticeable. I had it right back to the dealer who tested and said nothing wrong including time on the alignment rack. They said steering box is now not adjustable, as I had heard 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the adjuster can be a bit of help in some cases. So I am wondering where to go from here - is there an aftermarket box I can get ? I have heard a better steering stabilizer may help but that seems to be a band aid if the problem is in the box. I would like to get to the bottom of this as my son has a late 2021 build rubi with the same problem. Thanks
Not usually one of those guys, so I hate saying this, but that actually does sound fairly standard for a solid axle Jeep. They do wander and it's an active drive to keep it straight. There are some things that you can do to make this better - a little less tire pressure to avoid crowning of the tire and setting toe out to 1/16"-1/8" via alignment - but overall, you're dealing with an 11"+ wide tire with recirculating ball steering, she ain't gonna track as well as other setups.

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
I have the tires at 33 pounds by using a basic gauge - I know a good gauge may be more accurate so I will double check and yes my driving position is very neutral

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
After checking your tire pressure - mine came from the dealer set at 47 psi and had me skating all over the place

The next best place to start is replacing the front lower control arms with the longer mopar ones for the 2" lift.

Caster angle on the Rubicon is notoriosly low.
I guess that would be best confirmed at an alignment shop something other than the dealer ?

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door

Caster angle on the Rubicon is notoriosly low and really should come with the longer lca's as stock.
^This is the way. Longer control arms will straighten that sucker out! Your stock Jeep’s castor angle is likely in the 4 degree range. Get it above 6 degrees. Noticeably better. @blnewt - chime in; this is your jam, bro!

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Not usually one of those guys, so I hate saying this, but that actually does sound fairly standard for a solid axle Jeep. They do wander and it's an active drive to keep it straight. There are some things that you can do to make this better - a little less tire pressure to avoid crowning of the tire and setting toe out to 1/16"-1/8" via alignment - but overall, you're dealing with an 11"+ wide tire with recirculating ball steering, she ain't gonna track as well as other setups.
I have owned many FJ40 land Cruisers with 35-44 inch tires and a JK on 35s none of them had this much issue - this is not my first short wheelbase solid axle 4x4 - this is not "normal" especially for a 70k new vehicle

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I guess that would be best confirmed at an alignment shop something other than the dealer ?
Jeep maintains that a 4.5 degree angle is fine for the wrangler. It really isn't. Particularly in a 2 door, where you'll feel it more than the 4 doors.
5.5 to 6.5 degree's seems to be the 'sweet spot' for the wrangler. There are a bunch of threads discussing the benefit of the longer lca's. I put them on my 2 door sport when I added a rubicon suspension and it felt much tighter even after a 2.5" lift.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Caster is non-adjustable outside of changing out the control arms, and all Rubicons do come low on caster as they're lifted a bit compared to a non-Rubicon JL and have the same length control arms. Caster is the measurement of degrees of separation of the ball joints as your steering pivot points compared to dead vertical, so longer lower control arms will push the axle around its axis and increase the degrees of separation from vertical, enhancing steering in this case because it's slightly less quick to pivot and thus reduces wander somewhat.

I have owned many FJ40 land Cruisers with 35-44 inch tires and a JK on 35s none of them had this much issue - this is not my first short wheelbase solid axle 4x4 - this is not "normal" especially for a 70k new vehicle
JLs are a whole different beast, IMO, even than other generation of Jeeps. They're really in between a short arm and a long arm for coil sprung vehicles, and they're notoriously flighty due to many factors as set from the factory. IMO, since you're running at 33 PSI, I'd start with setting toe to 1/16"-1/8" out (this is within factory spec, just at the outside of the range) since that's going to involve no parts swaps. Most alignment shops go for slightly toe in or close to 0 because that's what many of the techs think is wanted (toe in for responsiveness), but IMO, ask for slightly toe out if you're not there already.

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Caster is non-adjustable outside of changing out the control arms, and all Rubicons do come low on caster as they're lifted a bit compared to a non-Rubicon JL and have the same length control arms. Caster is the measurement of degrees of separation of the ball joints as your steering pivot points compared to dead vertical, so longer lower control arms will push the axle around its axis and increase the degrees of separation from vertical, enhancing steering in this case because it's slightly less quick to pivot and thus reduces wander somewhat.

JLs are a whole different beast, IMO, even than other generation of Jeeps. They're really in between a short arm and a long arm for coil sprung vehicles, and they're notoriously flighty due to many factors as set from the factory. IMO, since you're running at 33 PSI, I'd start with setting toe to 1/16"-1/8" out (this is within factory spec, just at the outside of the range) since that's going to involve no parts swaps. Most alignment shops go for slightly toe in or close to 0 because that's what many of the techs think is wanted (toe in for responsiveness), but IMO, ask for slightly toe out if you're not there already.
Well for me to be that accurate in setting toe I would spend the 100$ and have an alignment shop do it - so might as well spend the little bit more and do the arms as well at the same time . Thanks for the info I will get them to set it up that way.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well for me to be that accurate in setting toe I would spend the 100$ and have an alignment shop do it - so might as well spend the little bit more and do the arms as well at the same time . Thanks for the info I will get them to set it up that way.
There's also at-home alignment plates if you're comfortable mechanically, such as: Synergy Steering Alignment Plates | SYNERGY MANUFACTURING (synergymfg.com)

With that, and if you do the control arms at home, you can save some bucks. Just make sure when setting toe you use two tape measures whose rivets for the head of the tape measure are tight and are therefore giving accurate readings.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The steering on my new-ish '23 2-Door Rubi actually feels pretty decent and seems to track fairly straight for the most part (coming from an AWD sports sedan, it's quite a bit different but not really bad imo). Return-to-center is very slow at slow speeds, but seems normal enough. Still have everything stock with the factory alignment, and lowered the tire pressure to 37PSI cold in late fall (now ~35PSI cold during winter). Tried some lower pressures, but thought the factory-recommended PSI just 'felt' better overall.

I did notice that it tends to constantly pull to the right on sloped/graded roads, but my last car behaved the same on those particular sections of road. At speed on a mostly even/straight highway, my 2-door doesn't seem to wander any worse than a 4-door JL rental I had (2019, iirc) and the amount of slop/play in the '23 wheel is actually quite a bit better.

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
The steering on my new-ish '23 2-Door Rubi actually feels pretty decent and seems to track fairly straight for the most part (coming from an AWD sports sedan, it's quite a bit different but not really bad imo). Return-to-center is very slow at slow speeds, but seems normal enough. Still have everything stock with the factory alignment, and lowered the tire pressure to 37PSI cold in late fall (now ~35PSI cold during winter). Tried some lower pressures, but thought the factory-recommended PSI just 'felt' better overall.

I did notice that it tends to constantly pull to the right on sloped/graded roads, but my last car behaved the same on those particular sections of road. At speed on a mostly even/straight highway, my 2-door doesn't seem to wander any worse than a 4-door JL rental I had (2019, iirc) and the amount of slop/play in the '23 wheel is actually quite a bit better.
At 37psi the tires crown so much, more than an inch of tread doesn't touch pavement on flat ground. This doesnt have any play in the wheel it just doesn't track without constant adjustment to the steering wheel.
Sponsored