- factory 285/17 all terrain tires
- side mirrors mounted so they can be used without doors
- modernized dash/interior
- rain-proof and hoseable electronics
- more adjustable rear seats
- better gas mileage
- manual transmission
- side airbags standard
Sounds like the JL will be perfect for you. The only thing unlikely is the side mirrors mounted so they can be used without doors, since they're still door mounted.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wish List {filename}

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT
Vehicle Showcase
i want:
6.4L v8 >> diesel >> whatever
manual trans >> autotragic
HID headlights >> LED headlights; LED fogs are ok
LED tails
level ride height from factory
steel front and rear bumpers
rear carrier capable of supporting 35" stock
8.4" Uconnect
premium leather
front and rear camera

and lastly the 1st one available in my region

ChadR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
IT
I'm interested that the 2018 jeep wrangler maintains the ability to "flat tow" behind a vehicle without requiring the need to disconnect the battery or leave the key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel (needed for turning).

2nd'ly
- backup camera
- TPS monitoring system
- LED lights galore
- "easy" to remove/pull down top
- standard 2" hitch
- dual climate AC/Heat
- a ramp for my dogs :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I know what I don't want... 14 versions like there are for the JK. Makes my head spin...
Yeah, choice is such a burden. :whew:

Might as well go full model T and only offer the Wrangler as a Sahara trim in Black.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wish list is better quality. This would include the following:
  • Headlights that actually, you know, show light
The 2017+ LEDs already do that, better than most of the aftermarket options out there.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
The 2017+ LEDs already do that, better than most of the aftermarket options out there.
I think he's probably referring to the base halogens which look like they will remain for the JL at least on the Sport. I'm not holding my breath that the base headlights will improve at all but at least it's a decent price they are asking for the LED upgrade. I just never understood why it took so long for Jeep to offer this as an option. I mean Jeeps are built for bad weather, dirt roads and trails in the middle of nowhere. You would think good lighting performance would be a priority.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think he's probably referring to the base halogens which look like they will remain for the JL at least on the Sport. I'm not holding my breath that the base headlights will improve at all but at least it's a decent price they are asking for the LED upgrade. I just never understood why it took so long for Jeep to offer this as an option. I mean Jeeps are built for bad weather, dirt roads and trails in the middle of nowhere. You would think good lighting performance would be a priority.
I was simply saying it's no longer a wishlist item, you just need to equip appropriately. Keyless entry, 8-speed, Hemi, or diesel all remain wish list items (well diesel in North 'murica).

I doubt they will add full LED stock to the base until the FCA makes it a negligible issue, through lower costs for them to acquire leading to little to no impact on MSRP, which is still years off IMO.

Also, part of the reason for that is precisely because this is still a built for dirt roads and trails rig, which in that situation benefits more from. $200 54" lightbar & pods than $700 headlight upgrade (both can be cheaper if you go knock-off). Raising the base MSRP to cover the substantial inout cost to FCA would no go over well with people looking for barebones, especially when a $35-70 bulb upgrade best many other vehicles factory defaults. The other problem is that the shape is one that is hard to work with, but making it non-round 7s would've caused more outrage than the mediocre lighting.

I don't go LED because I need ones that don't ice up, and the TruckLites are too expensive for a 20q5 that is about to be swapped for a JLU. If the JL's LEDs remain unheared then I will need to decide on TLs or Hella HIDs, likely the Hellas.

What was likely the motivator in making them stock on some trim levels (TLs and JWS LEDs were MOPAR options since about 2013), was likely the IIHS' headlight testing which put the Wrangler in the Poor category. Of note, from that same test though was that the Wrangler was far from the worst, and that vehicles like a brand new Honda model were at the very bottom of the pile, and not all HIDs and LEDs were at the top, in fact some were beat by the incandescent version in that same model (meaning the premium variant was worse). I think that testing pushed the LEDs from Mopar onto the Build-Sheet.

My other motivation in the original reply was that some people still don't know the 2017 now comes with great LEDs in the Sahara , Rubicon and some special editions, so just making sure that was clear in the context of items that are truly MIA.

I'm all for more stuff, but I think when something becomes and option it no longer qualifies as a wishlist item, so much as a buildsheet checkbox.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't have a problem with the LEDs being an option, but it doesn't excuse them from having the base headlights be so poor. Hopefully they will improve them.

No personal experience with the 2017 JK LEDs but I've heard good things. Will the JL LEDs be the same?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hard to tell because they are camo'ing the headlights, fenders, and grill. They seem to still be testing the incandescent lights based on the recent spy photos (especially the one in L.A. of the mule running a red light), and with that output is unknown, even colour temp is questionable depending on the camer's white balance. But they look similar to stock.

But to be able to tell the type of LED is difficult, cant see the single small leds at the bottom or enough detail to tell from what I've seen.

So I don't think the base get LEDs, but maybe boost bulb quality in the incadescents to Sylvania Ultras (hoping for Phillips Xtreme or Knighthawks is a stretch IMO).

It would make sense to keep the LEDs the same now that they are a stock part and not just a mopar option, so they could focus on the other areas that need improving... from the wishlists above. ;)

Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
There's also this one posted by another member.

I agree with @ThirtyOne the base halogens really need to improve. it's great they have the LED option but many people now are left with a choice between forking over 500-1000+ for aftermarket LEDs (and some are in such cold climates they can't even do this) or be stuck with really poor quality base headlights.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's also this one posted by another member.
Can't tell for sure throuh the rain, but it does look like the 3 leds at the bottom, especially grabbing multiple stils from the video, but could be artifacts of refraction from the rain, but look like the current LEDs.

it's great they have the LED option but many people now are left with a choice between forking over 500-1000+ for aftermarket LEDs (and some are in such cold climates they can't even do this) or be stuck with really poor quality base headlights.
The TruckLites are heated, but again on the higher side of that price range you mention and it is a lot which is why I'm waiting to do it, on the JL.
I do like that the halogen have a bunch of other options including the cheap & easy better bulb that offers a noticeable but lesser boost, or the cheap and a bit of effort H4+reflector swap-out, that's a bit better, etc.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The stock headlights in the JK are so Wretched, they should be replaced by FCA as a matter of Safety, period.
I'm glad that Headlight performance will now be Tested, and included in the Safety score. This will force them to do the "Right Thing"

myopic1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 BMW M Coupe
if you read and abstractly understood my post in full, doing the deadbolt lock on traditional doors would add more wiring and more mechanisms for the deadbolt to come from behind each door.

If suicide doors are used, the mechanism to deploy and retract the deadbolts into the "quick remove" doors, could be from ONE centralized mechanism located in the pillar/frame between the two doors, and house both of them in opposing directions, and thus save ~50% in production costs, power consumed during each lock procedure, etc.

The suicide doors would be function first, cool bling form second.

Capish ?

I'm imagining these as butterfly doors. Would the front be suicide & the rears standard doors?

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I'm imagining these as butterfly doors. Would the front be suicide & the rears standard doors?
The opposite.

Fronts would be normal.
Rear doors on JLU would open with handle towards B-pillar, and hinges towards C-pillar.

Power deadbolt would extend in both directions into female fitting in each door, eliminating wiring harness which would make doors quicker to remove.

Sponsored

Last edited: