2019 JLU Rubicon Premium Soft top rattling

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - White
I have a brand new 2019 JLU Rubicon. It’s approx 3.5 weeks old, 350 miles on it and has the premium soft top. When driving with soft top in fully closed position, any little bump in the road cause’s pretty annoying rattle’s from somewhere up top, sounds like it’s coming from the main soft top bar (with the joint for the sun rider function)/top of the b/c pillar area. I took the top down and looked over everything and couldn’t really figure it out. Didn’t notice anything out of place. This is really irritating considering it’s a brand new 50,000.00 vehicle. Any help would be beyond greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have one intermittently but haven’t been able to find it by manually shaking different parts of the top while parked. And of course when my wife drove so I could try to locate it, it didn’t do it then. Some will say it’s a Jeep thing but I’m not ready to accept that just yet.

OP
OP

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one intermittently but haven’t been able to find it by manually shaking different parts of the top while parked. And of course when my wife drove so I could try to locate it, it didn’t do it then. Some will say it’s a Jeep thing but I’m not ready to accept that just yet.

I hear you on that. I am not ready to accept it either. It’s going into dealer next week!

Sponsored

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
After I installed my soft top last summer, I noticed a rattle coming from behind me. I looked all over, couldn't find the source. This summer, I helped a friend install a Bestop NX top, and noticed that the c pillar behind the rear passenger bolted to the Jeep, while mine merely sat on the body. I drilled a hole that matches up to the hard top mounting nut and haven't had any trouble since.

OP
OP

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After I installed my soft top last summer, I noticed a rattle coming from behind me. I looked all over, couldn't find the source. This summer, I helped a friend install a Bestop NX top, and noticed that the c pillar behind the rear passenger bolted to the Jeep, while mine merely sat on the body. I drilled a hole that matches up to the hard top mounting nut and haven't had any trouble since.
Very interesting! Thank you. However I refuse to drill into my vehicle considering it’s 3.5 weeks old lol!!!

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Would you like a photo?

Sponsored

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I had to use a shorter bolt as the factory hex head wouldn't fit. I threaded the bolt in up from the bottom with the c pillar to Mark the spot and drilled it out. No problems since.

IMG_20190623_131725403.jpg

IMG_20190623_131738014.jpg

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
This is the source of my rattle. Very noticeable when the top is down and no tension on the plastic.

OP
OP

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you brother, great pictures! However, I’m almost certain my rattles are coming from up top. I took 3/8th rubber grommets and placed them underneath in the holes that those plastic pieces go into. Did it on both sides and now they’re super solid, but the noise still exists which means it’s not coming from that area. It’s going to the dealer this week. If they can’t figure out how to silence it, I’ll make them order me an entire new soft top and windows. I already have an open case with the FCA and I’m prepared to raise hell until this is solved.

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Thank you brother, great pictures! However, I’m almost certain my rattles are coming from up top. I took 3/8th rubber grommets and placed them underneath in the holes that those plastic pieces go into. Did it on both sides and now they’re super solid, but the noise still exists which means it’s not coming from that area. It’s going to the dealer this week. If they can’t figure out how to silence it, I’ll make them order me an entire new soft top and windows. I already have an open case with the FCA and I’m prepared to raise hell until this is solved.
Check the torx bolts that mount the brackets to the roll bar in the cargo area. And where the spreader bars mount to these brackets.
Mine loosened up and rattled a little but the plastic around the doors were the main cause of my noises.

It is possible it’s broken/damaged in the tracks or cables. If the top can’t maintain tension or lockout the top when up the parts will flex or rattle. Good luck.

OP
OP

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the torx bolts that mount the brackets to the roll bar in the cargo area. And where the spreader bars mount to these brackets.
Mine loosened up and rattled a little but the plastic around the doors were the main cause of my noises.

It is possible it’s broken/damaged in the tracks or cables. If the top can’t maintain tension or lockout the top when up the parts will flex or rattle. Good luck.
Checked those too, all nice and tight. Mine sounds like it’s coming from above, perhaps the spreader bars or like you said within the tracks/cables. Either way it shouldn’t make noise when going over soft bumps in the road. Thanks brother
Sponsored