Sponsored

2023 2dr rubicon steering issues

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
At 37psi the tires crown so much, more than an inch of tread doesn't touch pavement on flat ground. This doesnt have any play in the wheel it just doesn't track without constant adjustment to the steering wheel.
Yeah, get that caster up and it'll turn your frown upside down. I have just a bit more than a regular rubicon lift and I can run 80mph w/ barely a finger on the wheel to have it run straight and true. If there's a heavy cross wind though, then it's a white knuckle affair :(
Sponsored

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Yeah, get that caster up and it'll turn your frown upside down. I have just a bit more than a regular rubicon lift and I can run 80mph w/ barely a finger on the wheel to have it run straight and true. If there's a heavy cross wind though, then it's a white knuckle affair :(
So I got the arms you used installed today - the shop that did it said they were about 1/16 longer than what was in there. The only difference that I could see was the different bushing in the new set. As far as Castor specs it didn't change at all apparently it was 6 when it came in and its 6 now. Camber changed by a 32nd on one side and a 16th on the other. They went from 0.00 to 0.05 both sides for toe in. It was snowing to beat the band here so pretty tough to say for 100% but it did seem quite a bit better even at slow speeds on the way home. Hopefully have some clear roads to try it out better soon but so far it looks like that may have fixed it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I got the arms you used installed today - the shop that did it said they were about 1/16 longer than what was in there. The only difference that I could see was the different bushing in the new set. As far as Castor specs it didn't change at all apparently it was 6 when it came in and its 6 now. Camber changed by a 32nd on one side and a 16th on the other. They went from 0.00 to 0.05 both sides for toe in. It was snowing to beat the band here so pretty tough to say for 100% but it did seem quite a bit better even at slow speeds on the way home. Hopefully have some clear roads to try it out better soon but so far it looks like that may have fixed it.
Yeah, they are actually 1/4" longer from the center of the bushing holes. I doubt the caster didn't change, I've never heard of a case where the caster stayed the same when these have been installed. At any rate, you should notice a nice change at highway speeds. Post back again when you get some seat time w/ them.

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Yeah, they are actually 1/4" longer from the center of the bushing holes. I doubt the caster didn't change, I've never heard of a case where the caster stayed the same when these have been installed. At any rate, you should notice a nice change at highway speeds. Post back again when you get some seat time w/ them.
So the update is its a totally new driving experience :) - you know the way a new vehicle ought to be from the factory. Anyone with a Rubicon ought to spend the small amount it takes to do this and make your Jeep safer and more relaxing to drive. Thanks to you all for your excellent help and advice.

OP
OP

bigtreads

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wangler rubicon
Another related question - does the Willys package have the same springs as the Rubicon ? I have a friends wife with one and I am wondering if it has the same problem and she doesn't know it could be better.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another related question - does the Willys package have the same springs as the Rubicon ? I have a friends wife with one and I am wondering if it has the same problem and she doesn't know it could be better.
Glad it was a nice upgrade, still can't believe they refuse to ship these out w/ the proper LCAs.
The Willys shares the same shocks as the Rubicon but I don't believe the springs are the same although they "may" be taller than base Sport/Saharas, but can't confirm that. The longer LCAs will typically raise caster about 1.5 degrees so if the current caster is right around 5 or less it will be a good upgrade there as well.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
The answer is some Rubicons have the same springs as Sports/Willyses, but not all.
Sponsored